pixeltracker

Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!- Page 6

Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!

teatime2
#125Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 12:48pm

Y'all are just racist. If this was a Straight White Man you'd be saying how brave he is. Who gives a crap if she has retired and came back?? Get over yourself.

LarryD2
#126Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 12:50pm

ctorres23 said: "This is off-topic but on my mind as both this and the JLP thread are popping right now. Is Karen Olivo non-binary? They have "they" listed as their pronoun, and I've seen it used all over the place when they refer to them (the last "they" in this sentence references the collective authors using the pronoun, not Olivo)

Can someone clarify this? Like if an article referred to "non-binary actor Karen Olivo" would that be accurate?
"

On Karen's Twitter and Instagram profiles, she states that she uses "she" and "they" pronouns. Pronouns don't necessary equal gender identity, though, and I've never seen a direct statement about it.

#127Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 12:53pm

teatime2 said: "Y'all are just racist. If this was a Straight White Man you'd be saying how brave he is. Who gives a crap if she has retired and came back?? Get over yourself."

For what it's worth, if Hugh Jackman announced tomorrow he was quitting The Music Man, I would think that was stupid.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#128Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 1:05pm

neat

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

leefowler
#129Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 1:13pm

Over 100 posts in, and I still feel I need to ask the question: what is it that Karen wants to happen, exactly?

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#130Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 1:22pm

leefowler said: "Over 100 posts in, and I still feel I need to ask the question: what is it that Karen wantsto happen, exactly?"

Try re-reading the 100 posts then. Several posters, including myself, have devoted multiple posts to trying to answer your question. Let us know if there are specific things about those posts that you feel need clearing up, or as the case may be, disagree with. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#131Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 1:26pm

Everyone gender non-conforming person has a different relationship with labels and pronouns, etc. But based on their pronouns, I would say it's probably a safe bet to refer to them as non-binary until we hear otherwise from them 

Updated On: 4/16/21 at 01:26 PM

BWAY Baby2
#132Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 1:26pm

Woke nonsense.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#133Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 2:25pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Woke nonsense."

"woke" means "alert to injustice in society, especially racism." If you think that's nonsense then ewww on you.

LizzieCurry
#134Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 2:48pm

Related reading: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/cancel-culture-background-black-culture-white-grievance/2021/04/01/2e42e4fe-8b24-11eb-aff6-4f720ca2d479_story.html

Anyway, I know theatre people can be ridiculous, but the number of people who felt the need to weigh in on matters that are easier to discuss rather than the problem at hand is self-parody at this point.

Yeah, I'm linking to All That Chat for a post I also consider required reading. Don't worry, it's short. 

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/d.php?id=2509552

Hairspray0901
#135Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 3:05pm

I turned on my TV today right as Karen was being interviewed by someone on Fox5. I am unsure how or if they cut and spliced the conversation but here was the quote:
Reporter Voiceover: “...asked if there was any chance she’d ever return to Broadway but she offered one of her sharpest critiques of the business”
Cut to a video of Karen: “under the current model? I just don’t even know...a model that’s steeped in white supremacy? And like...its’s just like....uh...no”. And you see her laugh.
Reporter voiceover: “whether she ever returns, that she says, depends on the industry herself.”

I think their initial video makes a valid point but after seeing part of (again - I didn’t see the entire story, nor do I know how or if it was cut and spliced) this interview I’m now wondering what their goal is? Because initially she talked about how money in pockets is not more important than human life but now they’re saying Broadway is steeped in white supremacy. So I’m honestly unsure what message they are trying to put across.

What I hope happens in regard to the Scott Rudin story is that Sutton Foster and Hugh Jackman (both seemingly well off and they both seemingly don’t NEED this show) make a statement. I hope they bow out of the Music Man, or maybe give an ultimatum if possible - fire scott or we walk...sort of thing.

cliffordbradshaw2
#136Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 3:44pm

Not to change the subject, a trivial, somewhat off-topic question: Does anyone know if Lincoln Center Library's Theatre on Film and Tape collection recorded the show with Karen?

Updated On: 4/16/21 at 03:44 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#137Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 4:08pm

There's a house recording floating around somewhere. There's also several slime tutorials I found on YT. 

QueenTwinnied
#138Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 6:42pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Woke nonsense."

Okay Republican 

Zion24
#139Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/16/21 at 7:36pm

QueenTwinnied said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "Woke nonsense."

Okay Republican
"

Woke insanity is very real-- on left AND right, by the way-- and i say this as a center-left Democrat. 

that said, wanting to rid an industry of abusive personalities is not a woke thing. it just makes sense. (karen olivo's stunt notwithstanding). 

LizzieCurry
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#141Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:16am

Scott Rudin has owned up to his bull**** and is stepping down from all of his Broadway projects.

Hopefully Karen didn’t pack up her stuff from her dressing room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/scott-rudin-broadway-producer-abuse-allegations/2021/04/17/f3d0ba88-9f0c-11eb-9d05-ae06f4529ece_story.html

LizzieCurry
#142Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:30am

I don't think whatever his reaction was going to be was directly contingent on her returning or not. Especially if you read the American Theatre interview.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#143Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:42am

cliffordbradshaw2 said: "Not to change the subject,a trivial, somewhat off-topic question: Does anyone know if Lincoln Center Library's Theatre on Film and Tape collection recorded the show with Karen?"

A woman from Europe seated next to me recorded the show in HD from a top knot bun in her hair. I alerted staff but she left before they got to her. She has a very good recording somewhere. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#144Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:57am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Scott Rudin has owned up to his bull**** and is stepping down from all of his Broadway projects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/scott-rudin-broadway-producer-abuse-allegations/2021/04/17/f3d0ba88-9f0c-11eb-9d05-ae06f4529ece_story.html
"

Scott Rudin is by far not the only person in the theatre industry who match his toxic behavior. Her statement was never truly just about Rudin. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#145Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 12:03pm

Olivo’s American Theatre interview clarifies a lot. It would have been helpful if she had made those points in her Instagram video, but she makes some valid criticisms in the interview and I get it now.

bear88
#146Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 12:18pm

Olivo wasn't terribly specific in her statement, but I never had the impression when watching that it was really about Scott Rudin. The lack of any response to the story on Rudin was the only specific thing she mentioned, an easy thing to call out that didn't happen.

That said, a question for everyone, because I don't know the answer:

If Karen Olivo stays quiet earlier this week, does Scott Rudin "step aside" today?

On one level, it's hard to imagine Olivo's announcement having that sort of immediate impact. She's not a household name, had no direct connection to Rudin or his shows, and wasn't joined by other Broadway stars. (The response here was dismissive by many, with several saying the Moulin Rouge producers were planning to get rid of her or just saying she just bailing to go back to her teaching job.)

But I can imagine her statement increasing pressure on Rudin not to screw up Broadway's high-stakes reopening. Rudin, for the all his seemingly fearsome power, is just one independent producer. The last thing other producers, landlords and New York officials would want is this sort of controversy shadowing what will already be a difficult reopening.

If it's the latter, Olivo may have had a bigger impact on Broadway with her statement than she did in any of her starring roles.

SouthernCakes
#147Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 1:41pm

I’m still team Olivio because I respect anyone for putting themselves out there (question about the pronouns: it’s listed as she/they, so in writing you wouldn’t put “hers” you’d put “they?” But you’d write “she said” and not “they said?” Just trying to understand it grammatically)

But I’m still confused on the WHAT. Like, I get all the points being made but what is suppose to happen? The Union crumbles? People resign? I’m just confused as to what is suppose to happen moving forward! I read the American Theater article and not sure I understood their points.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#148Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 1:55pm

I admire Olivo for speaking out against abusive personalities in the industry but I don't think she herself moved the needle that much. It's probably the deep pockets funding Rudin's shows that decided they didn't want to be associated with such a radioactive personality. 

Owen22
#149Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/17/21 at 2:10pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Scott Rudin has owned up to his bull**** and is stepping down from all of his Broadway projects.

"

Karen is leaving because Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster (or Audra McDonald or Judy Kuhn) refused to acknowledge The Hollywood Reporter article.