pixeltracker

WAITRESS to return to B'way, possible filming; will SIX leave Brook Atkinson?- Page 5

WAITRESS to return to B'way, possible filming; will SIX leave Brook Atkinson?

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#100Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 1:53pm

Sutton Ross said: "Sara is such a wonderful Jenna and I hope Gavin comes back with her as Pomatter. If Gavin starts the run with Sara and leaves with her in mid October, I hope that his replacement will be a man of color since the previous Broadway run never had a man of color as Pomatter.

I hope they cast a man of color right from the jump. Joshua Henry and Brandon Victor Dixon would both be perfection.
"

Those are BOTH inspired casting choices.

BCfitasafiddle
#101Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 2:02pm

During its original run, I really wanted to see Derrick Baskin take on the role of Dr. Pomatter. A voice that's smooth as can be, but he's so lovable and can play the awkwardness of a person so well. 

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#102Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 2:54pm

I'll also be there for the first performance on 9/2.  I wasn't able to catch Sara during the original run, so glad I'll get a chance to see her in the role!  How will this return engagement be treated in terms of award eligibility?  I believe the usual rule is that only new performers or aspects of the production are eligible.  Would this mean that Sara will be eligible for the 2022 Tony for Best Leading Actress in a Musical?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#103Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 3:07pm

I know it isn't eligible for Revival of a Musical (at least 3 years has not passed between closing night of the last B'way production and opening of this one), but I'm not sure about the acting categories.

Waitress is also ineligible for score, book, choreography, direction, orchestrations, and the design categories.

Oh look, a bibu!

Alexander Lamar
#104Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 3:38pm

I’d love to see Marisha Wallace in….ANYTHING but she seems to be loving London and it’s loving her in return.

I definitely would love to see Nicolette or Shoshana return.

Having said that, I know nothing about the show except “She Used To Be Mine”….would the Dr. role be suited to Leslie? Maybe he and Nicolette could do it together.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#105Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 3:52pm

Marisha was teasing about a US appearance in the future not too long ago, so it's definitely possible she might be. I'm crossing my fingers. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 7/7/21 at 03:52 PM

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#106Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 4:00pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Marisha was teasing about a US appearances in the future not to long ago, so it's definitely possible she might be. I'm crossing my fingers."

She’s absolutely incredible and deserves the success she’s getting but when I saw her and Sara in Feb 2020 just before the first lockdown she was sleepwalking through the performance. I’m not exaggerating when I say not a single emotion crossed her face during that entire performance.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#107Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 4:13pm

Having said that, I know nothing about the show except “She Used To Be Mine”….would the Dr. role be suited to Leslie? Maybe he and Nicolette could do it together. "

I don't think they'd feel comfortable leaving their newborn at the same time, so I don't think so.

PlayItAgain
#108Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 4:32pm

I would be very surprised if the show returns with anyone that hasn't already done it in some way (prior broadway, tour, west end), especially if it ends up being filmed they want people who will already have the show down, not anyone feeling it out and getting into down for a few weeks of "previews"

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#109Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 5:51pm

Sutton Ross said: "Just be aware of your surroundings, that's really it.

How exciting for Waitress fans! I saw it with Jesse so I'm good but I heard Sara was perfect, I hope they bring back Christopher Fitzgerald as Ogie because he was such a crowd favorite.
"

Fitzgerald is still with Company, so I doubt he’ll be able to be back in it. I wouldn’t be mad about whoever they decide to bring back, but I think Eddie Jamison would be wonderful.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SouthernCakes
#110Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 6:04pm

Can we get Leslie Jordan as Old Joe?

JSquared2
#111Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 6:45pm

SouthernCakes said: "Can we get Leslie Jordan as Old Joe?

Sure. But the character would be named Old ‘Mo. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#112Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 8:21pm

Sutton Ross said: "Having said that, I know nothing about the show except “She Used To Be Mine”….would the Dr. role be suited to Leslie? Maybe he and Nicolette could do it together. "

I don't think they'd feel comfortable leaving their newborn at the same time, so I don't think so.
"

Their “newborn” will be ~8 months old by the time mid-October comes around… well after the timeframe of a normal maternity/paternity leave ends and people get back to work. Besides, their parenting decisions are no ones business but their own. That being said, I doubt they’d both do the show anyway. 

“Fitzgerald is still with Company, so I doubt he’ll be able to be back in it.”

Company begins performances November 15th, so he very well could return for Sara’s run and jump into rehearsals 4 weeks  before first preview. He did Waitress for so long I’m sure he could jump right back in no sweat. 

“Especially if it ends up being filmed they want people who will already have the show down, not anyone feeling it out and getting into down for a few weeks of "previews"”

One would assume if they plan to film it will be with Sara. 

Updated On: 7/7/21 at 08:21 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#113Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 8:43pm

I saw the show first on tour and was surprised to discover Old Joe is usually a white role. Maybe the rhythms of the dialogue were massaged slightly for a black actor, but the role seems to be coded so heavily as Old Black Man that it feels weird to see it the other way now. If he can still sing at all, I wouldn’t mind seeing a legend from the sixties or seventies like Garrett Morris do the role.

BCfitasafiddle
#114Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 8:51pm

darquegk said: "I saw the show first on tour and was surprised to discover Old Joe is usually a white role. Maybe the rhythms of the dialogue were massaged slightly for a black actor, but the role seems to be coded so heavily as Old Black Man that it feels weird to see it the other way now. If he can still sing at all, I wouldn’t mind seeing a legend from the sixties or seventies like Garrett Morris do the role."

I saw Waitress a few times and can say that I loved Larry Marshall as Old Joe the most. Just so sweet.

Sutton Ross
#115Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 9:07pm

Their “newborn” will be ~8 months old by the time mid-October comes around… well after the timeframe of a normal maternity/paternity leave ends and people get back to work. Besides, their parenting decisions are no ones business but their own. That being said, I doubt they’d both do the show anyway. 

Lolz, I did not miss you around here, that's for sure. And their baby is still a new born according to anyone with a brain. When the show comes back, it will be an infant. However, Nic wrote a lot about missing her daughter deeply every single night she was in Waitress, and she wasn't even in it for very long. So, again, it would make sense that they would not do Waitress together, as they are very family oriented. And you are right, it's none of anyone's business, including yours. And if you actually believe that, you wouldn't be commenting on it either. Thanks so much though. 

But, none of this matters honestly. He is not right for the role, anyways.

Updated On: 7/7/21 at 09:07 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#116Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 9:45pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "darquegk said: "I saw the show first on tour and was surprised to discover Old Joe is usually a white role. Maybe the rhythms of the dialogue were massaged slightly for a black actor, but the role seems to be coded so heavily as Old Black Man that it feels weird to see it the other way now. If he can still sing at all, I wouldn’t mind seeing a legend from the sixties or seventies like Garrett Morris do the role."

I saw Waitress a few times and can say that I lovedLarry Marshall as Old Joe the most. Just sosweet.
"

Larry Marshall was superb as old joe. Saw him on Broadway and on tour and both times he made me teary eyed.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 7/8/21 at 09:45 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#117Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 10:36pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lolz, I did not miss you around here, that's for sure.”

Lolz, the feeling is soooooo mutual girl. Xoxo. 

Sutton Ross
#118Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 10:40pm

Waitress

PlayItAgain
#119Waitress
Posted: 7/7/21 at 10:40pm

“Especially if it ends up being filmed they want people who will already have the show down, not anyone feeling it out and getting into down for a few weeks of "previews"”

One would assume if they plan to film it will be with Sara.
"

I ment the rest of the cast, you want to film it with everyone at the top of their game not with cast members who have literally only been doing the show for 3 weeks before it goes to tape 

Zion24
#120Waitress
Posted: 7/8/21 at 2:45am

i only saw the show once- great music, otherwise meh- but I can't see Josh Henry or BVD taking on Pommater- its not really a very showy/meaty role? Seems like a waste of their insane talent? 

I did get to see Shoshana Bean absolutely tear the roof off the theater early in her run (her voice, while still beautiful, was significantly diminished towards the end of it) and thought she gave a really strong performance over all. Would love if it were filmed but of course they will film Sara. 

smidge
#121Waitress
Posted: 7/8/21 at 9:30am

JDonaghy4 said: "i only saw the show once- great music, otherwise meh- but I can't see Josh Henry or BVD taking on Pommater- its not really a very showy/meaty role? Seems like a waste of their insane talent?

I did get to see Shoshana Bean absolutely tear the roof off the theater early in her run (her voice, while still beautiful, was significantly diminished towards the end of it) and thought she gave a really strong performance over all. Would love if it were filmed but of course they will film Sara.

I think these talents would be doing Pommater for Sara, not for the role. Jeremy Jordan, Gavin Creel and Jason Mraz probably didn’t sign up just to do this character.

Alexander Lamar
#122Waitress
Posted: 7/8/21 at 11:53am

Has the filming been confirmed yet?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#123Waitress
Posted: 7/8/21 at 12:02pm

They probably won't confirm it until we see trucks outside the theater. They don't want the filming to affect ticket sales right now

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#124Waitress
Posted: 7/9/21 at 4:53pm

smidge said: "JDonaghy4 said: "i only saw the show once- great music, otherwise meh- but I can't see Josh Henry or BVD taking on Pommater- its not really a very showy/meaty role? Seems like a waste of their insane talent?

I think these talents would be doing Pommater for Sara, not for the role. Jeremy Jordan, Gavin Creel and Jason Mraz probably didn’t sign up just to do this character.
"

YES! Hopefully she can replace Sara in October. 

Videos