pixeltracker

DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread

DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 10:10am

Releases on September 24! It is now available for pre-order and the track "The World Fell in Love" can now be streamed/downloaded.

"'It’s a great song for people who haven’t yet seen the show,' says Roe Hartrampf, who plays Prince Charles. 'It’s a pivotal moment in the first act, when Charles for the first time sees the potential Diana has in a public setting, the way she can capture people’s hearts. It surprises him and also makes him anxious. The first half of act one is very much the fairy tale of them meeting and sparks flying, then immediately after their wedding is this moment that Charles thinks will be his time to shine but that gets completely flipped on its head. This song introduces his misgivings about who he thought Diana was versus who she actually is; it’s him seeing that for the first time.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6yjY4s3ECw

Thoughts below peeps.

Life is the most precious gift in the world... embrace every moment

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 10:17am

The full track listing is as follows:

ACT I 
1. Prologue 
2. Underestimated 
3. The Worst Job In England 
4. This Is How Your People Dance 
5. Snap, Click 
6. Whatever Love Means Anyway 
7. I Will 
8. The World Fell In Love 
9. Happiness/Simply Breathe 
10. She Moves in The Most Modern Ways 
11. Diana (The Rage) 
12. As I Love You 
13. I Miss You Most on Sundays 
14. Pretty, Pretty Girl

ACT II 
15. Here Comes James Hewitt 
16. Him and Her (And Him And Her)/Just Dance 
17. Secrets and Lies 
18. The Main Event 
19. Whatever Love Means Anyway (Reprise) 
20. Pretty, Pretty Girl (Reprise) 
21. The Words Came Pouring Out 
22. The Dress 
23. An Officer’s Wife 
24. If (Light the World)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 12:24pm

Right near its October 1 Netflix release. Smart. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 12:56pm

I really did love this show and it’s throwback 80s rock score.

Can’t wait for everyone here to rip it apart in a few months. lol

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 12:58pm

I’m excited to hear the full score. I love all the songs they’ve released so far.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#6DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 1:07pm

Saw "Diana" in LaJolla (twice) and loved it (twice).

Non sibi sed patriae

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 1:22pm

Of note, "The World Fell in Love" was not in the pre-B'way tryout. The entire ensemble sounds flawless on this cut. Roe Hartrampf is a pleasant surprise and I can't wait to see him make his "Broadway debut" (notice the air quotes) this October.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#8DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 1:45pm

In 1991, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip briefly visited Dallas.  I stood perhaps 10 feet from them as the Royal couple entered an historic downtown hotel.  I was very disappointed that Princess Diana had not traveled with them.  Imagine being disappointed that I got to see "only" the Queen and Prince.  But that's the pull Diana had on me.  I still miss her.  She was a good woman.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 7/23/21 at 01:45 PM

FranklinDickson2018
#9DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/23/21 at 4:48pm

Why do I hear warmed-over "Evita" in this song?   The structure, the harmonies, the melody. 

Listen to when they sing "she hardly knows what she's doing but she does it awfully well"  and what follows.  Incredibly similar.   I keep hearing "Oh What a Circus."  (the second part) or other parts of the score.

How is the rest of the score?  

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#10DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 12:37am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXTeByIX5s

Anyone know anything about Call Me Diana? Looks like another Diana-based musical that had an investor showcase at the Leicester Square Theatre on the West End sometime in 2019, still seems as though they're trying to get their feet off the ground based on the description and website. Stumped upon it randomly in my YouTube recommended.

Updated On: 7/24/21 at 12:37 AM

Dolly80
#11DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 8:18am

Got to love the attempt at ‘English’ accents by the cast. Absolutely hilarious. Fire the dialect coach right now.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#12DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 8:30am

I genuinely can’t believe this musical exists and that there’s any positivity being shown toward it. Everything I’ve heard so far has been middling to horrible. And as Dolly80 noted, those ACCENTS. Yikes.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#13DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 8:43am

I was supposed to see this the night Broadway was shut down. Looking forward to seeing it in November now on a weekend trip, though. I just can't decide whether to watch it on Netflix first or not...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Dolly80
#14DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 9:58am

ColorTheHours048 said: "I genuinely can’t believe this musical exists and that there’s any positivity being shown toward it. Everything I’ve heard so far has been middling to horrible. And as Dolly80 noted, those ACCENTS. Yikes."

Agree entirely. I’m sure it’s the same with Brits doing American accents where half the time , they wander through at least 7 States.

I think a show that deals with this story can only ever be tacky, like a Hallmark movie. There’s no way this can have any serious artistic credit to it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#15DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 10:17am

If Evita and Imelda Marcos can sing so can Princess Diana. I’m sure some people will take issue with it. I’m sure the accents aren’t perfect but as noted above, as an American, it’s often difficult to listen to London cast albums with a British cast attempting American accents as well. It goes with the territory.

fosterfan2
#16DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 11:22am

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Why do I hear warmed-over "Evita" in this song? The structure, the harmonies, the melody.

Listen to when they sing "she hardly knows what she's doing but she does it awfully well" and what follows. Incredibly similar. I keep hearing "Oh What a Circus." (the second part) or other parts of the score.

How is the rest of the score?

I noticed that,too. It sounds like the part that begins,"Sing you fools but you've got it wrong..."

"

VintageSnarker
#17DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/24/21 at 11:32am

ColorTheHours048 said: "I genuinely can’t believe this musical exists and that there’s any positivity being shown toward it. Everything I’ve heard so far has been middling to horrible."

Same. What is the context for "This Is How Your People Dance"?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#18DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/25/21 at 1:04am

The song they just released gives me major EVITA vibes. Is the story told in a similar way (more episodic)?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#19DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/25/21 at 7:44am

Dolly80 said: " . . . I’m sure it’s the same with Britsdoing American accents where half the time , they wander through at least 7 States . . . "

I love the way you expressed that   I saw a production of Carousel a thousand years ago in Chichester   I tried to explain to British friends that the accents, while individually authentic, were a hodgepodge of local flavors.  Your description was much more eloquent and clever   (I told them the only thing missing was Rhoda Morgenstern doing a reprise of You’ll Never Walk Alone.  They didn’t get the reference.)

chrishuyen
#20DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/26/21 at 10:04am

VintageSnarker said: "Same. What is the context for "This Is How Your People Dance"?"

Basically Diana and Charles are at a very nice concert with a cellist playing classical music and it's very much not the kind of thing Diana is into, so she imagines herself at a rock concert, with the kind of music she does like. 

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#21DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/26/21 at 1:36pm

Darn, the song this replaced was one of my favs- such a great comedic rock song. This one is just as good musically, but I think actually says much less about the characters.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#22DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/27/21 at 3:10pm

"The Main Event" can now be streamed... does anyone know the context for this number?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk6sv10PZeI

Updated On: 8/27/21 at 03:10 PM

chrishuyen
#23DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/27/21 at 3:30pm

If I'm remembering correctly, Diana finds out about a party of Charles's friends that he is going to with Camilla, and decides to show up with him.  When they get there, Diana and Camilla basically fight openly about their relationships while Charles tries to play peacekeeper, and the staging also makes it seem like they're in a boxing ring of sorts.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#24DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/27/21 at 3:32pm

This is when Diana decides to go to an event that she learns Charles and Camilla will be at after they said they stopped seeing each other, so she goes to confront the mistress. They set the stage up almost like a “boxing ring” and the two circle each other singing the song.

This is an example of why I really liked the show and how it was a real throwback to those big 80s musicals. What’s posted is only a small part of the number.

chrishuyen
#25DIANA Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/27/21 at 3:44pm

Ah, I hadn't realized the video didn't include the full song, but you can hear them going at it in the full song if you have a streaming music service.