pixeltracker

HANGMEN Returns to Broadway - Previews & News Thread

HANGMEN Returns to Broadway - Previews & News Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1HANGMEN Returns to Broadway - Previews & News Thread
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:02am

https://playbill.com/article/martin-mcdonaghs-hangmen-will-return-to-broadway-this-spring

Martin McDonagh's Hangmen will make its long-awaited Broadway premiere this spring. The Olivier-winning comedy will begin previews April 8 for a limited 10-week engagement at the Golden Theatre. Opening night is set for April 21. 

Hangmen had played only 13 preview performances when Broadway went dark in March 2020 and quickly announced that it would officially close and not return to the Great White Way when theatres reopened. At the time of that announcement though, theatres were hoping for an April 2020 return.

Updated On: 4/6/22 at 10:02 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:03am

Now bring back VIRGINIA WOOLF, too!

adotburr
#3McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:27am

Ticket info (via Telecharge): 

American Express Card Members can get early access to tickets thru 2/3 at 9:59am.

Tickets go on sale to Audience Rewards Members on February 3.

Tickets will go on sale to the General Public on February 7.

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#4McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:30am

Totally forgot about this one until I remembered it was starring Dan Stevens and Mark Addy originally. Great to see it come back, and excited to see David Threlfall, who I mostly know from  UK's Shameless, back on Broadway. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano
#5McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:37am

I’m just stoked to see a “new” McDonagh play. He could write the phone book and I’d go see it. (I assume the analogy works for writers, as well) 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:41am

Wow! Fantastic news! Very thrilled for them. For the record: some on this board saw this coming - IIRC, Hangmen was on the list of shows that received SVOG money, so some speculated that a Broadway return would be on the horizon. 

Unfortunately for me, Dan Stevens was my main reason for wanting to go back to see this (I saw it on the West End back in 2016). Sad to have officially missed him, but Alfie Allen seems like a great fit for the role. I may or may not return to see it myself, but like I said: I'm excited for them, and for those that have yet to see the play. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#7McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:49am

Stevens was superb - I saw a preview. But the whole company was perfection. 

Is the set still in the Golden? It was a massive hydraulic driven piece.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/1/22 at 10:49 AM

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#8McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:58am

delete.

Updated On: 2/1/22 at 10:58 AM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#9McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:05pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Now bring back VIRGINIA WOOLF, too!"

YES!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#10McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:35pm

THRILLING news! I was never going to forgive myself for missing this and WOOLF, so now I just need to feel terrible about ONE of those!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:53pm

Auggie27 said: "Is the set still in the Golden? It was a massive hydraulic driven piece."

No, it was dismantled per the NYT. Thoughts of a Colored Man was also in that theatre.

It's a big ol' risk to produce yet another play this season. But there should be plenty of discounts and I'll probably check it out again after seeing it at the Atlantic 4(!!!!) years ago.

CopleyScott17
#12McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 12:59pm

This was a fantastic production. I'm so glad more people will have a chance to see it, even without Dan Stevens, who was remarkable.  This time around, I hope the set/scenic designers get all the awards and accolades they deserve -- stunning work.

52889j
#13McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 1:31pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Now bring back VIRGINIA WOOLF, too!"

Immediately my reaction as well. 

Need Metcalf, Tovey, and Ferran.

Roscoe
#14McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 1:50pm

Excellent news -- Alfie Allen is a welcome addition.  Maybe this will get McDonagh his long overdue Tony.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:31pm

Loved this show. Glad it's coming back!

adotburr
#16McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 2:54pm

Very encouraging that everyone here enjoyed this show! I was supposed to see it at the end of March 2020 but then everything shut down. I won't see it until June but very happy that it is coming back and getting a second chance.

Damiensta
#17McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 8:30pm

Too bad Dan Stevens is not back. I saw right before closing and he was  award worthy, Allie has a great character to work with.

Toll357
#18McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/1/22 at 11:38pm

OMG!!! SAME!

I missed Hangman at the Atlantic and planned to see it spring 2020. AND also Virginia Wolf!

So, I agree... bring them both back!

OffOnBwayHi
#19McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 2:43am

LOL

I saw this before the shutdown. Bringing it back is a waste of resources. It’s just not a great show. lol Give another writer of color a chance and the theater space. Put something new up that continues to progress the landscape of Broadway.

I hope they’re pulling a DIANA and have a Netflix plan or something in place cause chhh… lol Anyone putting additional money up for this has to know it’s basically charity lol

adotburr
#20McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:43am

For those who saw this before the shut down:

is there smoking on stage ? I’m assuming there is because of the setting. 

and, where is this best viewed? Orch or mezz? 

thank you! 

Updated On: 2/2/22 at 07:43 AM

The Other One
#21McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 8:19am

I saw it at the Atlantic.  There is no mezzanine there, but it might be ideal to see it from one on Broadway, or at least from the back half of the orchestra.  The set is striking and can best be appreciated from a bit further back.

OhHiii
#22McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:28am

OffOnBwayHi said: "LOL

I saw this before the shutdown. Bringing it back is a waste of resources. It’s just not a great show. lol Give another writer of color a chance and the theater space. Put something new up that continues to progress the landscape of Broadway.

I hope they’re pulling a DIANA and have a Netflix plan or something in place cause chhh… lol Anyone putting additional money up for this has to know it’s basically charity lol
"

You do realize there are 20+ theaters sitting empty on Broadway right now, right? The show was critically lauded and a good deal of buzz around it in 2020. It’s not a stretch to see why they’re bringing it back. 

Apparently getting an entire show company back to work amounts to just charity….

LOL.

OffOnBwayHi
#23McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 1:46pm

OhHiii said: "OffOnBwayHi said: "LOL

"

You do realize there are 20+ theaters sitting empty on Broadway right now, right? The show was critically lauded and a good deal of buzz around it in 2020. It’s not a stretch to see why they’re bringing it back.

Apparently getting an entire show company back to work amounts to just charity….

LOL.
"

LOL Why put a show up that may not finish the entire run (leaving the theater empty AGAIN) and more than likely not make a profit?

A quote in the NYT article from the lead producer, Robert Fox, even admits this:

"I don’t think anybody’s putting it back on because they think they’re going to make a lot of money, but they believe it’s a wonderful play of Martin’s, and hopefully people want to see a dark mystery comedy and enjoy themselves.”

It makes no sense. Put something up in one of the empty theaters that feels like a sure commercial bet, or give a underrepresented writer of color a chance to mount their "wonderful play" on a Broadway stage.

After all the talk these past two years, the industry is doing the same stuff. And it's even more repulsive because many folks, including the lead producer, know what the outcome of this mostly white show will be. 

Jordan Catalano
#24McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 1:53pm

JFC. So now one of Broadways most exciting playwrights shouldn’t get his play put back on because of his race? Your post basically says that if a show is going to lose money anyways than let it be a show by anyone other than a white person. It’s a ridiculous “argument”.

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#25McDonagh’s HANGMEN will return to Broadway
Posted: 2/2/22 at 2:01pm

OffOnBwayHi said: " LOL Why put a show up that may not finish the entire run (leaving the theater empty AGAIN) and more than likely not make a profit?

It makes no sense. Put something up in one of the empty theaters that feels like a sure commercial bet, or give a underrepresented writer of color a chance to mount their "wonderful play" on a Broadway stage.

After all the talk these past two years, the industry is doing the same stuff. And it's even more repulsive because many folks, including the lead producer, know what the outcome of this mostly white show will be.
"

What exactly is your objection? That the play is about Manchester and British people? That it will not turn a profit? That it's a bad play?

Broadway real estate isn't just up for grabs, and plays by "underrepresented writers of color" require producing force behind them, same as anything else. Broadway is not regional theatre, "they" don't just "pick" plays to do — it requires a whole machine to get an individual production on its feet. Hangmen already had a producing team and passionate underwriters before they were shut down. They probably even got some government assistance money, like many productions did.

If you only want to see plays by authors of color, go see For Colored Girls or A Strange Loop and skip this, but to pretend like this is pushing out other plays that are more deserving is just not true. Most likely there will be several empty theaters during the spring season. This is hardly taking away real estate from somebody else. 

Also, commercial theatre isn't charity -- it's tax breaks :)

Updated On: 2/2/22 at 02:01 PM

Videos