pixeltracker

David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists- Page 2

David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists

Dan6
#25David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 2:50pm

As the son of a devoted and beloved career teacher, I'll now be skipping the American Buffalo revival, thank you very much. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#26David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 3:11pm

I know we're supposed to be hardened against these sorts of people, but this really wounded my soul on a deep level.  

MasterThespian 2
#27David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 3:42pm

Damn, guess that serves me right for jumping to his defense earlier. Just saw video of his Fox “teachers” comments…bizarre and sad. No possible way I can defend it..nor would I ever want to try. 

Bwaygurl2
#28David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 3:43pm

Dan6 said: "As the son of a devoted and beloved career teacher, I'll now be skipping the American Buffalo revival, thank you very much."

Apparently all royalties of this play go to his ex-wife so he isn't making money off of it at least. 

seannelly13
#29David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 5:51pm

Is this true? I don't want to support Mamet financially after these horrid comments and while I want to see this revival, I'd skip it because of these comments. I love American Buffalo, having first seen it in London with John Goodman and Damian Lewis.

MemorableUserName
#30David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 6:19pm

I don't know if it's ever been confirmed, but that's the rumor that was circulating when the last American Buffalo revival failed, and it was reported he was heavily involved in the Speed-the-Plow revival while ignoring AB:

https://nypost.com/2008/12/10/when-ex-marks-the-plot/

"What’s behind his indifference to a play that received a New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award and was nominated for several Tonys in 1983?

Mamet couldn’t be reached for comment, but it’s long been rumored that he makes very little money from “American Buffalo.”

Sources say royalties from that play, as well as those from many of his other early works, go to his ex-wife, Lindsay Crouse, who reportedly got them as part of a divorce settlement.

They were married from 1977 to 1990. Mamet married Rebecca Pidgeon in 1991.

“I guess he just doesn’t feel the need to work for his ex-wife,” says a theater executive."

austinyourface
#31David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 6:24pm

Well, I have no doubt he would nevertheless gladly accept a Tony should the revival win one. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#32David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:22pm

WOW!  Glad I posted this - I've learned a lot about Mamet today from everyone. Thanks for this info.  I was going to put 'American Buffalo' into my plans for spring - summer theater, but now I'm not too sure. 

MasterThespian 2
#33David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:31pm

If you’ve already got American Buffalo tickets, doesn’t appear that Telecharge is allowing any refunds. Has anyone tried yet?

Det95
#34David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:49am

MasterThespian 2 said: "If you’ve already got American Buffalo tickets, doesn’t appear that Telecharge is allowing any refunds. Has anyone tried yet?"

I swapped out my tickets when the set pics dropped to move a couple rows back. The refund button was there on my order page. 

Tom5
#35David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 9:38am

The same time Mamet's politics went extreme right his plays went extreme south. If you put up a graft of the two the lines would follow together. 

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#36David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 11:06am

Mamet knows exactly what he's doing, same thing with DeSantis in Florida, etc. The Republicans are betting a pedo-witchhunt will get them more votes in Nov. and 2024 than a coherent political platform. 

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 11:06 AM

Alex Kulak2
#37David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 11:28am

sinister teashop said: "Mamet knows exactly what he's doing, same thing with DeSantis in Florida, etc. The Republicans are betting a pedo-witchhunt will get them more votes in Nov. and 2024 than a coherent political platform."

This whole thing is watered-down QAnon talking points. It's too implausible to say that there are thousands of pedophiles and abused children that are just hidden in the most public areas of our society, but to say that children could be be groomed by a small group of teachers, when parents already hate teachers?

Let's just hope they don't keep going along with the QAnon ideas.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 11:59am

Small Group? He implied practically ALL teachers - especially if male.   Disgusting excuse for a human.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sinister teashop
#39David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 12:28pm

Let's just hope they don't keep going along with the QAnon ideas."

I'm afraid the Republicans will keep going with the Q stuff because it works. It was working for them even before Trump got into office with the demonization of Hilary Clinton via Pizzagate. When it stops working for them they'll shift to something equally destructive. 

Meanwhile I have to ask myself why all these people are continuing to produce Mamets' work aside from money? The author has been using productions of his plays to shout fire in a crowded room for some time now. The solution is to not give him anymore oxygen. Openly challenging him however would be fuel for his fire and give him the platform he craves to expound on cancel culture, etc.

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 12:28 PM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#40David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 12:39pm

Interesting that his Levin interview on FOX was after his interview with Maher. I'm sure Maher would've concentrated on his QAnon talking points and his 'pedo teacher' theories on Friday night. (I've been looking for the Maher interview on line to post here, but no luck). 

I also read on another forum that Mamet's mother was a teacher. 

Rainah
#41David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 12:42pm

Back to the subject... I mean, people like their entertainment to be entertaining, breaking news?

While I like media that makes you challenge or question, I think people (playwrights) forget sometimes that the primary job of any play is to entertain. It's great if it does both, but if I had to pick one I'd pick entertaining shows that are basically fluff over challenging shows that are boring and miserable.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#42David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 1:00pm

Entertain has two meanings - 

provide (someone) with amusement or enjoyment.

AND/OR

give attention or consideration to (an idea, suggestion, or feeling).

The Color Purple, Silkwood, Schindler's List all fit the 2nd definition, not the first.   I'll gladly accept those things. I don't have anything against movies (or plays) that more actively set out to capture the first meaning either.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sinister teashop
#43David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 1:20pm

The root of the word "entertain" means to hold the attention of... that can be through fluff, click-bait or philosophical inquiry. It depends on who you are and what holds your attention. One audience might be fascinated by something that another is bored by. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#44David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 1:58pm

sinister teashop: Meanwhile I have to ask myself why all these people are continuing to produce Mamets' work aside from money? The author has been using productions of his plays to shout fire in a crowded room for some time now. The solution is to not give him anymore oxygen. Openly challenging him however would be fuel for his fire and give him the platform he craves to expound on cancel culture, etc.

After all that we have been through in the past two years, the last thing that I was expecting to go on at the coveted Circle in the Square was a Mamet play. But there you have it and no one really said anything.  I kind of wondered well if you’re going to go Mamet, why not the female Glengarry that Amy Morton was slated to direct?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#45David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 2:14pm

That's it! **** You David Mamet, *** you.

You used to be a hero to me as a playwright, a total hero, but I will no longer support your work (not that it's been any good for years). I have supported your work since I first fell in love with theatre, even through the recent s**t output you have passed off as plays. I even turned a blind eye to the fact your Trump supporting right wing extremist views go against everything I believe, but enough is enough. Between your recent article, and TV appearances just spouting hate and negativity, even towards Broadway, and now THIS ABOUT TEACHERS, all whist 'promoting' a revival of one of your decent plays on BROADWAY.

You are scum sucking trash who now exists only to spout venom. You no longer add anything to the world that I have any interest in hearing. You are a bitter out of touch bigot who has  **** over his own legacy.

I'm so upset, heroes always disappoint.  

From a longtime fan.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#46David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 2:24pm

This just solidifies my reason why I've always preferred "About Last Night..." over "Sexual Perversity in Chicago".

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#47David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:41pm

Dan6 said: "As the son of a devoted and beloved career teacher, I'll now be skipping the American Buffalo revival, thank you very much."

How can the child of an educator make such a dumb comment or have so little ability to analyze a work apart from the artist? This is an embarrassingly sophomoric take.

Going to AB will not in any way harm any teacher. It won't even make Mamet money, but that hardly matters--he should make money for a quality work of art, whether he holds opinions on other subjects you or I radically disagree with or not (college prof of over 13 years standing, here, btw).

You're basically doing the same thing conservatives do when they won't allow their children to be taught by "liberals" or LGBT persons, or want both driven out of the profession--mixing up a person's ability to do their work and provide a quality experience with a judgement of their personal opinions/private life. 

If AB--or any Mamet work--espoused a belief you don't support, I'd understand and support your unwillingness to attend a production. But you're saying you won't deign to watch what you otherwise would have been eager to see because of an unrelated personal opinion. This sort of politicization of art and artists is exactly what most liberals have fought against forever. And now here are liberals taking up the tactics of Bible belt Republicans. God. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#48David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:55pm

Thank YOU very much, Dan6 !!  And my thanks as well to your career teacher parent.  Mamet is a thug.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 4/12/22 at 08:55 PM

Dan6
#49David Mamet on Bill Maher's REAL TIME: 75% of theater audiences are NYC tourists
Posted: 4/12/22 at 9:16pm

• joevitus said: "Dan6 said: "As the son of a devoted and beloved career teacher, I'll now be skipping the American Buffalo revival, thank you very much."

How can the child of an educator make such a dumb comment or have so little ability to analyze a work apart from the artist? This is an embarrassingly sophomoric take.

Going to AB will not in any way harm any teacher. It won't even make Mamet money, but that hardly matters--he should make money for a quality work of art, whether he holds opinions on other subjects you or I radically disagree with or not (college prof of over 13 years standing, here, btw).

You're basically doing the same thing conservatives do when they won't allow their children to be taught by "liberals" or LGBT persons, or want both driven out of the profession--mixing up a person's ability to do their work and provide a quality experience with a judgement of their personal opinions/private life.

If AB--or any Mamet work--espoused a belief you don't support, I'd understand and support your unwillingness to attend a production. But you're saying you won't deign to watch what you otherwise would have been eager to see because of an unrelated personal opinion. This sort of politicization of art and artists is exactly what most liberals have fought against forever. And now here are liberals taking up the tactics of Bible belt Republicans. God.
"

You're inferring a tremendous amount from my one-sentence comment. I actually do understand that there is a difference between an artist and their art. And to take up your LGBT teacher analogy, I am not trying to legislate away Mamet's rights, to shut down the production, or even to tell other people not to attend. Nor does this have anything to do with trying to deprive him of a few bucks from my ticket, even assuming he would receive it. I'm simply saying that this is a deeply personal issue for me, and I find these particular comments so loathsome and beyond the pale that I know that I would have a hard time compartmentalizing all of that in my mind and enjoying the play (of which I have seen several previous productions). It's the same reason that I won't be going to see "MJ." If you feel differently, you should feel free to go. And that, by the way, is what separates me from a "Bible belt Republican."

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 09:16 PM

Videos