pixeltracker

AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews- Page 2

AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews

willep
#25AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:10pm

Matt Rogers said: "willep said: "I’d wager there are a lot of people, myself included, who have no idea what you are talking about re Mamet’s recent remarks."

If you truly have no idea, all it takes is a very quick Google search. Dozens of stories will come flying up.
"

Yes, I’m aware of how Google works. But my point still stands that there are probably plenty of people out there that have no idea what Mamet is up to (and aren’t on these boards to have people to tell them to Google him).

MadsonMelo
#26AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:10pm

The reception is good, I gave 4/5 stars, and that NYT review is amazing 

MemorableUserName
#27AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:11pm

Theatrely is positive on Rockwell and Fishburne, negative on Criss and everything else.

"Am I spending too much time on the casting choices? Maybe, but it’s not like Pepe’s direction commanded my attention anywhere else throughout the hour-forty play. Apparently disinterested in the text, or in showing his directorial hand, he lets the cast wander about Scott Pask’s purposely messy set without any ambition, or even pointed aimlessness. He also permits what few moments the script provides for contemporary contemplation — Rockwell’s character angrily calling Fishburne’s a racial epithet, for example — to go uncommented. This laissez-faire directing doesn’t allow the second act’s mounting troubles to build or release; a fight breaks out, sort of, it gets resolved, sort of, the play ends."

https://www.theatrely.com/post/american-buffalo-doesnt-tame-its-beast-review

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#28AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 11:03pm

DTLI Consensus: Loyalty is fine, but call our reviews business.

5 mixed, 4 positive (including Green’s Critic’s Pick).

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/american-buffalo/

Oh look, a bibu!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#30AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 11:29pm

willep said: "Matt Rogers said: "willep said: "I’d wager there are a lot of people, myself included, who have no idea what you are talking about re Mamet’s recent remarks."

If you truly have no idea, all it takes is a very quick Google search. Dozens of stories will come flying up.
"

Yes, I’m aware of how Google works. But my point still stands that there are probably plenty of people out there that have no idea what Mamet is up to (and aren’t on these boards to have people to tell them to Google him).
"

I still don't see your point. People having no idea doesn't give him a pass, instead, the word should be spread louder and faster.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MemorableUserName
#31AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 5:51am

Hollywood Reporter is positive on the cast, negative on the material

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/american-buffalo-david-mamet-1235130707/

MemorableUserName
#32AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 5:55am

Vulture is also positive on the cast, while wrestling with the play and the author. Well-written as always:

American Buffalo: Gorgeous Performances, Small Author Issue

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/american-buffalo-laurence-fishburne-theater-review.html

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#33AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 8:03am

It's really something to see how Mamet's bigoted public statements are overshadowing nearly every review. We'll see how it affects box office, but what a way to tarnish a legacy. And for what?

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#34AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 8:10am

To be fair his legacy has already been tarnished by twenty years of flops, this is like the cherry on top of the s*itcake

OffOnBwayHi
#35AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 8:55am

EthelMae said: "Regardless of reviews, this one is going to be a tough sell after Mr. Mamet’s remarks on FOX. Close it. His mouth, I mean."

lol No one is thinking about his comments outside this board lol

MasterThespian 2
#36AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:06am

<< edited by moderator to remove reference to deleted message >> 

Like all things in life, seems like these reviews are following political lines. The Post liked it while the Guardian didn’t. Anyway, the reviewers I most respect are positive. While I don’t endorse any of Mamet’s recent comments, I want to see this cast at work and will be going in May. Need to separate the artist from the art. Dig deep enough and you can find dirt on any actor, writer, musician, etc. Can’t boycott them all. 

Updated On: 4/15/22 at 09:06 AM

bwayplays
#37AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:15am

MasterThespian 2 said: "Bwaygurl2 said: "Impeach2017 said: "I seem to recall Mr. Criss portraying himself as a gay ally at one time. Of course we all know that the act will be dropped at the first sign of a wad of cash or the prospect of an edgy acting honor. But at any rate, we get to hear of the heartwarming heteronormative news of his child's baby mam giving birth. Good news all around for Mr. Criss."

Super normal take on the situation.
"

Seriously. Did Criss steal your seat on the bus?

Like all things in life, seems like these reviews are following political lines. The Post liked it while the Guardian didn’t. Anyway, the reviewers I most respect are positive. While I don’t endorse any of Mamet’s recent comments, I want to see this cast at work and will be going in May. Need to separate the artist from the art. Dig deep enough and you can find dirt on any actor, writer, musician, etc. Can’t boycott them all.
"

I agree. This is the reason I don’t have any social media. I also couldn’t be bothered to have IG/FB anymore anyway. While I respect their view points, I don’t necessarily need to know them or have them influence if I like a show or not. 

austinyourface
#38AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:22am

MasterThespian 2 said: "Need to separate the artist from the art."

…do we, though? What is this argument aside from a fairly facile cover for people who want an easy out for liking something created by someone they think is gross? It’s the “I don’t see race” equivalent. People don’t often say “I separate the art from the artist” when it’s an artist they personally like. 

I don’t think you can separate art from artist. And I don’t think you should. I think people should grapple with the discomfort of enjoying something created by someone they think is loathsome, not handwave it away. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#39AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:46am

OffOnBwayHi said: "EthelMae said: "Regardless of reviews, this one is going to be a tough sell after Mr. Mamet’s remarks on FOX. Close it. His mouth, I mean."

lol No one is thinking about his comments outside this board lol
"

Except that is absolutely not true.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#40AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 10:31am

I can't wait for Patti LuPone to comment on this.

MasterThespian 2
#41AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 10:34am

Your choice. But where do you draw the line…and how far back do you go? Mozart wasn’t a great guy. If you refuse to associate with any company, artist, actor, writer, musician, etc. that offends you, you’re left with…..what?

A lonely, boring, isolated existence.

JasonC3
#42AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 10:40am

MasterThespian 2 said: "Your choice. But where do you draw the line…and how far back do you go? Mozart wasn’t a great guy. If you refuse to associate with any company, artist, actor, writer, musician, etc. that offends you, you’re left with…..what?

"

Well in this instance we don't have to go any farther back than last week to witness reprehensible comments from the playwright.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#43AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/15/22 at 10:46am

MasterThespian 2 said: "Your choice. But where do you draw the line…and how far back do you go? Mozart wasn’t a great guy. If you refuse to associate with any company, artist, actor, writer, musician, etc. that offends you, you’re left with…..what?

"

There is “being offended”, and then there is lining the pockets with cash of the guy who just stated that male teachers are probably pedophiles. I don’t care how good the set and the acting is. I would not give this production a single dime. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#44AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/18/22 at 12:25am

Seems this is the revival to beat….

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#45AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/18/22 at 11:36am

My partner doesn't want to go to the show anymore because of the recent comments. While I didn't care for the comments either, I still want to go see the show. By all accounts, it's a good production. Honestly, I'm just tired of keeping track of what people say anymore.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

MasterThespian 2
#46AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:34pm

Fishburne out with COVID. Christ, this is so frustrating. It’s buyer beware when purchasing tickets for a star-driven production.

Assume no Telecharge refunds since the show went on with an understudy. I have tickets for mid-May. Really hope I get all three stars. These days, who knows what to expect?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#47AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:43pm

Understudy or not, they're required to offer a refund to anyone who wants one, since they're all above-the-title stars.

mxfish1313
#48AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:49pm

MasterThespian 2 said: "Fishburne out with COVID. Christ, this is so frustrating. It’s buyer beware when purchasing tickets for a star-driven production.

Assume no Telecharge refunds since the show went on with an understudy. I have tickets for mid-May. Really hope I get all three stars. These days, who knows what to expect?
"

Buyer beware, indeed. Just got into town tonight and have tix for AB on Friday. I’m frustrated, but knew this was possible (for all shows). I unfortunately think it’s likely that others could test positive in the coming days and it will be cancelled outright for a week, which would make it impossible for us to see as we’re pretty much booked solid.

MasterThespian 2
#49AMERICAN BUFFALO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:49pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Understudy or not, they're required to offer a refund to anyone who wants one, since they're all above-the-title stars."

Is that how it works? Thanks for the update.