pixeltracker

Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback- Page 4

Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 3:41am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#76Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 3:42am

Patti IS Joanne! Maybe it was a bit over the top and I hope it doesn’t actually create negative buzz for the show/herself/her career but the stan in me is of course eating popcorn and I can’t turn my eyes away. This is just a continuation of the performance. 

WILL SOMEONE GET ME A DRINKKKKKK? SIR PUT THAT F***ING FACE MASK ON RIGHT NOW. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? SHAME. WHAT WOULD THEIR MOTHERS THINK?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

WhoCouldBeBlue Profile Photo
WhoCouldBeBlue
#77Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 7:24am

Ah, the classless, rude, always plays the same part big mouth is at it again!  Will someone please tell LuPone patrons DO pay her salary.  Where does she think her producers get the cash from?!  Nitwit. She’s the perfect reason why Broadway is suffering.  Woke Broadway isn’t working. It’s not just Covid. 

KFC1991
#78Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 7:50am

WhoCouldBeBlue said: "Ah, the classless, rude, always plays the same part big mouth is at it again! Will someone please tell LuPone patrons DO pay her salary. Where does she think her producers get the cash from?! Nitwit. She’s the perfect reason why Broadway is suffering. Woke Broadway isn’t working. It’s not just Covid."

Bless your heart.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#79Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 9:21am

WhoCouldBeBlue said: "Ah, the classless, rude, always plays the same part big mouth is at it again! Will someone please tell LuPone patrons DO pay her salary. Where does she think her producers get the cash from?! Nitwit. She’s the perfect reason why Broadway is suffering. Woke Broadway isn’t working. It’s not just Covid."

Girl, what the **** is “woke Broadway” exactly?

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#80Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:36am

President Biden reminded us today that more than 1,000,000 (ONE  MILLION)  Americans have now died from Covid.  And the number continues to rise.  KEEP  SCREAMING, PATTI  !!

Non sibi sed patriae

Broadway61004
#81Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 11:10am

aces25 said: "I'm not disagreeing with the message or advocating for oneself.

Ask yourself - would you speak the same in this situation and feel you could get away with that behaviour?
"

If someone was endangering myself, my colleagues and all of my patrons and after two minutes of politely telling them to change their dangerous behavior and they still weren't doing it?  You're darn right I would respond that way.  I can't speak for certain about whether I'd "get away with that behavior", but I would 100% respond that way.

Strange Lupone
#82Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 11:36am

Her message is spot on, but her DELIVERY stinks. Again.  She has a very passionate fan base and events like this are, for them, part of her mystique. I just think she’s boorish and classless, here. 

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested Patti “IS” Joanne. I’d counter that Joanne would have have made the audience member either with a look and a well-timed but devastating bon mot. And leave it at that. What Lupone does here is the furthest thing from it. But Stritch, she ain’t.

Again, absolutely the right message. But delivered in a way that makes it all about Patti. Again.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#83Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:09pm

Valentina3 said: "joevitus said: "Lol "Patti's haters...even this." I don't hate her. But she's known for outrageous behavior and overreaction (to the point that Steven Sondheim dressed her down in a letter because of a rude thing she'd wrote to him about another performer). If you love her, not just her talent, I guess it means you love this behavior. I admire her talent and hope she cops another Tony for her Joanne. But I think her behavior is way out of line and ignores the difference between a pre-vaxx, pre-booster world and the one we now live in."

Does it? She had COVID and had to be out of the show barely a few weeks ago, and it wasn't even during one of the "surge" periods in NYC, which we are in now (again). Performers are calling out sick literally every week in most if not all shows because they're testing positive. Hospitals in NYC are once again overwhelmed, and providers have been asked to pick up additional shifts. Not to mention, US hit 1mil mark of people who died of the virus on 3 days ago. Just because some/most of us have gotten tired and don't want to care about it anymore, it doesn't mean the Patti's behavior is not fully and completely justified in the specific context she was in. Also, the most viral clip does not include the part where she asked them very nicely before they escalated it by refusing very rudely.
"

How sick was LuPone? Was she ever in a hospital? And, yes, the number of cases has gone down SEVERELY since the vaccines and boosters have arrived. Also, each variant since Omicron has been weaker than the last. This is not the same issue we were dealing with two years ago.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#84Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:13pm

Highland Guy said: "President Biden reminded us today that more than 1,000,000 (ONE MILLION) Americans have now died from Covid. And the number continues to rise. KEEP SCREAMING, PATTI !!"

It's a declining number of cases. We have that body count because of Trump, because of the idiots who would not quarantine, because those were more lethal strains than what exist now and mostly because we didn't have the vaccines or boosters.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#85Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:17pm

Uh, no. If no one showed up, the production would close, and so the salary would stop, but LuPone would still get whatever she was contractually owed for the weeks she played. Her salary doesn't go up and down depending on the number of people in the audience. So, no, they don't "pay her salary." And certainly that one person doesn't. It's the only part of the tirade where I was in agreement with her. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#86Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:21pm

joevitus said: "Valentina3 said: "joevitus said: "Lol "Patti's haters...even this." I don't hate her. But she's known for outrageous behavior and overreaction (to the point that Steven Sondheim dressed her down in a letter because of a rude thing she'd wrote to him about another performer). If you love her, not just her talent, I guess it means you love this behavior. I admire her talent and hope she cops another Tony for her Joanne. But I think her behavior is way out of line and ignores the difference between a pre-vaxx, pre-booster world and the one we now live in."

Does it? She had COVID and had to be out of the show barely a few weeks ago, and it wasn't even during one of the "surge" periods in NYC, which we are in now (again). Performers are calling out sick literally every week in most if not all shows because they're testing positive. Hospitals in NYC are once again overwhelmed, and providers have been asked to pick up additional shifts. Not to mention, US hit 1mil mark of people who died of the virus on 3 days ago. Just because some/most of us have gotten tired and don't want to care about it anymore, it doesn't mean the Patti's behavior is not fully and completely justified in the specific context she was in. Also, the most viral clip does not include the part where she asked them very nicely before they escalated it by refusing very rudely.
"

How sick was LuPone? Was she ever in a hospital? And, yes, the number of cases has gone down SEVERELY since the vaccines and boosters have arrived. Also, each variant since Omicron has been weaker than the last. This is not the same issue we were dealing with two years ago.
"

It doesn’t matter how sick she was. If she misses performances, ticket sales are majorly affected.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#87Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:47pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "Girl, what the **** is “woke Broadway” exactly?"

If you check out twitter or insta, the MAGA mobs have descended on Broadway/Patti now. She is their latest "woke" target. They just scream WOKE at anything they don't like now. It's not really worth it to try to dissect the true meaning of the word. It's just an insult to them and they think it makes them look smart to use it. But there is really no brain power behind it. Broadway.com's socials bear the brunt of the malice (likely b/c they are a ticket broker and therefore most visible). 

Here's a taste:

"You all are a bunch of [clown emojis]. I hope you all go broke. I'll never go to another Broadway show ever again. Bunch of hypocritical cult followers"

"I really hope you guys go down along with Disney and Hollywood. Go shove your masks up your darkest hole"

Angels, really. All over someone who didn't want to play by the rules which she agreed to when she bought a ticket. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#88Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 12:52pm

TotallyEffed said: "joevitus said: "Valentina3 said: "joevitus said: "Lol "Patti's haters...even this." I don't hate her. But she's known for outrageous behavior and overreaction (to the point that Steven Sondheim dressed her down in a letter because of a rude thing she'd wrote to him about another performer). If you love her, not just her talent, I guess it means you love this behavior. I admire her talent and hope she cops another Tony for her Joanne. But I think her behavior is way out of line and ignores the difference between a pre-vaxx, pre-booster world and the one we now live in."

"

"

It doesn’t matter how sick she was. If she misses performances, ticket sales are majorly affected.
"

I do not think that's where her anger was coming from.

And, to reiterate, I agree with her basic point: wear the mask properly. Respect those around you. But under the current circumstances in the US, wearing the mask incorrectly did not warrant the fury of Armageddon that she unleashed on that poor woman (who, for all we know, was vaxxed and boostered).

WestEndGal
#89Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:09pm

Add me to those who think this was a complete overreaction by Patti, and not a good look. Her point could have been made politely, but as always, she’s loves making a scene and making it all about her! 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#90Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:44pm

WestEndGal said: "Add me to those who think this was a complete overreaction by Patti, and not a good look. Her point could have been made politely, but as always, she’s loves making a scene and making it all about her

KEEP  SCREAMING,  PATTI  !!    You have the public voice that most of us do not have to spread the truth.

Non sibi sed patriae

uncamark
#91Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:47pm

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "Shameful behavior of the audience member. What is "a patriot" doing at a Sondheim genderbent musical?"

I'd like to think that it was the New Yorker who was at a book-signing that Charles Strouse was doing at the Lincoln Plaza Barnes & Noble (this was some years ago) who to his face told him that she hated "Annie."

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#92Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:56pm

I agree with Patti's basic point, but she's at work. The theater is her office. She should have expressed herself in a more professional manner.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#93Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 2:24pm

I love it. TodayTix has a line of merch that either has the full extended quote, or “Chris Harper pays my salary”. I also love that he’s coming out with a statement supporting her. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

anchorduck
#94Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 2:24pm

As someone who watched it all unfold in person, I don't think it was an overreaction. There was build up to it. I do totally understand people can only form their opinions based on the clips going around. From what I saw, I thought Patti tried to solve it politely multiple times during the 30+ minute talkback. Almost from the start Patti was pointing and motioning at them about their masks. When that didn't work, she on mic told them quite relatively nicely. She tried pointing them out to workers or security. She saw the audience member behind them tap the lady on the shoulder and get ignored too. Nothing happened until Patti got back on mic and had the outburst that got recorded.

And this was all throughout a post-show talkback where Patti shared some frustrated thoughts on topics like Broadway producers and the state of women's rights. There was quite a bit for Patti to be upset about. You can say she's just making it about her or whatever, but that's really easy for any of us to say sitting at our computers. I was there and totally felt for her, it seemed like a frustrating night.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#95Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 3:05pm

WestEndGal said: "Add me to those who think this was a complete overreaction by Patti, and not a good look. Her point could have been made politely, but as always, she’s loves making a scene and making it all about her!"

As said multiple times this was not Patti’s first attempt at trying to get the women to pull her mask up over her nose. She tried repeatedly in a polite manner. Understandably, her anger grew and resulted in what’s heard on the 30 second sound bite. And to say she was at her “office” and should have handled it better. The reason people pursue careers in the arts is because they are passionate people who have to create and express themselves. The thought of working in an “office” is absolute torture to most of them. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#96Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 4:10pm

I feel like I'm watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills the way y'all are debating the use of the word "****."

LuPone can do what she wants, as has been proven time and time again. I guarantee she doesn't give a flying about what the critics are saying on BroadwayWorld.com. I recommend that those of use who are enlightened just ignore the trolls hate-mongering in this thread.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Broadway61004
#97Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 4:13pm

poisonivy2 said: "I agree with Patti's basic point, but she's at work. The theater is her office. She should have expressed herself in a more professional manner."

A couple weeks ago, Kyrie Irving (in his office) flipped off Celtics fans over a dozen times just because they were cheering for their team. Patti using one f-word to somebody breaking the rules and endangering everyone around them is nothing.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#98Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 4:22pm

Broadway61004 said: "poisonivy2 said: "I agree with Patti's basic point, but she's at work. The theater is her office. She should have expressed herself in a more professional manner."

A couple weeks ago, Kyrie Irving (in his office) flipped off Celtics fans over a dozen times just because they were cheering for their team. Patti using one f-word to somebody breaking the rules and endangering everyone around them is nothing.
"

Yes and that wasn't okay either. Patti is at work. She should behave like it. Shes just pulling her "I'm Patti" card.

OhHiii
#99Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/12/22 at 4:58pm

So much of this thread absolutely slaps of sexism and misogyny. People have a hard time with outspoken women who advocate for themselves, and that's made itself quite apparent here. 

And before the inevitable pitchforks come out, yes, women can be sexist and misogynistic toward other women, too.