pixeltracker

Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023

Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023

Dark_Vader Profile Photo
Dark_Vader
#2Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 4:26pm

KevinKlawitter said: "Written by Eric Roth (his Broadway debut), directed by Michael Arden"

Interesting. "High Noon" is one of my all time favorite films. I make it a point to watch it every year. Hoping they cast this with some interesting folks. 

Alex Kulak2
#3Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 4:44pm

Haven't seen the movie, but based on the premise:

1) Who thought this story needed to be on Broadway?

2) Why is Michael Arden interested?

That said, Michael Arden is one of the best Broadway directors working right now, so I'm sure he'll be incredible as always.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:31pm

1) Who thought this story needed to be on Broadway?

Eric Roth (one of the most in-demand screenwriters of adaptations the past 25 years) and Paula Wagner (a well-connected film/stage producer who used to be Tom Cruise's business partner) did. That doesn't mean it will automatically be successful, but it could be interesting.

2) Why is Michael Arden interested?

Because it could offer interesting opportunities to work with star actors (assuming there will be a star) and visual storytelling onstage. It's also a nice paycheck. And his longtime collaborator Hunter Arnold is the other lead producer.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#5Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:37pm

As with many things that are announced somewhat out of the blue, I will be believe it when it happens.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#6Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:42pm

Paula Wagner told me right to my freaking face just the other day that she is not producing anything on Broadway anytime soon, so yeah, this is “interesting” all right. 

JSquared2
#7Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:50pm

Matt Rogers said: "Paula Wagner told me right to my freaking face just the other day that she is not producing anything on Broadway anytime soon, so yeah, this is “interesting” all right."

That's what she always says to waiters who try and pass along their headshots while she's trying to enjoy her lunch.  This project has been in the works for awhile, and deals have been made.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#8Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:54pm

JSquared2 said: "Matt Rogers said: "Paula Wagner told me right to my freaking face just the other day that she is not producing anything on Broadway anytime soon, so yeah, this is “interesting” all right."

That's what she always says to waiters who try and pass along their headshots while she's trying to enjoy her lunch. This project has been in the works for awhile, and deals have been made.

"

I’m not a waiter. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#9Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:56pm

Man the negativity around here. Arden is an award-winning and undeniably talented director, and Roth is an award-winning and undeniably talented writer. Those are two very encouraging ingredients, I'd say. 

OuttaTowner
#10Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:59pm

Could be intriguing in the right hands, but I suspect any producer would want stars to drive this.

Curious who has the stoic earnestness to play Will Kane, and the purity to embody Amy Fowler?

nasty_khakis
#11Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:11pm

I assume this is different from the High Noon adaptation the Axis Theatre Company produced a few years ago? I thought that was interesting but it didn't scream Broadway.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#12Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:34pm

nasty_khakis said: "I assume this is different from the High Noon adaptation the Axis Theatre Company produced a few years ago?"

Yes, it doesn't appear as though they're connected in any way, despite sharing source material.

I have no knowledge of this film, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a Western onstage, and I agree that Michael Arden's involvement piques my interest. That isn't to say that everything he does is good (his Annie at the Hollywood Bowl was pretty meh, and I didn't hear good things about his Merrily). But still, he's demonstrated skill, intelligence, and creativity in both of his Broadway directorial outings, so he's earned enough artistic goodwill in my book to give him the benefit of any doubt.

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#13Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:52pm

This sounds fascinating. At least it is not HIGH NOON: THE MUSICAL!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:57pm

fashionguru_23 said: "As with many things that are announced somewhat out of the blue, I will be believe it when it happens."

Yes, for a project like this I expect they are hoping for a star or two, and this announcement is a classic way of saying to agents "hey, this project is real!" As with other producers using this strategy, all timelines will be star-dependent.

Robbie516
#15Stage Adaptation of "High Noon" to open on Broadway in 2023
Posted: 4/16/23 at 3:01pm

Any updates on this? Is this still happening or is done with?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#16Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/16/23 at 3:44pm

Someone posted not long ago on another thread that it was mentioned on a recent ABC 7 NY Broadway special as coming this fall.

Updated On: 4/16/23 at 03:44 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#17Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/16/23 at 4:13pm

A Western Play on Broadway .......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfrown

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

verywellthensigh
#18Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/16/23 at 8:23pm

Network, Elling, Festen, The Graduate, Misery, A Time To Kill, Dead Poets Society...New York theater and American theater in general doesn't really go for straight play adaptations of products that most people know from film. 

The Other One
#19Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:40pm

Bill Heck would be a great Will Kane.

perfectliar
#20Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/17/23 at 8:58am

verywellthensigh said: "Network, Elling, Festen, The Graduate, Misery, A Time To Kill, Dead Poets Society...New York theater and American theater in general doesn't really go for straight play adaptations of products that most people know from film."

Network got great reviews and recouped, so I'm not sure why that's on this list.The only other success I could think of is The 39 Steps.

JasonC3
#21Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/17/23 at 9:05am

Robbie2 said: "A Western Play on Broadway .......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfrown"

I wonder if it would reach a demographic that currently doesn't go to much theater. Yellowstone certainly has proven to be a TV hit. 12 million watched the opening episode of its new season.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Stage Adaptation of
Posted: 4/17/23 at 12:44pm

Misery also recouped. And of course there's also To Kill A Mockingbird and Harry Potter.

The only thing that matters here is the star. Without one, it would be near impossible to recoup, let alone raise the investment.

Videos