pixeltracker

A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development

A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:40pm

Madeleine L'Engle's Newbery Medal-winning classic novel, A Wrinkle in Time, will be adapted for the musical stage for the first time ever - in a production by an award-winning creative team. The new musical will feature music & lyrics by Obie Award-winning composer Heather Christian (Oratorio for Living Things), a book by Horton Foote Prize winner Lauren Yee(Cambodian Rock Band), and direction by two-time Obie Award winner Lee Sunday Evans(Dance Nation).

Celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year, A Wrinkle in Time was a revolutionary work for multiple reasons, not least of which was its prominence as a breakthrough science fantasy adventure written by a woman - featuring a young teen heroine guided in her quest by three wise, celestial women. A Wrinkle in Time is the story of Meg Murry, who is transported on an adventure through time and space with her younger brother and friend to rescue her father, a gifted scientist, from the evil forces that hold him prisoner on another planet, and threaten our own. The novel has stood the test of time, enchanting readers and viewers in countless formats throughout six decades, with messages of courage, hope, and belonging - that even in the midst of despair, the love we have for each other is enough to save us (and perhaps even the universe).

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/13/22 at 12:45pm

That might be delightful.  Unfortunately, I've seen/read too many play adaptations of this work that have been DREADFUL.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#3A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/14/22 at 11:51am

So, I saw this headline yesterday and completely skimmed over it, thinking “another day, another musical adaptation announcement, sounds about right. What’s for lunch?” 

Completely didn’t realize that this was being created by Heather Christian, Lauren Yee, and Lee Sunday Evans! What a dream team!!! With these artists behind the wheel, I have hope that this will be treated as a true artistic endeavor, not just a soulless commercial product.

My one reservation is: I’ve been burned before, when artists I admire are COMMISSIONED for a project, and aren’t allowed to stretch their creative wings (and/or they don’t put the same heart into it that they would for a project that wasn’t commissioned). But looking at the producers onboard, it doesn’t seem like they’re the cash grab types. They seem to have had minimal commercial success, but great taste. So for me as an audience member, that’s encouraging! 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#4A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/14/22 at 11:59am

dramamama611 said: "That might be delightful. Unfortunately, I've seen/read too many play adaptations of this work that have been DREADFUL."

Not to mention the film.
This is a property that should just be left alone.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#5A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/14/22 at 12:18pm

I saw an adaptation of AWIT in Minneapolis like a decade ago and it was great. The movie was….not.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#6A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/15/22 at 9:33am

Incredibly talented team they've assembled, that's for sure!

lachri5
#7A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/16/22 at 11:41am

I had the same exact reaction with JoeW4. It wasn't until a facebook ad put the creators' face pics in front of the title did I realize what an exciting team this has. 

Btw, for any fan of Heather Christian, she also has a new musical in the NAMT festival named The Female Pope on the coming Thursday and Friday. Hope someone will catch it and share their thoughts here.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#8A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/16/22 at 12:00pm

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve never been to a NAMT show before - are they open to the public? On the website I don’t see a link to buy tix. 

lachri5
#9A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 10/16/22 at 12:28pm

Me neither. There's information in the register tab: https://namt.org/festivals/2022/ Looks like it's for industry people. Free if pre-registered, $30 for walk-up attendees. Non-industry people will need to donate $250+ to see what's essentially a reading. Not worth it.

There are 2 demo songs at the bottom of this page: https://namt.org/musicals/the-female-pope/

jacobsnchz14
#10A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 3/30/23 at 11:53am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-Laurence-Fishburne-Play-A-WRINKLE-IN-TIME-Workshop-More-Set-for-New-York-Stage-and-Film-2023-Summer-Season-20230330

A WRINKLE IN TIME

Adapted from the novel by Madeleine L'Engle

Book by Lauren Yee

Music & Lyrics by Heather Christian

Directed by Lee Sunday Evans

Presentations: July 21, July 22 and July 23

Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger. "Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract." Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?

steve.sometime
#11A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 3/30/23 at 2:24pm

Are the final presentations open to public?

Edit: Never mind. This is in Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY. A bit too far.

Updated On: 3/30/23 at 02:24 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#12A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 3/31/23 at 4:33pm

This book never works well for adaptation.

verywellthensigh
#13A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 3/31/23 at 4:44pm

I have seen the TV movie, the feature film, and a stage adaptation and I just don't think this works off the page.  The characters become flat and uninteresting and the book's weird, curious moments become whimsical and full of "wonder". 

jacobsnchz14
Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#15A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 6/9/23 at 3:12am

I know it's considered a classic, and maybe I was too old for it by the time I read it, but... the original novel itself fell pretty flat for me. But hey, who's to say this musical adaptation won't transform it into something better; one can hope.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#16A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 6/9/23 at 7:14am

I'm sorry KATRINA LENK?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#18A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/13/23 at 4:50pm

Valentina3 said: "I'm sorry KATRINA LENK?"

Here we go again... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

fosterfan2
#19A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/13/23 at 6:40pm

I don't know about you,but I'm tired of seeing Katrina Lenk being crapped on. She's a Tony winner and very talented.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:30pm

fosterfan2 said: "I don't know about you,but I'm tired of seeing Katrina Lenk being crapped on. She's a Tony winner and very talented."

Agreed. Some people need to let go of whatever they’re still holding onto from Company. 

OhHiii
#21A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:17am

Lol the Katrina Lenk hate is still a thing? Ya'll, go touch some grass. Begging you.

fosterfan2
#22A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/14/23 at 2:36pm

OhHiii said: "Lol the Katrina Lenk hate isstilla thing? Ya'll, go touch some grass. Begging you."

^This!!!  You'd think she peed in their cornflakes ffs.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#23A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/23/23 at 9:08pm

Saw this today, and I can’t speak to other productions at NYSAF since this was my first, but it was a true work in progress. There were no costumes, sets, or props and there weren’t always songs. We received a note walking in that told us that each day is a different version of the show as they continue to work on it. There were songs that were only spoken since the actual notes haven’t been written yet.

That said, I really enjoyed what I saw. The first act is too long, but there are some haunting, ethereal songs, a nice mix of humor and emotion, and great parts that the actors can really milk (especially the Ws, if you know the story). The girl playing the lead did a beautiful job, the boy playing Calvin O’Keefe should take over for Justin Cooley when he leaves Kimberly Akimbo and two of the three Ws were a lot of fun! Bernard Tesley was in the audience, and he was taking notes at intermission. The creatives were also all there taking it in. I definitely think that, while there’s clearly a lot of work ahead of them, I like what I saw and I think it could be really beautiful.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/23/23 at 10:19pm

How was Lenk??

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25A WRINKLE IN TIME musical in development
Posted: 7/24/23 at 2:40am

She was one of the two Ws I really enjoyed. She was Mrs. Whatsit. The character is quirky and that’s where Lenk shines. She sang two songs with the two other Ws, but didn’t do a whole lot on her own. It seemed like she’d sing a bit more in the finished piece, but they’re not there yet. She wasn’t carrying the thing, but she has some really fun and really beautiful moments. I liked her in the part. 

Latest Posts