pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 21

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

JasonC3
#500SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:04am

And in a flash I remember why the Ignore Message Users option exists.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#501SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:34am

It is saddening that there are people on here who equate theatre with how fancy the sets are. If you want glitz and glamor and bells and whistles (not counting the factory whistle SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting ) you are at the wrong show. Last I heard the purpose of a set is to serve the story. Having not seen anything but the pics of a bit of the set on here, it seems clever, sophisticated, and in the service of the story. It's not cheap, not that that matters. If you care more about the set than the acting, music, movement, and net effect, I feel sorry for you but we have places you can find that. Keep walking.

And while I am at it, I would say the same thing to those here who have had the opportunity to see the first preview and were more interested in the merch and the bars that the show they bought tickets to see. If it's chaotic at the first preview, I have an idea: lets give you the address of a place you can buy all the merch you want and a bar down the street where you can get drunk so you don't have to pay attention to the show. 

It's one thing to forgive those who are too ignorant to know they shouldn't sing along at the theatre. I expected more from some who post here.

PipingHotPiccolo
#502SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 2:20am

Broadway Flash said: "Look at all of you. One little comment that’s not even negative, and you guys get all worked up. Y’all have no problem hating on bad cinderella, but god forbid someone dislikes the beloved sondheim masterpiece."

Try and follow along here. I have no opinion re Bad Cinderella OR Sweeney Todd because I haven't seen either. Its unclear if you have, because you have offered no opinions on either.

You have instead suggested that the response on these boards to Sweeney was lukewarm, when it was actually over the top ecstatic and certainly largely positive. So, thats just wrong; either you're intentionally pretending that the responses were "lukewarm" or you're disconnected from reality. And the overall reaction to Bad Cinderella has been derisive and negative; quibble with those reviews by all means, but it would be nuts to pretend that that show is being praised by the overall consensus here.

So, ya know, get it together

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#503SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 4:13am

I'm personally glad that the set we did get is actually a good looking one. Plus, it's Sweeney Todd for heaven's sake! All that show needs is really talented actors and Jonathan Tunick's original 26-member orchestra to carry it. I'm just happy that this revival has this strong of a start; in spite of some issues that will probably be fixed/improved as the weeks go on.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#504SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 7:28am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Merch page is live:https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/sweeney-todd"

Thanks - will keep an eye on it as would love a windowcard, though I suspect shipping over to the UK will be prohibitive… 

Very much enjoying the post-show reports - thanks to all who have contributed! Can only dream of a West End transfer with that orchestra…

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#505SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 7:34am

I just wish people would go into shows with an open mind, instead of making ignorant statements like “This looks like a MUNY set” or “It’s giving Les Miz tour.” Like… it’s a set by MacArthur Genius Grant winner Mimi Lien, who’s known for grand simplicity. I’m sure it serves the piece perfectly.

Also, as other’s have noted, the original set by Eugene Lee’s reputation is probably more extravagant than the set itself. Big factory structure, painted backdrops, and one rotating pie shop/barber shop (with an additional appearance from Pirelli’s wagon). Simple, and almost entirely cast-operated.

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 07:34 AM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#506SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:12am

Haven’t seen this SWEENEY yet, but I come from a set design background, and my dictum concerning sets is: a brilliant performance with a terrible set will be a disappointing night of theater for me. (The Ahmanson’s current SECRET GARDEN comes to mind.) But a brilliant set housing a substandard performance? (GRIND is a classic example.) There I’ll still leave the theater feeling I got my money’s worth. 

I fully understand this may not be an opinion everyone shares. 

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 09:12 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#507SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:29am

I don't know where people are getting its a "terrible set". I dont think anyone who has seen the show has said that. I think a lot of us were just surprised the set wasn't more grandiose, not a bad thing just some set expectations too high. The set has some great moments but the show as a whole is the real reason to be going.

elephantseye
#508SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:36am

HogansHero said: “And while I am at it, I would say the same thing to those here who have had the opportunity to see the first preview and were more interested in the merch and the bars that the show they bought tickets to see.”

If this is pointed at me, you’ll be delighted to see I also commented on Annaleigh Ashford’s performance as well as answered a question about seating. Perhaps consider that those discussing things like merch felt that others had already more eloquently addressed other specifics of the production and didn’t feel they had anything more to add in that arena.

Of course if anyone would like another review they need only ask.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#509SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:40am

HogansHero said: "It is saddening that there are people on here who equate theatre with how fancy the sets are. If you want glitz and glamor and bells and whistles (not counting the factory whistle SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting ) you are at the wrong show. Last I heard the purpose of a set is to serve the story. Having not seen anything but the pics of a bit of the set on here, it seems clever, sophisticated, and in the service of the story. It's not cheap, not that that matters. If you care more about the set than the acting, music, movement, and net effect, I feel sorry for you but we have places you can find that. Keep walking.

And while I am at it, I would say the same thing to those here who have had the opportunity to see the first preview and were more interested in the merch and the bars that the show they bought tickets to see. If it's chaotic at the first preview, I have an idea: lets give you the address of a place you can buy all the merch you want and a bar down the street where you can get drunk so you don't have to pay attention to the show.

It's one thing to forgive those who are too ignorant to know they shouldn't sing along at the theatre. I expected more from some who post here.
"

I don't know who you think you are with this ridiculous and condescending crap. For the prices they are charging for this thing, it is a reasonable expectation that there might be a semblance of a set. A set is an integral part of most shows. They happen to give a Tony Award away each year for one of them. 

As for the merch, if they didn't want people to buy the merch, they would not sell the merch. 

And who exactly is talking about getting drunk at the bar??? That would be a pretty cool trick to be able to get drunk at a Broadway bar unless your name is Rockefeller. 

Good lord. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#510SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:43am

I was actually very appreciative of the merch and bathroom line reports. I am now going to be getting to the theater about 5 or 10 minutes before curtain due to a meeting. I am hoping those lines will be down close to curtain and I can grab my magnet and not have to worry about the lines at intermission or after.

As for getting drunk at a theater bar. It happens, a lot. I have seen it happen.

Just give the world Love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#511SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:18am

Matt Rogers said: “For the prices they are charging for this thing, it is a reasonable expectation that there might be a semblance of a set.”

But nobody has said there isn’t a set. Certain scenes are sparse, but there’s absolutely a full set design, and some creative moments. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#512SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:22am

Matt Rogers said: "I don't know who you think you are with this ridiculous and condescending crap. For the prices they are charging for this thing, it is a reasonable expectation that there might be a semblance of a set. A set is an integral part of most shows. They happen to give a Tony Award away each year for one of them."

Except you’re not paying for the set. You’re paying for the experience of going to see a show, and you’re literally paying into the weekly bank account for the show that includes paying salaries, rent, and returns on producer investments. Personally enjoying extravagant, detailed sets is one thing; but let’s not pretend “more” equals “better”.

Case in point, Mimi Lien took home the award for Best Scenic Design just a few short years ago for her design on Great Comet. It was sumptuous and grand, but deceptively simple: draped curtains, picture frames, chandeliers, and staircases. That’s it. No big set pieces, no reveals, no “wow” other than the experience of seeing it as you walked in. And it served the show beautifully.

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 11:22 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#513SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:40am

There are people on this board who have been going to the theatre since the cold war and still don't understand the purpose of scenic design

SoCalDirector
#514SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:43am

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Haven’t seen this SWEENEY yet, but I come from a set design background, and my dictum concerning sets is: a brilliant performance with a terrible set will be a disappointing night of theater for me. (The Ahmanson’s current SECRET GARDEN comes to mind.) But a brilliant set housing a substandard performance? (GRIND is a classic example.) There I’ll still leave the theater feeling I got my money’s worth.

I fully understand this may not be an opinion everyone shares.
"

Obviously not.  What a ludicrous take on theatre.

Miles Robert Mills

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#515SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:02pm

SoCalDirector said: "Obviously not. What a ludicrous take on theatre."

What a ludicrous take on opinions. smiley

The poster was just expressing a personal preference about what's important in a production, and in a very even-handed way. I'm pretty sure it's a minority opinion, and I certainly disagree with it, but it's a completely legitimate one.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#516SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:07pm

I think it's fair to say that each member of this board has certain aspects of going to the theatre that are more important to them than some other aspects. It's personal opinions and preferences.

For instance, while some may love a big and lush set and not care about the number of musicians in the pit, others may care more about having a bit and lush orchestra than the scenery. I don't think one opinion or preference is necessarily more valid than the other. 

Just my take.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JasonC3
#517SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:12pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I think it's fair to say that each member of this board has certain aspects of going to the theatre that are more important to them than some other aspects. It's personal opinions and preferences.

For instance, while some may love a big and lush set and not care about the number of musicians in the pit, others may care more about having a bit and lush orchestra than the scenery. I don't think one opinion or preference is necessarily more valid than the other.

Just my take.
"

Bingo!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#518SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:59pm

I think the bigger issue are posters on here declaring the scenic design is a failure, when they haven’t even see the show. 

I haven’t heard enough from actual audience members to figure out how effective the design is. 

Sets can be simple, and remain incredibly effective. Sets can also be too grand and become a distraction, etc, etc. 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#519SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:14pm

Luminaire2 said: "I think the bigger issue are posters on here declaring the scenic design is a failure, when they haven’t even see the show.

I haven’t heard enough from actual audience members to figure out how effective the design is.

Sets can be simple, and remain incredibly effective. Sets can also be too grand and become a distraction, etc, etc.
"

THIS. The set design works perfectly fine. Once again, people just had expectations of an insane set design akin to something Timbers would direct. This isnt a simple set like the most recent Into the Woods (which wasnt getting as much backlash fir their set as Sweeney for some reason). One particular part of the set is fantastic, but ill put that in spoilers.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The use of trap doors are incredibly done and are so seamless its like magic. 

elephantseye
#520SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:19pm

Luminaire2 said: "I think the bigger issue are posters on here declaring the scenic design is a failure, when they haven’t even see the show.

"

I thought the set was great. Certainly on the more minimalist side in terms of set dressing but I don't know that that was a bad thing. I think if I had a quibble, it'd be that none of the spaces felt lived in. You spend so much time in the pie shop/barber shop and there's not really any set dressing or props.

In terms of the stage layout, balcony/walkway, chair, tower, oven, I thought those were fantastic and really creative. There were several moments related to the sets changing that the audience around me gasped or clapped. The set may be minimalist visually, but it's really really clever and well-designed. I'm not as familiar with Sweeney but I was never unsure about what time or place we were in in any given scene.

I heartily agree with Alex's spoiler tag. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I was in the orchestra and Sweeney's entrance/Sweeney and Lovett's final exit were very surprising as you can't really see them coming. The final moment was stellar and just as appealing as the final moment of Act I; a bit jarring, a bit unexpected, very exciting.

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 01:19 PM

Boq101
#521SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 2:00pm

So... any understudies listed? 

elephantseye
#522SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 2:05pm

Boq101 said: "So... any understudies listed?"

Standby for Sweeney is Nicholas Christopher, standby for Lovett and Beggar Woman is Jeanna de Waal.

U/s Sweeney is Paul-Jordan Jansen, Lovett is Delaney Westfall, Anthony/Tobias are Nathan Salstone and Felix Torres-Ponce, Beggar Woman is Mia Pinero, Johanna are Mia Pinero and Delaney Westfall, Judge Turpin are Paul-Jordan Jansen and Stephen Tewksbury, Beadle are Jonathan Christopher and Raymond J. Lee, Pirelli are Raymond J. Lee and Daniel Torres

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 02:05 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#523SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 3:05pm

HogansHero said: "It is saddening that there are people on here who equate theatre with how fancy the sets are. If you want glitz and glamor and bells and whistles (not counting the factory whistle SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting ) you are at the wrong show. Last I heard the purpose of a set is to serve the story. Having not seen anything but the pics of a bit of the set on here, it seems clever, sophisticated, and in the service of the story. It's not cheap, not that that matters. If you care more about the set than the acting, music, movement, and net effect, I feel sorry for you but we have places you can find that. Keep walking.

"

What a complete and utter asinine and condescending thing to say. Everything you've ever said has been obliterated by this singularly stupid post.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#524SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/28/23 at 3:06pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "I just wish people would go into shows with an open mind, instead of making ignorant statements like “This looks like a MUNY set” or “It’s giving Les Miz tour.” Like… it’s a set by MacArthur Genius Grant winner Mimi Lien, who’s known for grand simplicity. I’m sure it serves the piece perfectly.

Also, as other’s have noted, the original set by Eugene Lee’s reputation is probably more extravagant than the set itself. Big factory structure, painted backdrops, and one rotating pie shop/barber shop (with an additional appearance from Pirelli’s wagon). Simple, and almost entirely cast-operated.
"

Everyone's capable of making a mistake here or there.