pixeltracker

NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 5

NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - Reviews Thread

Dolly80
#100Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 6:07pm

Wow. Yeah Colton is so bland. That’s a worry.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#101Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 6:47pm

Robyn Hurder made a quaint post on her Instagram page.  She's doing "A Beautiful Noise" at the Broadhurst.  Across the street at the St. James, her husband Clyde Alves will be involved with "New York, New York".  What a happy coincidence!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#102Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 10:20pm

David10086 said: "Colton Ryan is just not doing it for me in the lead. He has no sex appeal, no sizzle as a lead in this. Clyde Alves, on the other hand, would be great (IMO). And Janet Dacal would make a lovely Francine opposite him."

100%!!! Clyde - sexier and Janet - sassier are far more interesting performers... both of them from the clips just seem so so eh nothing special. Clyde and Janet have better voices as well. Colton is soooooooooo boring in everything that I've seen so far associated with this musical. Uzele doesn't impress either....Big questions here is: Why them? Here that Stro?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/1/23 at 10:20 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#103Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 10:22pm

JSquared2 said: "Hopefully Jim Borstelmann will reprise his "Hot Dog Guy" role from BULLETS OVER BROADWAY!"

HAHA when isn't he in a Stro show? What happened to her girl Karen Ziemba?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#104Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 2:09am

I was watching the first episode of Poker Face on Peacock which was cute by the way,  and Colton Ryan was quite good in it. I had no idea he was also a musical theatre talent. A formidable actor who sings very well and is an interesting actor to watch. I think he will have a very solid film and television career. He, like Johnathan Groff,  had some good teachers along the way.

wickedwitch2
#105Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 8:31am

Add me to the list that thinks Colton comes off as a charisma void in the trailer.  It's really bad.  I only hope it's less noticeable on stage.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#106Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 8:45am

wickedwitch2 said: "Add me to the list that thinks Colton comes off as a charisma void in the trailer. It's really bad. I only hope it's less noticeable on stage."

His voice has shades of Kermit the Frog and Billy Crystal, possibly because of the artificial 1940s “spin” he’s trying to put on it.

He also reads so young (not a criticism, I don’t know how old these folks are supposed to be).

inception Profile Photo
inception
#107Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 9:42am

If they are keeping the plot circa WWII, & if he's playing a character like DeNiro in the film, he's should be young-ish as he's a returning GI at the start of the film.

Ke3
#108Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 9:56am

La La Land is essentially a remake of NY, NY so the comparison is apt. I've always wanted to know Scorsese's opinion on it. It rips so many elements of his story but got 10x the acclaim of New York, New York.

DrewJoseph
#109Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 6:54pm

Doesnt seem to be selling that well yet? Anyone know if the first row of the balcony is worth it? Or is the back of mezzanine a better view?

shocktheatre
#110Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:39pm

Mr. Ryan has considerable sex appeal and he unquestionably sings beautifully.

A bit early for bashing, isn't it?

Updated On: 2/2/23 at 11:39 PM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#111Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:47pm

shocktheatre said: "Mr. Ryan has considerable sex appeal and he unquestionably sings beautifully.

"

I haven’t read any bashing. I’ve read opinions of his performance based on the trailer released, which is supposed to entice theater goers into buying tickets. 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#112Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 12:28am

David10086 said: "shocktheatre said: "Mr. Ryan has considerable sex appeal and he unquestionably sings beautifully.

"

I haven’t read any bashing. I’ve read opinions of his performance based on the trailer released, which is supposed to entice theater goers into buying tickets.
"

Personally, I feel when someone says "Colton Ryan is just not doing it for me in the lead. He has no sex appeal, no sizzle as a lead in this." we're in bashing territory -- or at least bashing-adjecent. That take on Colton Ryan also seems to be contradictory that it's just based on the video, too -- that's a helluva proclaimation to base on 30ish seconds of a trailer, for a show no one here truly knows anything of substance about. Not to mention, sex appeal and sizzle are subjective.

I've been following this thread for a while and think this brand new, never-seen-before, world premiere musical isn't getting a fair shake. Condemning a brand spanking new show based on "one* short trailer, a decades old divisive movie-cum-source material, plus some very personal opinions ...I don't know. Not nearly enough evidence to relegate this (as of yet unseen!) show to the trash bin of flops, that it's DOA. To extrapolate out the quality of the show based on, at best, quite subjective opinions isn't the most honest approach. Truth is, it's all conjecture how this piece will turn out -- I wish people would remember that. You know, book/cover/judging, and all that.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#113Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 3:36am

I also think sex appeal is a very outdated concept. 

bk
#114Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 4:24am

TheatreMonkey said: "David10086 said: "shocktheatre said: "Mr. Ryan has considerable sex appeal and he unquestionably sings beautifully.

"

"

Personally, I feel when someone says "Colton Ryan is just not doing it for me in the lead. He has no sex appeal, no sizzle as a lead in this." we're in bashing territory -- or at least bashing-adjecent. That take on Colton Ryan also seems to be contradictory that it's just based on the video, too -- that's a helluva proclaimation to base on 30ish seconds of a trailer, for a show no one here truly knows anything of substance about. Not to mention, sex appeal and sizzle are subjective.

I've been following this thread for a while and think this brand new, never-seen-before, world premiere musical isn't getting a fair shake. Condemning a brand spanking new show based on "one* short trailer, a decades old divisive movie-cum-source material, plus some very personal opinions ...I don't know. Not nearly enough evidence to relegate this (as of yet unseen!) show to the trash bin of flops, that it's DOA. To extrapolate out the quality of the show based on, at best, quite subjective opinions isn't the most honest approach. Truth is, it's all conjecture how this piece will turn out -- I wish people would remember that. You know, book/cover/judging, and all that.
"

Then perhaps the answer is to stop making faux movie trailers for B'way shows. Just a thought. Sell what you actually have when you actually have it. I think all these "dropped" trailers are not helping shows, frankly, especially the ones that are the antithesis of, you know, theater.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#115Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 5:07am

I was impressed with how much money they spent on that trailer. It’s been a long time since I have seen a 90 second Broadway ad during a Jeopardy commercial break.  Remember the lamppost ad we were subjected to last year?  I was happy to get more of a vibe for the show and finally the VAMP which I still think should have been more pronounced.  I am a little closer to considering how to part with my sheckles.

JasonC3
#116Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 6:22am

First come the opinions.

Then come the opinions about the opinions.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Updated On: 2/3/23 at 06:22 AM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#117Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 9:01am

JasonC3 said: "First come the opinions.

Then come the opinions about the opinions.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.
"

That's why our hair is so big...it's full of secrets

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#118Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 9:10am

RippedMan said: "I also think sex appeal is a very outdated concept."

Uh you must have missed everyone's White Lotus obsession. Sex still sells.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#119Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 9:15am

I'm confused about how much participation Miranda has in this show. In the interview just posted, it sounds like he wrote two new songs and adjusted lyrics to others. An interview with Stroman, i think, made it sound like he had cowritten much of the score. Will this have his fingerprints or no? Why are they being so cagey?

Jesus saves. I spend.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#120Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 9:54am

KJisgroovy said: "Why are they being so cagey?"

Because they want to sell tickets.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#121Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 10:13am

How does being vague help sell tickets? 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#122Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 2:05pm

shocktheatre said: "Mr. Ryan has considerable sex appeal and he unquestionably sings beautifully.

"

Beautifully? I would not call his singing voice beautiful at all!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#123Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 2:15pm

KJisgroovy said: "Why are they being so cagey?"

It's quite weird, but I also want to give them benefit of the doubt because this is a new musical and as we know with new musicals, things are constantly in flux.

Only a guess: There are a few entirely new songs (with music by Kander and lyrics by LMM). Then there are some K&E trunk songs, cut songs, songs from flops, etc. for which Miranda specified the lyrics to fit this show's narrative. Then there are some songs with music & lyrics exclusively by Kander & Ebb.

My assumption is also that LMM does not want to be trotted out/billed as a key creative force & they're trying to strike a balance in promotion when he's the biggest name involved and could have a real impact on box office.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#124Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/3/23 at 2:26pm

It doesn’t appear this is selling well so LMM should WANT to be trotted out and help sell tickets.