#200Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:41pm

Any idea about rush or lotto? 

Meyerschultz Profile Photo
Meyerschultz
#201Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:21pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Anyone going to dress rehearsal tonight?"

There was no invited dress last night. Sounds like it's a big show so maybe they wanted to maximize tech time?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#202Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:39pm

Meyerschultz said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Anyone going to dress rehearsal tonight?"

There was no invited dress last night. Sounds like it's a big show so maybe they wanted to maximize tech time?
"

With zero talk and unsold overpriced seats, they should've had an invited dress to maximize buzz. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

OhHiii
#203Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:45pm

everythingtaboo said: "With zero talk and unsold overpriced seats, they should've had an invited dress to maximize buzz."

Invited dress rehearsals do zero for buzz lol. It's literally industry people and friends of cast and crew at those.

andrewsmash
#204Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 2:41pm

Seeing this tonight! Will report back. :) I'm excited!

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#205Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:01pm

Still curious as to what kind of approach they're taking to the material, given that the original was less a "love letter to New York City" and more like a fevered ransom note sent by an obsessive stalker.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#206Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:01pm

A part of me feels this will be the biggest flop on Broadway in the modern era, or it is a massive hit in the making and will upset Kimberly and win Best Musical. The floor and ceiling are both exceedingly high and low! 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#207Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:08pm

Count me as one of the incredibly excited to see what this one is like. It really seems like it could go either way... and doubtful it'll be middle of the road.

Jesus saves. I spend.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#208Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:39pm

KJisgroovy said: "Count me as one of the incredibly excited to see what this one is like. It really seems like it could go either way... and doubtful it'll be middle of the road."

I disagree and think this will be very middle of the road. Happy to be proven wrong. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#209Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:45pm

I sort of mispoke. I meant that the response won't be middle of the road. If the show is middle of the road (which I agree is possible) it will be quite bad. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#210Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 4:02pm

Friend works on the show and said there’s a men’s tap number on like nyc scaffolding. Not my thing. But sounds fun. But I think Some Like it Hot and this likely hahe the same audience and Some Like It Hot seems to be struggling. 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#211Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 4:07pm

I hope the show is a good, lavish, classic Broadway musical. 

The title (and title song) feel quintessential Broadway, and I think that can and will draw tourists in. 

Looking forward to reports after tonight. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#212Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 4:32pm

Mike Barrett said: "A part of me feels this will be the biggest flop on Broadway in the modern era, or it is a massive hit in the making and will upset Kimberly and win Best Musical. The floor and ceiling are both exceedingly high and low!"

Oh please –– in terms of flops, since the reopening alone we've seen a Best Musical that didn't even run 10 months (STRANGE LOOP), a new musical that couldn't make it 3 weeks post-opening (KPOP), a widely-seen royals musical flop/campfest (DIANA), an attempted comeback from an ex-con that couldn't even pay people what they were owed and limped along because it overperformed at the Tonys (PARADISE SQUARE), and just last night a big expensive musical stinker from a major theatrical figure (BAD CINDERELLA).

Hard to predict performance for any show like this on paper. GROUNDHOG DAY is a bigger title and we know how that went. Only time will tell.

As for the "good title" comment from someone else, I'll say this: It's terrible from the standpoint of search engines, since there are dozens of musicals playing in New York, NY, and their social team probably has to bid high to hit the top of Google. (Prompted by me trying to find the show's website)

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 04:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#213Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:00pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Glad to see the always-funny Jim Borstelmann working again after 9 years away from Broadway."

And very thankful to Stro for hiring him again 9 years later after her Bullets over Broadway flopped at the same theatre!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#214Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:17pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Mike Barrett said: "A part of me feels this will be the biggest flop on Broadway in the modern era, or it is a massive hit in the making and will upset Kimberly and win Best Musical. The floor and ceiling are both exceedingly high and low!"

Oh please –– in terms of flops, since the reopening alone we've seen a Best Musical that didn't even run 10 months (STRANGE LOOP), a new musical that couldn't make it 3 weeks post-opening (KPOP), a widely-seen royals musical flop/campfest (DIANA), an attempted comeback from an ex-con that couldn't even pay people what they were owed and limped along because it overperformed at the Tonys (PARADISE SQUARE), and just last night a big expensive musical stinker from a major theatrical figure (BAD CINDERELLA).

Hard to predict performance for any show like this on paper. GROUNDHOG DAY is a bigger title and we know how that went. Only time will tell.

As for the "good title" comment from someone else, I'll say this: It's terrible from the standpoint of search engines, since there are dozens of musicals playing in New York, NY, and their social team probably has to bid high to hit the top of Google. (Prompted by me trying to find the show's website)
"

Just ran a search “New York New York Musical” and it was the first google hit. 

regardless, it all comes down to marketing, but I feel if done right, this show has all the right stuff to be that thing tourists need to add on to their trip. 

Pending if it’s actually good. 

Playbill_Trash
#215Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:24pm

andrewsmash said: "Seeing this tonight! Will report back. :) I'm excited!"

Can’t wait to hear your report! I have a lot of questions about this show!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#216Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:05pm

There was a ceremony outside the St. James a little while ago featuring the mayor of NYC, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and musicians from the Manhattan School of Music, before Ryan and Uzele unveiled a “Kander & Ebb Way” street sign. 

Oh look, a bibu!

shocktheatre
#217Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:25pm

"stilll curious as to what kind of approach they're taking to the material, given that the original was less a "love letter to New York City" and more like a fevered ransom note sent by an obsessive stalker." 

Fascinating observation, as the film is the main reason I moved to (and still live in) Ney York City.

shocktheatre
#218Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:34pm

i am excited for you. Get back to us ASAP. I'll be up.

shocktheatre
#219Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:52pm

I really can't wait to hear what they do with "Happy Endings", because if they screw that up, they are doomed.

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#220Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:03pm

shocktheatre said: "I really can't wait to hear what they do with "Happy Endings", because if they screw that up, they are doomed."

Just about to post the exact same thing! It had better/should be the biggest number Broadway has ever seen! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#221Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:38pm

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#222Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:41pm

Robbie2 said: "Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway"

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport