pixeltracker

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?- Page 3

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#50Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 10:14am

ddenoff2 said: "all ima say now is...stay tuned !"

I... am intrigued. Goddamnit.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#51Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:09am

The Sutton Foster who does Broadway doesn’t seem like a Mama Rose, but the Sutton Foster who did Younger might: driven, obsessive, sexy, desperate and duplicitous. Forever coated in flop sweat and ambition while perpetually trying to believe she’s the good guy in the story. 

Now that I wrote that out, it makes me think Rachel Brosnahan has Rose energy as Midge Maisel. Does she sing? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#52Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:21am

Sutton was a big let down The Wild Party. She's just not a big belty, brassy kind of singer - at least to me. But I'd love to see Block take on Momma Rose, especially if she can bring that deranged energy. I guess we'll see with Sunset, but I think she's got it in her. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#53Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:15pm

darquegk said: "Now that I wrote that out, it makes me think Rachel Brosnahan has Rose energy as Midge Maisel. Does she sing?"

Funny you bring that up, Greg! I dunno about Brosnahan, but I do know that after Streisand defaulted on ever making her Gypsy movie, Amy Sherman-Palladino (creator of Maisel) took the reins. We haven't heard anything about it since 2019, but we do know she was engaged to direct and adapt it at that point. May explain why all of those Gypsy references are in trailers and later seasons.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Ke3
#54Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:41pm

It doesn't really *have* to mean anything but I feel like Audra adding Rose's Turn into her concert rep means something. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#55Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 4:12pm

Megan Mullally. She has it all.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

slow_the_rain
#56Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 4:31pm

If the hypothetical producers opted for a way younger choice, I’d love to see Jessie Buckley take a crack at it a few years down the line.

In the category of “she can sing but does she have the stamina” I nominate Olivia Colman or Toni Collette. 

I’d also love to see Heather Headley, or even a reined in Kristin Chenoweth.

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#57Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 4:52pm

Throw me in as another vote for Audra

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#58Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 6:12pm

Sheena Easton.  Yes, that's right.  Sheena "Sensational Scottish Pop Star" Easton.

Non sibi sed patriae

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#59Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 7:32pm

In a couple of years, it would be interesting to see a black Mama Rose and that would be the one and only Audra McDonald! heart

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

1stGent
#60Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 8:28pm

LaChanze and Celia Rose Gooding have publicly stated that they’d like to star in a Broadway production together.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#61Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 9:44pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Megan Mullally. She has it all."

It really would be an incredible comeback of sorts. I think the last show she did was Young Frankenstein in 2008 (?) and was supposed to open the latest Anything Goes revival in the West End before Sutton stepped in.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

pmensky
#62Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 10:38pm

I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#63Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 10:50pm

Hugh Jackman will play Rose in the next revival - and he will sell out the show. 

SouthernCakes
#64Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:18pm

1stGent said: "LaChanze and Celia Rose Gooding have publicly stated that they’d like to star in a Broadway production together."

Would totally see this. 

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#65Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:32pm

I would have loved to have seen what Lillias White could do with the role when she was the right age for it. 

Updated On: 1/26/23 at 11:32 PM

NoItAll
#66Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:36pm

pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

This is going to sell Mame?! And that was 8 years ago.

Can anyone hereabouts come up with another name capable of turning a musical into a hit all by herself and could sing “My White Knight” better than Sutton Foster was even able to imagine? No? Then try looking up the latest Broadway grosses for a hint.

pmensky
#67Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 11:50pm

NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

Thisis going to sell Mame?! And that was 8 years ago.

Can anyone hereabouts come up with another name capable of turning a musical into a hit all by herself and could sing “My White Knight” better than Sutton Foster was even able to imagine? No? Then try looking up the latest Broadway grosses for a hint.
"

Please go to bed.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#68Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 12:02am

NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

"

Why are you talking about Mame and trying to make a point about who can sing a song from The Music Man the best in a thread about Gypsy

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#69Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 12:05am

Shoshanna Bean would also be fantastic, but would never get the offer.  Maybe as the alternate?

NoItAll
#70Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 12:23am

veronicamae said: "NoItAll said: "pmensky said: "I don’t believe a producer would bring this show back to Broadway without a name that could go above tittle which would appeal to those who are both hardcore Broadway fans and tourists who are not. The only two people I’ve seen so far in this thread who could do that are Sutton Foster, Megan Mullally and Audra."

"

Why are you talking about Mame and trying to make a point about who can sing a song from The Music Man the best in a thread about Gypsy
"

I’m obviously making a point about the current relative TALENTS of Sutton Foster and she who must not be named. Get it?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#71Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 12:33am

Over the course of her career, there was a window of opportunity that could’ve seen Liza own this role. There are numerous live recordings of her performances of “Some People” as well as a 2002 live recording of “Rose’s Turn” from the “Liza’s Back” recording.

I’m not sure she could’ve carried out a Broadway run…but, man, there would’ve been performances that would’ve blown the roof off of any theatre back in the day.

Musicaldudepeter
#72Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 4:32am

I believe Liza and Bette Midler were asked before Tyna Daly was approached, but both declined.

Jarethan
#73Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 9:28am

"

I love SF, but it was Hugh Jackman who sold the tickets.  Remember the first time he was out and the grosses dropped by over $1.0MM (and would have dropped by more if people had more notice).  SF sells tickets, but not enough to make that production a hit.

I also think that Megan Mullally would NOT sell tickets.  Maybe as a stunt cast Matron Morton for 8 weeks, but not as Mama Rose.  Maybe on tour, but not on Broadway.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#74Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 9:46am

Musicaldudepeter said: "I believe Liza and Bette Midler were asked before Tyna Daly was approached, but both declined."

Arthur Laurents kept Minnelli out of the conversation, so she was never seriously considered.  He claimed that her inherent need to be liked by audiences would not work for Madame Rose.  Arthur allegedly wanted a strong female actor first, and a vocalist second (or third).  

Tyne Daly was also apparently surprised when she was not offered the tv movie version a few years later after playing the role to great success, especially given that CBS was the network of "Cagney & Lacey," a role that won her four Emmys.  There is an interview on YT where she mentions this anecdote.