News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Memphis the most underrated musical ever!

Memphis the most underrated musical ever!

BwayLB
#1Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:34am

Who agrees with me Memphis is the most underrated musical ever? I’ve seen the Fathom Events proshot, then the 2012 national tour and a regional production in Long Beach. The music is epic, the themes are emotionally timely and the dancing is high energy.

teddy1996
#2Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 2:02am

i’m still waiting on the film adaptation 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 3:04am

I hated it and thought American Idiot deserved Best Musical.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 5:52am

One of my least favorite theater experiences, ever. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 7:21am

Oof. It was like a bad Lifetime movie. The book and score were pretty abysmal, in my opinion.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JanMaxwellsBag Profile Photo
JanMaxwellsBag
#6Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 7:46am

Memphis to me was just a whole lot of meh. Not particularly bad, not particularly good. 

If we’re talking DiPietro/Bryan, I’m much more partial to the camp fest train wreck that is Diana (look no further than my signature for my favorite bad lyric), but that’s a subject for another thread. 

I could use a prince to save me from my prince.
Updated On: 1/28/23 at 07:46 AM

BwayLB
#7Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:22am

teddy1996 said: "i’m still waiting on the film adaptation"

I’ve waited since 2011 for it. But I’ve seen more stage to screen adaptations than ever in the last two years. In the Heights, West Side Story, 13, Tick Tick Boom and Matilda.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:31am

The only good thing to come from that show existing is the song “Colored Woman”.

SouthernCakes
#9Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:36am

The lyrics in every song are so obvious and cliche. Awful. 

gorgeously staged but otherwise awful. 

Toxic Avenger is their best work. Stick to camp. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#10Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:49am

To each their own but to me this exercise in mediocrity is certainly not underrated. Aside from matters of taste, how can something that won the Tony be considered underated?

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#11Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:58am

Not a fan. At all. One of my very least favorite musicals. Sorry 

DaveyG
#12Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 11:28am

Memphis is IMHO the most overrated musical ever. The fact that it won Tonys for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book is laughable. What a lame season. 

Updated On: 1/28/23 at 11:28 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 11:52am

I always found the dichotomy between this board vs public on Memphis interesting and something that doesn’t happen often. If I recall posts on here we’re predicting the show would close on opening night. Yet it won best musical, was filmed, had a west end run etc. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jarethan
#14Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:17pm

I enjoyed it when I saw it the day after it opened, driven by a lot of very good reviews.  My son and I happened to be in NYC looking at colleges.  

There was a certain excitement in the theatre because no one was expecting it to get good reviews.  Undoubtedly, that electricity added to the fun.

The think I remember most was the choreography, which I thought was excellent.  The cast was also very good.   Oth of us left the theatre having enjoyed the show.

That said, I never had any interest in seeing it again.  It was fun and forgettable.   I also never purchased the cast recording, which is telling.

The fact that it ran almost three years, although to a lot of discounted seats, says to me that it’s audiences as a whole liked it, but didn’t love it.

SpookyFish13
#15Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 2:39pm

Memphis was my first ever Broadway show, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart.... But it's not good. It also hasn't aged well at all. The songs are forgettable (I'm sorry, even "Colored Women" is dull and somewhat problematic) and the story is so bare-bones. It's basically paints Huey as a hero for simply not being racist..? Common... 

I also have issues with how Felicia is portrayed. She's so meek and spineless and seems to be written into the typical archetype of how racists wanted a "well behaved" women of color to act. (Ugh.) She saves up all her money to record a single on vinyl and then Mama smashes it in front of Felicia and so Felicia... apologizes?? To her??? For... intruding????? It's wild. In my opinion, this scene possibly could have been saved by having Felicia sing "Colored Women" TO Mama, thus thawing her frozen heart and making her realize her racist ways... Instead, she just leaves and sings it outside. And Mama's big (breakthrough) only comes in act 2 after she goes to church and sees... that they really *are* good christians.. and can sing?? I'm sorry, but that's garbage

It's no surprise that this musical came from the same creative team as Diana: The Musical. And Diana is pure camp, thus fun to watch - especially with a glass of wine. Memphis, on the other hand... Is just not fun to watch. Act 2 is a complete mess, start to finish. There's like 4 songs just shoe-horned in at the end that do nothing to advance the narrative, thus making the last 25 minutes SO drawn-out and boring. 

As I said before, this was my first ever Broadway show, so I still sit down and watch the pro-shot at least once per year (for nostalgia reasons) but rarely ever make it past the mid-point in act 2 because every time I watch it, I'm reminded of how bad it was. 

Broadway61004
#16Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 2:47pm

I got a comp ticket for this show and still wanted to ask for a refund. Although Montego Glover was excellent, so at least there was that.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#17Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 2:59pm

DaveyG said: "Memphis is IMHO the most overrated musical ever. The fact that it won Tonys for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book is laughable. What a lame season."

Underrated - epic? LOL. Agree 100% hated it and to think that Joe Dipietro still gets works is so laughable! I would say he's ''overrated''!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/28/23 at 02:59 PM

BwayLB
#18Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 3:08pm

SpookyFish13 said: "Memphis was my first ever Broadway show, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart.... But it's not good. It also hasn't aged well at all. The songs are forgettable (I'm sorry, even "Colored Women" is dull and somewhat problematic) and the story is so bare-bones. It's basically paints Huey as a hero for simply not being racist..? Common...

I also have issues with how Felicia is portrayed. She's so meek and spineless and seems to be written into the typical archetype of how racists wanted a "well behaved" women of color to act. (Ugh.) She saves up all her money to record a single on vinyl and then Mama smashes it in front of Felicia and so Felicia... apologizes?? To her??? For... intruding????? It's wild. In my opinion, this scene possibly could have been saved by having Felicia sing "Colored Women" TO Mama, thus thawing her frozen heart and making her realize her racist ways... Instead, she just leaves and sings it outside. And Mama's big (breakthrough) only comes in act 2 after she goes to church and sees... that they really *are* good christians.. and can sing?? I'm sorry, but that's garbage.

It's no surprise that this musical came from the same creative team as Diana: The Musical. And Diana is pure camp, thus fun to watch - especially with a glass of wine. Memphis, on the other hand... Is just not fun to watch. Act 2 is a complete mess, start to finish. There's like 4 songs just shoe-horned in at the end that do nothing to advance the narrative, thus making the last 25 minutes SO drawn-out and boring.

As I said before, this was my first ever Broadway show, so I still sit down and watch the pro-shot at least once per year (for nostalgia reasons) but rarely ever make it past the mid-point in act 2 because every time I watch it, I'm reminded of how bad it was.
"

If there is one more recent musical that I have second opinions after rewatching bits of Act Two on YouTube, it’s Dear Evan Hansen. So I know how it feels

Fosse76
#19Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 3:14pm

It's like they fed the books and scores to Hairspray, Dreamgirls, and Ragtime into a computer to write a new musical and this is what it came up with. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#20Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 4:22pm

I saw it on tour and had a good time. I think it's an average musical, not worthy of some of the hate it gets but also not "underrated."

Steal Your Rock 'n' Roll is quite the banger though.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#21Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 4:37pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "I saw it on tour and had a good time. I think it's an average musical, not worthy of some of the hate it gets but also not "underrated."

Steal Your Rock 'n' Roll is quite the banger though.
"

I think this is the best assessment. It’s average to above average, but maybe didn’t need tony love. I loved the show when I saw it. Underground, Music Of My Soul, Colored Women, and Steal Your Rock and Roll are all bangers. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#22Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 4:59pm

Agreed that it's underrated. I saw it on my first big theater trip to New York and it was a highlight for me, probably the best show I saw in terms of technical craft. I don't get the hate for it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#23Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 5:19pm

The only song I like is Memphis Lives in Me and after a few weeks Chad couldn’t sing it anymore.

Dollypop
#24Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 5:21pm

My least favorite musicals;

1. In My Life

2. Thou Shalt Not

4  A Doll's Life

5  Molly

6. Home Sweet Homer

7. Kelly

8. Rockabye Hamlet

9  Into The Light

10 Memphis

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Memphis the most underrated musical ever!
Posted: 1/28/23 at 5:25pm

I'll add to my above statement: I really liked Glover....but simply could not bear Chad  Kimball.  I simply wanted him to go away.  (I remember even being quite wary of seeing Come From Away because of his involvement - but liked him very much in that.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos