pixeltracker

AEA May Strike National Tours April 13

AEA May Strike National Tours April 13

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#1AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/3/23 at 9:22pm

Yikes. From the articles on Hollywood Reporter and here on Broadway World, it sounds like April 12 may be the deadline - at least it's the last currently scheduled negotiations day. But, it could happen any day - per the articles.  Actors have been working on an expired contract since February 5.  Our next tour show for which we have tickets is not until August, but yikes for others.

Hollywood Reporter

Broadway World Article

Actors' Equity "Unite the Road" page

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/3/23 at 9:59pm

A poignant message from Stephanie J. Block on the difficulties on touring.  https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqks8oqj9ry/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#3AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:48am

Good for them. They deserve fair contracts. Sometimes this is the only way to stick it to the man and get what you deserve.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#4AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:52am

In line with Stephanie J Block's video, I have a question about tour housing. I was under the impression that a show would offer to put performers up in hotels for the tour stop, and the stipend they gave for housing, etc you could bank if you chose to go to one of the hotels. Is this still the case?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

TheGingerBreadMan
#5AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:00am

fashionguru_23 said: "In line with Stephanie J Block's video, I have a question about tour housing. I was under the impression that a show would offer to put performers up in hotels for the tour stop, and thestipend they gave for housing, etc you could bank if you chose to go to one of the hotels. Is this still the case?"

My understanding is that you can take the provided housing or the stipend, not both. Many actors choose to book something cheaper than the total of their stipend and pocket the rest, often rooming with other actors to save $$$.

Updated On: 4/4/23 at 09:00 AM

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#6AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:28am

Is there any chance this will spread to non-touring companies such as other Equity houses or even Broadway? Equity has always been very loyal and supportive of all its members. 

TheGingerBreadMan
#7AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:31am

Lola Getz2 said: "Is there any chance this will spread to non-touring companies such as other Equity houses or even Broadway? Equity has always been very loyal and supportive of all its members."

There may be words of solidarity and displays of support from non-touring companies and other Equity members, but they won't strike, as this is specifically related to AEA contracts for touring companies. Nothing would be accomplished by anyone else striking.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:37am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Lola Getz2 said: "Is there any chance this will spread to non-touring companies such as other Equity houses or even Broadway? Equity has always been very loyal and supportive of all its members."

There may be words of solidarity and displays of support from non-touring companies and other Equity members, but they won't strike, as this is specifically related to AEA contracts for touring companies. Nothing would be accomplished by anyone else striking.
"

I'm not sure if I agree "nothing would be accomplished". Many actors ON bway also accept tours - so it does affect them.  They are largely the same producers as well.  I would only expect other Equity members to consider striking if it goes on for a lengthy bit.  (Not that I have knowledge of how this would be handled...just thinking aloud, really.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AEA AGMA SM
#9AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 1:36pm

Legally the only ones who could go on strike are those working on the specific contract. Kate Shindle's email to membership yesterday affirmed this, and also affirmed that attending another event at road houses, such as a concert, would also not be considered as harming fellow members should a strike occur. 

Ceej
#10AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 2:40pm

For those of you directly affected/attached to this, what do you feel the likelihood of a strike is at the deadline? Is there a feeling that negotiations are continuing in good faith or at a stand-still? 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#11AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 3:43pm

I'm not super confident that whatever compromise the Broadway League puts forward will satisfy AEA members. These contracts have gotten to a place where its just pitiful. Inflation and cost of living has been far outpacing touring contracts for yeeeears. And the League just let it get to an extreme where instead of increasing pay and amenities with the times, now there is SO much daylight between what is on offer and what AEA actors need to survive. 

Explore some social media posts about this. You'll find many tales of touring actors sleeping on couches or in filthy conditions. Or just not being able to afford the basics in life. Touring used to be the most coveted place in theater for many actors once upon a time, but those times are long gone. They must fix it and fast, or the touring industry will be even more gutted than it already has been.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:07pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Legally the only ones who could go on strike are those working on the specific contract. Kate Shindle's email to membership yesterday affirmed this, and also affirmed that attending another event at road houses, such as a concert, would also not be considered as harming fellow members should a strike occur."

Thank you for those deets.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

fbueller
#13AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:20pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "A poignant message from Stephanie J. Block on the difficulties on touring.https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqks8oqj9ry/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link"

Atta girl, Steph!

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#14AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:24pm

Now is the time for audiences to rally behind the workers who have been bringing Broadway to their backyards.  

UNION STRONG!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#15AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 8:50pm

I absolutely stand by AEA for this! These actors deserve fair contracts! Everything is so expensive right now, and these actors need to be able to afford the basic necessities they need while on the road. While it may be hard that we won't have touring productions running, this is MORE important. I hope the Broadway League comes to its senses and provide the fair pay these actors deserve! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

jakethesnake
#16AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:17pm

fashionguru_23 said: "In line with Stephanie J Block's video, I have a question about tour housing. I was under the impression that a show would offer to put performers up in hotels for the tour stop, and thestipend they gave for housing, etc you could bank if you chose to go to one of the hotels. Is this still the case?"

It depends.   There are multiple types of touring contracts.  Some provide a stipend and will offer up a couple of housing options - the actors pay for the housing with their stipend.  Others provide a hotel room and depending on whether you take the housing, take a solo room, or have a roommate determines how much stipend you get (on top of the free room they provide).  

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#17AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:40pm

They really do need to see this through and have the contract updated / renegotiated. Times have changed. 

If actors on equity contracts are having issues on tour, imagine all the non-equity tours and actors. 

Yeesh. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/4/23 at 9:54pm

Oh non-eq has always sucked. Weeks without a day off. Sleeping on a bus where you sleep below the seats because there are no bunks. Making dinner in a microwave every night. 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#19AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/7/23 at 3:05pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "I'm not super confident that whatever compromise the Broadway League puts forward will satisfy AEA members. These contracts have gotten to a place where its just pitiful. Inflation and cost of living has been far outpacing touring contracts for yeeeears. And the League just let it get to an extreme where instead of increasing pay and amenities with the times, now there is SO much daylight between what is on offer and what AEA actors need to survive.

Explore some social media posts about this. You'll find many tales of touring actors sleeping on couches or in filthy conditions. Or just not being able to afford the basics in life. Touring used to be the most coveted place in theater for many actors once upon a time, but those times are long gone. They must fix it and fast, or the touring industry will be even more gutted than it already has been.
"

That's not correct. The annual increases built into the last contract were greater than inflation up until inflation started to shoot up mid-2021. 

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#20AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/7/23 at 3:49pm

How would the ticket holders for cancelled shows be handled? Does anyone know? Refunds? I am sure it might be different for each location, but was curious as to how the venues would deal with a blow like this. 

Ceej
#21AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/7/23 at 10:06pm

Lola Getz2 said: "How would the ticket holders for cancelled shows be handled? Does anyone know? Refunds? I am sure it might be different for each location, but was curious as to how the venues would deal with a blow like this."

I would presume it will vary by market but like with the Covid delays/cancellations I would bet they will try to get us to keep a credit and hope for a re-scheduled date or that we would apply to a future season. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/8/23 at 2:14am

I’m trying to see Block in Into the Woods in Chicago so… hoping this works 

bear88
#23AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/8/23 at 2:22am

It will be just my luck that I got Into The Woods tickets for its San Francisco tour stop on the first presale day, something I rarely do, and it will get wiped out because management gets cheap on per diem. If canceled, I wouldn’t hold my breath on a return, at least with the current touring cast.

Touring productions are doing fine, at least in San Francisco. But they’ve got to treat the actors right.

phantom8019
#24AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/8/23 at 5:44pm

Stupid question, but the strike would not affect a non-equity tour, such as Jesus Christ Superstar? Correct?

AEA AGMA SM
#25AEA May Strike National Tours April 13
Posted: 4/8/23 at 7:59pm

Yes, non-Equity tours would most likely be unaffected, unless IATSE refuses to cross a picket line at the local venues in solidarity.