pixeltracker

Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?

Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?

Andres_Zayas Profile Photo
Andres_Zayas
#1Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 12:20am

Hi everyone. I'll be going on a trip to NYC in May the week after I graduate from college! I've already booked tickets for Sweeney Todd with 2 friends, and will also be doing a two-show Saturday for Parade and Kimberly Akimbo! I have one slot left for a Friday evening show, and am trying to decide between Some Like It Hot and New York, New York. I wanted to even out the variety of shows I'm seeing with a big classic musical, and those two shows definitely fit the bill. Below I listed a rationale to see either show:

Some Like It Hot: I already love the score and have heard amazing things about J. Harrison Ghee and the choreography. As a classic musical comedy, this would most likely be the lightest show thematically/emotionally out of my current lineup to even everything out, especially with the other shows being darker and/or heavier. At the top of my budget, I could potentially get a 5th-row side orchestra seat.

New York, New York: I also love Kander & Ebb's work and would love to see what seems to be the season's biggest show on a technical scale. I would love to see the choreography and scenic elements live, though I've heard of issues with the book and runtime, and that seating at the St. James Theatre can be hit or miss. I could get a good mid-mezzanine aisle seat for less than a similar mezzanine seat for Some Like It Hot.

Thank you for your help! Would love to hear everyone's input!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 12:36am

Some Like It Hot

BdwyFan
#3Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 12:43am

Some Like It Hot.  For sure. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#4Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 1:00am

&JULIET   Skip both of the other ones.

PipingHotPiccolo
#5Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 1:22am

Its not even close: Some Like It Hot. Which has a plot and an audience laughing along with it. 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#6Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 2:18am

Some like it hot is far superior to NYNY.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#7Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 2:34am

Some Like it Hot by a mile.  J Harrison Ghee gave the second best performance of this season (after the sublime Sara Bareilles’ Tony worthy performance of the Baker’s Wife).  His 11 o’clock number “You Could have Knocked Me Over With A Feather” is worth the price of admission alone.  A true powerhouse performance that was very raw and heartfelt.  

I agree with a previous poster about & Juliet though.  NYNY won’t even be a second choice.  

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 2:34am

NEW YORK, NEW YORK was way more interesting than SOME LIKE IT TEPID. Go to to NY, don't even think about it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#9Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 8:00am

SLIH was 2.5 hours of fun and smiles. NYNY was… not that. Highly reccomend the former. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#10Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 8:48am

You are already seeing the three new musicals most people would recommend, I'd try to see one of the hot plays - either Goodnight Oscar or Prima Facie

BETTY22
#11Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 9:26am

That's a tough choice. Both are great. 

I guess it's about personal taste - not quality. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#12Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:00am

Some Like It Hot - no contest.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#13Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:23am

Some Like it Hot. By a mile.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#14Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:25am

If these are your only options, SOME LIKE IT HOT by a country mile.

Honestly, I’d see BAD CINDERELLA again before going back to NY, NY. 

I would also STRONGLY recommend DANCIN’

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EAPEAPMO
#15Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:37am

Given your criteria, I'd say go for NYNY. The set and technical elements in NYNY I think are unmatched by any new show on Broadway and the price is very reasonable if you rush (I think front row can be like $30 from what I've heard?). If you can't rush, then TKTS also has a lot of good orchestra seats as well for 50% off on most days. The runtime is now listed at 2:35 down from 3:00 when it first launched, so I haven't seen since the first preview but it seems like a lot has been cut. SLIH is an excellent show as well and would be better for plot and storyline, it handles gender fluidity very well and JHG + Borle are an excellent duo! I found those songs to blend together a bit though and saw more variety/memorable one-offs/hits in NYNY.

Ultimately, since your criteria for SLIH is "light," and your criteria for NYNY is "biggest show on a technical scale," I'd say you can get "light" with NYNY with a feel-good ending but you won't get the same "biggest show" feeling with SLIH, so I'd say NYNY. Can't go wrong with either... I thoroughly enjoyed both and think they're the two best new shows this year. 

Updated On: 4/16/23 at 10:37 AM

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#16Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 11:21am

SHUCKED 

NotASoundtrack
#17Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 2:28pm

Not sure why the board suddenly has so much hate for NYNY, but I saw both SLIH and NYNY in the same day and preferred NYNY. I will say that I don’t think the 2 are comparable in the first place, as NYNY has more of a golden age MGM feel with less depth vs. SLIH which is more updated with a solid, linear storyline. Both are enjoyable and there’s not “wrong” choice imo, but NYNY is more unique.

Candice Malkin
#18Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 2:41pm

I saw them both. I was so looking forward to SLIH and was soooo disappointed. I loved NYNY. I dont understand all the sudden hate. It was feel good theatre with amazing choreography. And its interesting that they were both queens in 6. I thought the actress in SLIH was miscast and the one in NY was excellent. I did also love Shucked - a real pleasant surprise!!!!

dan94
#19Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 3:07pm

Neither show is perfect but I loved NYNY. Stro and Nicholaw aren't in the same universe when it comes to creating choreography and telling story through dance. There was an excitement around NYNY that I did not feel at SLIH.

As for all the hate NYNY is getting, I think it's clear the Shuberts sent out their lackeys out because they feel threatened. I can imagine not loving NYNY, but I can't imagine thinking anything worse than "that was fine if forgettable". People are talking about NYNY like it's the second coming of In My Life. The hatred is so outsized it beggars belief.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#20Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 3:29pm

dan94 said: "As for all the hate NYNY is getting, I think it's clear the Shuberts sent out their lackeys out because they feel threatened. I can imagine not loving NYNY, but I can't imagine thinking anything worse than "that was fine if forgettable". People are talking about NYNY like it's the second coming of In My Life. The hatred is so outsized it beggars belief."

Wow. This never occurred to me. I had heard this was a Rudin trick but did not know it was more widely done. How sad.

NotASoundtrack
#21Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 3:36pm

pethian said: "dan94 said: "As for all the hate NYNY is getting, I think it's clear the Shuberts sent out their lackeys out because they feel threatened. I can imagine not loving NYNY, but I can't imagine thinking anything worse than "that was fine if forgettable". People are talking about NYNY like it's the second coming of In My Life. The hatred is so outsized it beggars belief."

Wow. This never occurred to me. I had heard this was a Rudin trick but did not know it was more widely done. How sad.

"

I’d never heard of this tactic until recently, but as someone who adored NYNY, and noticed the sudden influx of hate for the show (and I mean HATE), I agree it seems something is up. I never post but felt compelled to share my positive thoughts on the show. It’d be a shame for whoever those bad reviewers are to dissuade people from seeing the show.

dan94
#22Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 4:15pm

The thing is, a lot of the criticisms leveled at the show by the "hate it" group are valid. But the overall tenor of the responses is way outsized. You would have to think it's the worst thing that's played Broadway ever the way they talk. And that is why it comes off as disingenuous.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#23Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 4:40pm

dan94 said: "As for all the hate NYNY is getting, I think it's clear the Shuberts sent out their lackeys out because they feel threatened. I can imagine not loving NYNY, but I can't imagine thinking anything worse than "that was fine if forgettable". People are talking about NYNY like it's the second coming of In My Life. The hatred is so outsized it beggars belief."

Bruh, I wish I was a paid Shubert lackey set out to criticize the show - at least I’d have my money back.

But alas, I and many others are average theatre goers who had expectations and got what they felt was an overhyped, underwhelming Turkey.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

mshalo18
#24Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 5:29pm

I haven't seen either show- but that GMA performance was a complete turnoff for NYNY. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#25Some Like It Hot or New York, New York?
Posted: 4/16/23 at 7:05pm

pethian said: "dan94 said: "As for all the hate NYNY is getting, I think it's clear the Shuberts sent out their lackeys out because they feel threatened. I can imagine not loving NYNY, but I can't imagine thinking anything worse than "that was fine if forgettable". People are talking about NYNY like it's the second coming of In My Life. The hatred is so outsized it beggars belief."

"

While I'm sure this is very real, the criticism of this show is coming from regular Board users, who are quite obviously not paid shills. Try again.