2024 Tony Awards

starlightlocamotion
#3002024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 7:18pm

It’s funny because if you had asked me a month ago, I would’ve predicted Illinoise. But the more I talk to people, the more love I am hearing for SUFFS. I am starting to grow more fond of it after listening to the cast album. I was somewhat lukewarm to the show when I first saw it. But it does have a very strong original score. 

Phillyguy
#3012024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:09pm

I don’t think we are all seeing the same HK show. I’ve seen all the musicals this year, and I think HK is the best (although I do think Illinoise is very unique and revelatory, and would be very happy if it wins). 

I actually quite like the book. Most books try to cover too much superficially but this zooms in on the mother/daughter relationship in a heartwarming, believable way. 

I saw Moon’s understudy so I can’t comment on her performance specifically. But I thought she’s excellent and so is the entire cast. I’m not at all surprised by the acting nominations. 

Updated On: 6/11/24 at 09:09 PM

getatme
#3022024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:41pm

I'm still holding out hope for quite literally any show other than Hell's Kitchen to win Best Musical this year. The odds seem increasingly more unlikely as time goes on, but I'm just not ready to throw in the towel yet.

For my money, HK was by far the worst musical I saw this season. A stale, bland, completely ineffective book in search of a central plot or theme to follow, vocal performances that were certainly impressive, and actors having to work overtime to make terrible dialogue and unclear motivations seem reasonable (to middling success). The physical production is unappealing, the whole evening was a waste for me aside from the vocal performances which were, indeed, very good.

Maleah Joi Moon is the only actor in that show I wouldn't mind seeing win, a wholly unlikable character but a charismatic performer. I don't entirely understand the heaps of praise for Kecia Lewis, she's doing the most she can with what's on the page. But nothing about the performance/role sticks out to me.

We'll see I guess!

starlightlocamotion
#3032024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 12:45am

Final prediction is SUFFS. It feels like the community is really rallying behind Shaina Taub & all the work she has put into the show. Not to mention starring in it as well. There could be a surprise … but I’m sticking with SUFFS.

Dreamboy3
#3042024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 8:29am

starlightlocamotion said: "Final prediction is SUFFS. It feels like the community is really rallying behind Shaina Taub & all the work she has put into the show. Not to mention starring in it as well. There could be a surprise … but I’m sticking with SUFFS."

Yes,  very positive article in the NYT today about the changes. I’d link it if I knew how. That narrative is definitely out there. 

MezzA101
#3052024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 8:58am

Dreamboy3 said: "starlightlocamotion said: "Final prediction is SUFFS. It feels like the community is really rallying behind Shaina Taub & all the work she has put into the show. Not to mention starring in it as well. There could be a surprise … but I’m sticking with SUFFS."

Yes, very positive article in the NYT today about the changes. I’d link it if I knew how. That narrative is definitely out there.
"

 

On Broadway, ‘Suffs’ Has a New Tune (and 6 Tony Nominations) 


https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/11/theater/suffs-broadway-tony-awards.html?unlocked_article_code=1.y00.6Qzg.MTyFGb3m8o-G

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#3062024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 9:41am

I'm currently watching Live with Kelly & Mark. Idina Menzel is the guest right now, and she just confirmed that she will be presenting on the telecast.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#3072024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:23am

getatme said: "Maleah Joi Moon is the only actor in that show I wouldn't mind seeing win, a wholly unlikable character but a charismatic performer. I don't entirely understand the heaps of praise for Kecia Lewis, she's doing the most she can with what's on the page. But nothing about the performance/role sticks out to me."

Totally agree with this on both counts. Moon makes you at least not HATE a character that is easily hateable on the page and in the hands of another actor. Lewis is grabs your attention and has a killer voice, but I just despised everything about Miss Liza Jane's role in the show and it made me so much less enamored with her than others seem to be. 

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#3082024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:25am

getatme said: "I'm still holding out hope for quite literally any show other than Hell's Kitchen to win Best Musical this year. The odds seem increasingly more unlikely as time goes on, but I'm just not ready to throw in the towel yet.

For my money, HK was by far the worst musical I saw this season. A stale, bland, completely ineffective book in search of a central plot or theme to follow, vocal performances that were certainly impressive, and actors having to work overtime to make terrible dialogue and unclear motivations seem reasonable (to middling success). The physical production is unappealing, the whole evening was a waste for me aside from the vocal performances which were, indeed, very good.

Maleah Joi Moon is the only actor in that show I wouldn't mind seeing win, a wholly unlikable character but a charismatic performer. I don't entirely understand the heaps of praise for Kecia Lewis, she's doing the most she can with what's on the page. But nothing about the performance/role sticks out to me.

We'll see I guess!
"

 

I am with you. I want absolutely any of the 3 aside from Water for Elephants or Hell's Kitchen. I know which one it won't be, so at least there's that.

 

Updated On: 6/12/24 at 11:25 AM

MezzA101
#3092024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/24 at 5:55pm

Tonys Producers on 'Stereophonic,' New Changes to June 16 Show

 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/tonys-producers-show-stereophonic-1235919959/

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#3102024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:37pm

Presenters have finally been announced. Among them are…

Utkarsh Ambudkar
Nate Burleson
Cynthia Erivo
Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Josh Gad
Renée Elise Goldsberry
Sean Hayes
Taraji P. Henson
Julianne Hough
Jennifer Hudson
Angelina Jolie
Nick Jonas
Idina Menzel
Ashley Park
Jim Parsons
Wendell Pierce
Ben Platt
Anthony Ramos
Andrew Rannells
Solomon Thomas
Taylor Tomlinson
Pete Townshend
Tamara Tunie
Adrienne Warren
Patrick Wilson
Jeffrey Wright

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Find-Out-Who-Will-Present-at-the-2024-Tony-Awards-20240612

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3112024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:44pm

Gotta reach that sports crossover audience! (Solomon Thomas & Nate Burleson)

Hope Taylor Tomlinson kills it as an audition to be a future Tony host, since she's also within the CBS family.

If Jeffrey Wright isn't presenting George Wolfe's lifetime achievement award, what are we even doing here? Perhaps Patrick Wilson or Andrew Rannells will present Jack O'Brien's. Someone like Nathan Lane would make more sense for O'Brien but you can't always get your first choices.

Updated On: 6/12/24 at 12:44 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3122024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/24 at 1:28pm

They couldn’t bring back Rodgers this year because he didn’t come with a Discount Double Check. :)


Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#3132024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:12pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "They couldn’t bring back Rodgers this year because he didn’t come with a Discount Double Check. :)"

He's probably at another darkness retreat.

MezzA101
#3142024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/13/24 at 8:14pm

Tony Award host Ariana DeBose says viewers should expect a 'full Broadway experience' | AP News

 

https://apnews.com/article/ariana-debose-tony-awards-host-2024-c2472b731b01104dcb1861fe19a52a32

PegasusOasis
#3152024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:40pm

2 “A-list performers” are taping a Tonys number tomorrow, any ideas who? https://shadowcasting.com/calendar/details.aspx?showID=693 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 10:40 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#3162024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 2:31am

PegasusOasis said: "2 “A-list performers” are tapinga Tonys number tomorrow, any ideas who? https://shadowcasting.com/calendar/details.aspx?showID=693"

Could this be Gutenberg-related? I have heard rumblings of a tour with two big names involved....

MezzA101
#3172024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 7:03am

Tony Predictions: Expect Wins for ‘Merrily We Roll Along’ and ‘Stereophonic’

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/14/theater/tony-awards-predictions-merrily-stereophonic.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zk0.zyIV.Dr8gEWdRYaof

bwayobsessed
#3182024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 7:12am

Surprised they don’t few Illinoise as a contender. Honestly shocked anyone could watch HK and Illinoise and think HK is the winner but I guess everyone can have their own opinions…

MezzA101
#3192024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:26am

2024 Tony Awards preview: How to watch, predictions and more

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/06/14/tony-awards-preview-2024-how-to-watch-predictions/

 

 

hearthemsing22
#3202024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:32am

Something I always wonder that can also be considered very silly is if the presenters ever somehow imply winners. That's silly, isn't it? 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#3212024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:53am

The presenters are announced before the voting is finished so I wouldn’t read into it. Though there might be some alignment with the sure bets. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#3222024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:02am

Outsiders seems to be the show that has developed the biggest reaction among young audiences this season.   I read the line for people hoping for rush seats was about 100 people the other day - even though obviously there weren't going to be that many rush seats.  Will that effect voters?  Especially ones who may have been in theatre alongside school groups etc of kids being very emotional?  How could you not be effected & maybe swept along?


...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3232024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:06am

All of a sudden The Outsiders has a decent shot to win best musical per Paulson’s voter survey. Interesting!


Oh look, a bibu!

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#3242024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:19am

If The Outsiders takes Best Musical, what else does it win? I think it might have Lighting Design over Illinoise. But nothing else. It would have to make a surprise win in either Book or Score I think. Or maybe take Choreography away from Illinoise too for the The Rumble...but that seems less likely.


Videos