Queen Latifah

Dionne Warwick

KC honorees

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:37pm

Can't wait for the broadcast.

Bummed, I was supposed to see Renee Fleming tonight at Carnegie Hall but she withdrew from the program. 

Just give the world Love.

JSquared2
#3Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:52pm

All are deserving -- but what's the deal with the continued snubbing of Liza? Has she refused to appear in public to accept?

Others who are long overdue include:

Bob Newhart (what are they waiting for??)

Jane Fonda (!!!)

Glenn Close

Alan Alda

Jessica Lange

Diane Keaton

Whoopi Goldberg

Bernadette Peters

Sophia Loren (again -- what are they waiting for??)

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#4Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:55pm

We really gonna litigate this every year huh 

JSquared2
#5Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:02pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "We really gonna litigate this every year huh"

No one's forcing you to read it, darlin'.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#6Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:02pm

Liza is brought up every year. And every year, we speculate that she may have declined the honor in the past. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#7Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:12pm

Latifah takes the 'I have a show on CBS, and we have to promote it" spot.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#8Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:32pm

Recipiants of the award have to agree to certain stipulations, there have been many porminent names who have turned down receiving the honor.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#9Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 2:09pm

QueenAlice said: "Recipiants of the award have to agree to certain stipulations, there have been many porminent names who have turned down receiving the honor."

What are the stipulations and who has turned it down?

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#10Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 3:34pm

Tag said: "Latifah takes the 'I have a show on CBS, and we have to promote it" spot."

I guess Tom Selleck or Cedric the Entertainer will be honored soon. 

Zeppie2022
#11Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:02pm

"Others who are long overdue include:
Jane Fonda (!!!)"

Doubt you will ever see this happen. There would be such outrage from military veterans (Vietnam War) if she was to be honored in Washington DC with the POTUS at the ceremony.

Jarethan
#12Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:17pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""Others who are long overdue include:
Jane Fonda (!!!)"

Doubt you will ever see this happen. There would be such outrage from military veterans (Vietnam War) if she was to be honored in Washington DC with the POTUS at the ceremony.
"

Agree.

My one issue with this year’s honorees is Queen Latifah, but I acknowledge that I don’t really know how big her rap career was, and I hate rap music.  Queen Latifah has a KC honor, but not Glenn Close or Jessica Lange, to cite 2 stellar careers covering film, stage and, in Close’s case a very impressive TV career.  3 Tonys, 3 Emmys, 8 or 9 Oscar nominations.  What does Glenn Close have to do…

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#13Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:21pm

And The Bee Gees are soooo loooong overdue. I wish they were honored when all three were still alive.

Ke3
#14Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:30pm

I don't have a problem with Queen Latifah getting one because looking at what she's already done and what she'll likely do over the next 30 years, it was bound to happen eventually, CBS show or not. Still, WHERE IS LIZA. I don't care if we talk about it every year. Until somebody says she doesn't want it, I'll keep mentioning it.

Zeppie2022
#15Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/22/23 at 10:44pm

"Close’s case a very impressive TV career.  3 Tonys, 3 Emmys, 8 or 9 Oscar nominations.  What does Glenn Close have to do…"

Makes you wonder about these awards at times. She is 76 years old so let's hope then finally honor her before it is too late.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#16Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 8:49am

May be an image of text that says 'TIP US DEADLINE HOME/ AWARDSLINE AWARDS Thousands of gays descend upon DC after Kennedy Center snubs Liza Minnelli once again By Ted Johnson June 22, 2023 5:32am Fight EQUALITY የዮች WE THE ACLU PEOPLE R LIBERTY JUSHCEFOR LIZA TEXTEQUALITY chop'

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#17Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:43am

Latifah is a legend, but Latifah over Whoopi??

And I find it hard to believe Liza would have turned it down long ago, but in the past couple years, I'd believe it. The Oscars was likely her last public appearance.

I'm also curious who has turned it down...

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#18Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 10:03am

Regarding Liza, the list is very, very long of artists who haven't received a KC Honor.  

BETTY22
#19Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:41pm

I love Dionne Warwick response:

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#20Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:05pm

One word: Charo.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#21Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:34pm

Carol Burnett could present it to Charo as Charo.

Cuchi! Cuchi!

ManOfLaMuncha
PennClassic Profile Photo
PennClassic
#23Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/27/23 at 9:28am

I know that the Kennedy Center includes people from various performing arts each year but sometimes the selections and omissions are quite puzzling.  I read that one of my favorites, Doris Day, had always turned down the honor.  I do agree with those who feel that Glenn Close and Liza Minnelli are deserving.  When looking at all the past honorees, I was surprised that Mary Tyler Moore was never chosen.  Just like other awards, I guess the choices will always be open to scrutiny.  

Updated On: 6/27/23 at 09:28 AM

buffalospeedway
#24Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 6/27/23 at 3:22pm

Queen Latifah is a Grammy-winning rap icon who has also had a decades-long, highly-acclaimed (Emmy, GG, NAACP, and Oscar-nominated) acting career in film and television. She is getting this honor because she's had an incredible career, not because she's on a CBS show. Congrats to her!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#25Kennedy Center honorees announced
Posted: 12/28/23 at 11:48am

Very entertaining show last night. Cynthia Erivo delivered another magnificent vocal performance in the Dionne Warwick segment, singing "Alfie," Lin-Manuel Miranda, accompanied by Marc Shaiman, performed a fun Oscars-style medley for Billy Crystal, and Tituss Burgess, Susan Graham, and Christine Baranski honored Renée Fleming with "You'll Never Walk Alone." Ben Platt and Ariana DeBose were featured in the Barry Gibb tribute, but those clips aren't available online yet.

Videos