News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition- Page 2

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#25Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/6/23 at 6:26am

I’d love to see Studio 54 be home to Frecknall’s Streetcar Named Desire with Paul Mescal. Hope it does transfer!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/6/23 at 9:08am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "i'm curious to see what will go into the beaumont. any rumors?"

I’d like to see the London production of Crazy For You transfer
"

That's the rumor floating around now. But I'm sure Lincoln Center will fill the Beaumont with a short run of something for the Fall. Then Crazy For You opens in the Spring.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#27Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/6/23 at 10:25am

I know KARATE KID is certainly aiming for Broadway and has undergone revisions since its out of town premiere, but that would depend on a landlord giving them a house.

Would LCT produce CRAZY FOR YOU, or is it a rental situation?

Dylan Smith4
#28Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/6/23 at 10:33am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I know KARATE KID is certainly aiming for Broadway and has undergone revisions since its out of town premiere, but that would depend on a landlord giving them a house.

Would LCT produce CRAZY FOR YOU, or is it a rental situation?
"

If the designers want to recreate the set design like at the Gillian Lynne (which is a thrust stage), they need a large theatre to do so. The Beaumont is the only thrust stage on Broadway, so it would make sense to put it there. Didn’t Lincoln Center co-produce War Horse with the National? 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

lapinitsa Profile Photo
lapinitsa
#29Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/6/23 at 11:38am

jkcohen626 said: "Yeah they were selling tickets for an "unidentified" theatre that was very clearly the Barrymore minus a few rows at the back to obscure it. Garth refused to announce Paradise Square's closing, so they couldn't say that's what they had booked.

When Company announced their closing, they switched over to the Jacobs.
"

That's right. And there were posts on the forum during that time about how seat locations changed for people who bought tickets for what was clearly the Barrymore but then had different seats at the Jacobs.

Timon3
#30Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/7/23 at 3:48pm

The RSC’s My Neighbour Totoro has/is selling very well in London, the second run looks to be another sell out. I could see this being the next War Horse in New York. The perfect theatre for it is still  empty, that being the Imperial, just the right size!!

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#31Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/7/23 at 3:58pm

OHH I'd love for that to transfer!!!

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Chaz Hands
#32Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/7/23 at 4:39pm

Didn’t John Leguizamo say Kiss My Aztec had a theater lined up for this season??

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#33Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/7/23 at 7:38pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "If the designers want to recreate the set design like at the Gillian Lynne (which is a thrust stage), they need a large theatre to do so. The Beaumont is the only thrust stage on Broadway, so it would make sense to put it there. Didn’t Lincoln Center co-produce War Horse with the National?"

I haven't seen the London production but have seen many production photos and it looks like the set stays upstage of the proscenium and the thrust is just empty stage space (set wise). Is there something I'm missing, or couldn't the set still work in a regular proscenium theatre?

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#34Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/7/23 at 9:24pm

Chaz Hands said: "Didn’t John Leguizamo say Kiss My Aztec had a theater lined up for this season??"

Recently? I heard him say something to that effect last year but not since.

Chaz Hands
#35Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/8/23 at 12:44am

pethian said: "Chaz Hands said: "Didn’t John Leguizamo say Kiss My Aztec had a theater lined up for this season??"

Recently? I heard him say something to that effect last year but not since.
"

I thought he said at the end of 2022 that it’ll open in 2023. It didn’t really sound like wishful thinking. I thought he treated it like an announcement, but maybe I’m wrong??

For me, there’s a big difference in saying musicals are Broadway-bound/have a Broadway trajectory (Karate Kid, Boop, Lempicka etc.) versus saying it will open on Broadway in 2023. One is hypothetical and the other sounds more authenticated, but maybe he made the whole thing up and he’s a really big manifester. Anything is definitely possible haha

thephantomlurker
#36Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/8/23 at 8:05am

Wiz will be taking the Lunt after Sweeney wraps up (my guess is in January)

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#37Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/11/23 at 11:31am

The Walter Kerr will be available next season

amiyagi
#38Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/11/23 at 10:30pm

Broadway Flash said: "The Walter Kerr will be available next season"

Any idea when? I've got tickets to Hadestown in November...

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#39Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/11/23 at 10:57pm

I thought An Enemy of the People was going into the Hudson after Merrily closes, but Merrily just extended for two more months, so I guess Enemy will have to go somewhere else. I'm trying to remember where I heard the Hudson, so I don't know how accurate that information is/was.

Broadway Flash
#40Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/11/23 at 11:20pm

Hadestown will close December 31 and perhaps extend if theres demand.  It will be free for a new tenant Spring 2024, maybe Days of Wine and Roses?

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#41Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 12:03am

I hate the idea of discussing shows closing merely because I never want to see people lose work. Not just actors, but the crews, musicians, Front-of-House staff but it is the circle of Broadway life. Based on today's grosses, my predictions are:

New York, New York by August 6.

Here Lies Love by August 13 (Salonga's last day). Could stretch to September 3.

Some Like it Hot by September 3.

Shucked by September 3 but I think could push though the fall if they continue to at least break even.

Beautiful Noise by September 3 unless they want to give their new schedule a try in the fall.

OUAOMT by September 3 at the latest.

Kimberly Akimbo by January 7.

Hadestown by January 7.

perfectpenguin
#42Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 4:07am

amiyagi said: "Broadway Flash said: "The Walter Kerr will be available next season"

Any idea when? I've got tickets to Hadestown in November...
"

It’s not. Nothing indicates Hadestown closing anytime soon. Will it will run forever? No, but it’s still earning and playing to standing room only audiences each night. 

Broadway Flash
#43Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 10:11am

The principals are all leaving, and audiences are thinning out. Say goodbye. 

Dylan Smith4
#44Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 10:16am

Broadway Flash said: "The principals are all leaving, and audiences are thinning out. Say goodbye."

Bro, the show is not struggling financially. They haven’t even started stunt casting it. Hopefully that’s doesn’t happen. Just because Eva is leaving, that doesn’t mean the show is bound to close. You really need to get your facts straight when it comes to this. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#45Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 10:32am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "The principals are all leaving, and audiences are thinning out. Say goodbye."

Bro, the show is not struggling financially. They haven’t even started stunt casting it. Hopefully that’s doesn’t happen. Just because Eva is leaving, that doesn’t mean the show is bound to close. You really need to get your facts straight when it comes to this.
"

Right. Replacement casts are a thing. I'd say it's a sign of great success if you reach the point where you need replacements. 

Also, the "audiences are thinning?" They might be paying less than a couple years ago, but the show still fills up every night. 

thephantomlurker
#46Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 10:49am

jkcohen626 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "The principals are all leaving, and audiences are thinning out. Say goodbye."

Also, the "audiences are thinning?" They might be paying less than a couple years ago, but the show still fills up every night.
"

Literally the only thing that matters is: are the grosses higher than the expenses. As long as that remains the case, the show stays open. The second the producers think there's no more money to be made, or that they're at risk of long term losses, they'll plan for closing. But that isn't happening imminently and certainly not happening before the lucrative holidays. And I'd wager that if the producers thought there might be a close week or two when they'll take a loss in order to cash in on Christmas sales, there's certainly enough money in the bank to cover a couple of losing weeks.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#47Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 10:56am

A Beautiful Noise has tickets on sale through June 2024. I don't think they'd have tickets on sale that far in advance if it was in danger of closing. Their advance for the Fall looks pretty solid with their new, 4 matinee/week schedule. Their target audience likely won't be in NYC this summer, but will return in the Fall when the city is quieter.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway Flash
#48Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 12:09pm

I’ve heard it from producers that they’re closing the show. Costs are going up and interest in the show is waning. It’s difficult to find replacements, omg other issues. They will be out of there January the latest, and a new show will come in Spring 2024. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/12/23 at 12:51pm

The tour is making quick, one week stops. I think the show just has run its course. It's a terrific show, everyone made money, won awards, but it is probably time to close it up.

Videos