pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 1:39pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/9/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: HERE LIES LOVE (12.7%), LIFE OF PI (7.5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (1.9%), MJ THE MUSICAL (1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-11.1%), ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME (-8.1%), GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (-8.1%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-7.9%), NEW YORK, NEW YORK (-6.3%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-5.5%), SHUCKED (-5.2%), CAMELOT (-5.1%), GREY HOUSE (-4.6%), THE LION KING (-4.1%), JUST FOR US (-4.1%), CHICAGO (-3.6%), SIX (-3.4%), PARADE (-3.3%), HADESTOWN (-2.8%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-2.4%), PETER PAN GOES WRONG (-2%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-1.1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-0.9%), & JULIET (-0.8%), ALADDIN (-0.8%), FUNNY GIRL (-0.4%), HAMILTON (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

hearthemsing22
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 1:47pm

Now can I worry about Six? It's at ~$800,000.. but is that okay for a show that size with barely a set and such a small cast? 

Ricey2
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 1:50pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Now can I worry about Six? It's at ~$800,000.. but is that okay for a show that size with barely a set and such a small cast?"

No lol 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 1:59pm

I'd say a mid-summer closing for New York, New York will be announced imminently. I also suspect that a Labor Day closing is in the cards for Some Like it Hot. Especially given the reporting from the Post.

Shucked I'm more curious about. They've been going down as of late but still appear to be at least breaking even. This could definitely get it through the summer but I'm worried about its prospects going into the fall. I adore the show and want it to succeed.

Back to the Future is showing immense strength so far. I think it will sustain these numbers throughout the summer, giving it a strong footing to get through the fall and pick right back up for the holidays. I definitely see it getting to the spring and the Tony Awards.

starlightlocamotion
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:00pm

Saddened but not shocked by the numbers for HLL…here’s hoping reviews can give this one a boost.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:00pm

Big oof, but I suppose it's just that it was 4th of July week and a lot locals were away or not seeing shows. 

Does anyone know how much it costs to run Moulin Rouge? It's over $1 mil right? Kind of out of nowhere, that show seems like it could fall below it's operating costs. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:09pm

I'd think all 3 of the Best Musical noms will close around Labor Day and Kimberly will ride it out through the end of the year and hopefully turn a profit. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:16pm

RippedMan said: "I'd think all 3 of the Best Musical noms will close around Labor Day and Kimberly will ride it out through the end of the year and hopefully turn a profit."

Shucked still made money last week. Its operating costs are in the low $600Ks. Its going to make it to January unless something crazy happens. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:16pm

Yikes! This week was a killer for most shows. Hopefully things start to pickup.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 2:37pm

I know the 4th means take these numbers with a grain of salt but still... Big yikes to A Beautiful Noise, Here Lies Love, NYNY, OUAOMT & Some Like It Hot

That is truly terrible for Camelot. Not even any last minute interest with a closing announcement (as opposed to Life of Pi)

Not a great week for Kimberly but I will be more concerned if it looks bad next week after we've gotten through the 4th/weird performance schedules.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Six's numbers lately. It feels like it's having the same issues Moulin Rouge had last summer where it's getting squeezed out by newer shows. But perhaps, like Moulin, it will recover as a steady title when some newer shows close.

I pretty much glance over it on a weekly basis but when you stop and think about it, The Lion King's numbers are truly astounding for a 25 year old show.

Updated On: 7/11/23 at 02:37 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:08pm

Six’s extremely low operating costs mean it can sustain a period of lower grosses, probably for a long while. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:14pm

Kad said: "Six’s extremely low operating costs mean it can sustain a period of lower grosses, probably for a long while."

I'm happy to hear that! Do we know (or have a guess) at what their weekly operating costs are?

BETTY22
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:20pm

OUCH. A rough week for some many new shows. 

Is something going on big picture?

No wonder we have so many revivals coming in and so few original new musicals. We have got to change this. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:26pm

BETTY22 said: "OUCH. A rough week for some many new shows.

Is something going on big picture?

No wonder we have so many revivals coming in and so few original new musicals. We have got to change this.
"

As people have mentioned in the last couple weeks, we could see this coming. The 4th is not kind to NYC especially non-tourist shows. The holiday falling on a Tuesday impacted two weeks worth of grosses to some extent as far as people traveling & altered performance schedules. If the numbers are this bad next week then I will be concerned. But the last two weeks were wacky.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:37pm

Kad said: "Six’s extremely low operating costs mean it can sustain a period of lower grosses, probably for a long while."

And once it slips below that threshold, they can always close it and put it right in New World Stages, where they can probably squeeze many more years out of it there. (Kinda like how Rock of Ages downsized to the Hayes and Avenue Q downsized to NWS)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:46pm

quizking101 said: "Kad said: "Six’s extremely low operating costs mean it can sustain a period of lower grosses, probably for a long while."

And once it slips below that threshold, they can always close it and put it right in New World Stages, where they can probably squeeze many more years out of it there. (Kinda like how Rock of Ages downsized to the Hayes and Avenue Q downsized to NWS)
"

And in the case of SIX, they probably won’t have to downsize the cast/musicians at all. It’s a tiny show as is.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/11/23 at 03:46 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 3:51pm

bdn223 said: "RippedMan said: "I'd think all 3 of the Best Musical noms will close around Labor Day and Kimberly will ride it out through the end of the year and hopefully turn a profit."

Shucked still made money last week. Its operating costs are in the low $600Ks. Its going to make it to January unless something crazy happens.
"

Sept / Oct is what's going to happen. But we shall see.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 4:07pm

SIX also had a very aggressive and fast global roll out. I'm not sure how many productions are going currently, but multiple productions are playing nightly in the states, Europe, Asia and Australia.  Because it is staged essentially as an 80 minute concert with not a lot of stage spectacle, it's possible that audiences coming to New York may not want to pay top dollar to see it (or see it again) here. Its a fabulous show, but I think it could burn out on Broadway quicker than its small size might indicate.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

lapinitsa Profile Photo
lapinitsa
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 4:56pm

QueenAlice said: "SIX also had a very aggressive and fast global roll out. I'm not sure how many productions are going currently, but multiple productions are playing nightly in the states, Europe, Asia and Australia. Because it is staged essentially as an 80 minute concert with not a lot of stage spectacle, it's possible that audiences coming to New York may not want to pay top dollar to see it (or see it again) here. Its a fabulous show, but I think it could burn out on Broadway quicker than its small size might indicate."

Ah. What you say makes a lot of sense to me. Especially about not wanting to pay Broadway prices a second time for 80 minutes of low-spectacle entertainment. I hadn't considered that before.

BoringBoredBoard40
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:04pm

Six cost like 400,000 a week to run, it is fine 

very bizarre that even with the holiday that Kimberly with a best musical win couldn't fill the house the last two weeks

RUkiddingme
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:42pm

I can't wait for that Britney joke of a show to close.  So nice to see audiences rejecting it.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:49pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Six cost like 400,000 a week to run, it is fine

very bizarre that even with the holiday that Kimberly with a best musical win couldn't fill the house the last two weeks
"

Mmmm. Is this becoming the lowest performing best musical winner since Passion? I’m so surprised and thought it would be doing better. Hopefully things can pick up or I wonder if we might be looking at a Labour Day or January closing if it starts to lose steam? Hope not. I really think it’s a marketing challenge personally since word of mouth must have been positive enough to keep it afloat when it had a very weak advance and there is no real draw on paper (I’ll also say that availability at the Atlantic was often there too in that small theatre - it wasn’t like a smash hit sell out). I thought a Best Musical win could solve the marketing challenge. Maybe not enough. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

RUkiddingme
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:08pm

Regarding Kimberly - has there been much discussion on the fact that it's not a family show?  It's not even a PG-13 show!  The language is very bad and will keep away a ton of people.

Am I making this up or didn't Billy Elliot has the same problem?  Didn't they try toning down the cursing at one point?

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:22pm

RUkiddingme said: "Regarding Kimberly - has there been much discussion on the fact that it's not a family show? It's not even a PG-13 show! The language is very bad and will keep away a ton of people.

Am I making this up or didn't Billy Elliot has the same problem? Didn't they try toning down the cursing at one point?

"

I don't know if it started out as a problem for Billy Elliot, but they definitely cut the cursing towards the end. And I wouldn't consider the language in KE to be "very bad." There's a C word, but I doubt that's what's keeping audiences away, since it isn't in a song and there's therefore no way of knowing ahead of time unless you know the script. I had hoped/am hoping for a Fun Home-esque run for this beautiful show.

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 7/11/23 at 06:22 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23
Posted: 7/11/23 at 7:27pm

binau said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Six cost like 400,000 a week to run, it is fine

"

Mmmm. Is this becoming the lowest performing best musical winner since Passion? I’m so surprised and thought it would be doing better. Hopefully things can pick up or I wonder if we might be looking at a Labour Day or January closing if it starts to lose steam? 

Counting previews, PASSION ran for 332 performances, HALLELUJAH BABY ran for 315 performances, and A STRANGE LOOP ran for 306.

KA is currently at 308, including previews

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Videos