pixeltracker

Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway

Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway

kingfan011
#1Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 7:26pm

What shows have you seen that had the biggest changes from out of town to Broadway

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#2Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 7:45pm

the one i've seen with the biggest changes was Jekyll & Hyde, and everything they changed was worse

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 7/14/23 at 07:45 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:17pm

Finding Neverland.  It was magical at the ART,  the transfer lost all of the charm. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Fordham2015
#4Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:23pm

I saw Mean Girls in DC with the original Act Two opener Bossed Up, which works better IMO 

https://twitter.com/MeanGirlsBway/status/1248042401563893760

hearthemsing22
#5Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:25pm

Anastasia completely changed "Paris Hold The Key To Your Heart". I think they included more of the lyrics from the song in the movie. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 9:13pm

The 2002 Billy Joel dance musical MOVIN’ OUT, directed and choreographed by the legendary Twyla Tharp. The show was ripped apart by the critics in Chicago that they scrapped everything they had done and virtually started from zero again for its Broadway run, which ended up being enormously successful earning 10 Tony Award nominations and winning 2. 

RWPrincess
#7Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 10:11pm

I saw SIX in Chicago and then the 1st preview on Broadway in Feb 2020. It seemed like the costumes were a bit sparklier on Broadway. And we were allowed to film MegaSIX with encouragement from the cast and ushers in Chicago.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:14pm

dramamama611 said: "Finding Neverland. It was magical at the ART, the transfer lost all of the charm."

If I may counter:

At the ART, it was a C+ musical with an A- leading actor.

On Broadway, it was a B- musical with a B- leading actor.

I guess I preferred it on Broadway? But it all just felt sort of like a pointless missed opportunity. And I'd love to hear/see the Frankel & Korie version sometime.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:19pm

Into the Woods had a time paradox: the narrator, the mysterious man, the Baker’s father and the baker’s son were all the same person. This proved too confusing and it was turned into metatheatrics instead of a literal flat-circle time loop.

The Book of Mormon used to have a much darker and somewhat more racist ending: instead of Elder Cunningham becoming an inadvertent new prophet and starting a spinoff religion, the Africans revive cannibalism after misinterpreting the Last Supper. They start a new “cannibal Christianity” to devour the missionaries they are sent from then on, starting with Price and Cunningham.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#10Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/14/23 at 11:19pm

Went to the first preview in Chicago of the Spongebob Musical, it was like 3 hours long! 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 11:03am

^ on Broadway, it felt like four!

Was that truly the original ending to Mormon? That sounds hysterical!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 12:05pm

Yeah. If you listen to the original demos you hear the Africans singing about killing and eating the missionaries like it’s Communion.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#13Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 12:52pm

Frank Wildhorn's Wonderland was pretty much completely overhauled between its out of town tryouts in both Houston and Tampa and Broadway. The show was always messy, but I think what ended up on Broadway was arguably worse than the out of town tryout versions...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 4:34pm

If the recent west end production of Company counts as a Broadway out of town try out, they really went all out in improving the Broadway production in nearly every way. The orchestrations were enhanced, the set was enhanced adding more details, rain, a trap door etc., and things that didn’t work (Another Hundred People being in a literal subway car) were revamped. I think they carefully thought about how to transform the production for New York City given the higher standards, and in my opinion it worked. The marketing/brand changes were also so, so cool.

But the biggest change and enhancement was the cast. Katrina Lenk brought much more depth and complexity to the acting including and especially while singing, and her vocals in my opinion broke new ground for a Sondheim show with her smokey sultry timbre that is a very unusual sound for Broadway and Sondheim (particularly Someone is Waiting). She was sexy but also so, so vulnerable at times. It was the New York Bobby we needed, whereas Rosalie Craig sure had a pleasant voice and maybe was a little warmer but it’s not the kind of performance that in my opinion really moves you or breaks ground. 

Basically all of the rest of the cast were vocally stronger and the comedy just really hit the mark - Jennifer Simard in particular was absolutely, absolutely outrageous. The entire ensemble of actors is one of the strongest I’ve ever seen, with every one of them basically shining in their parts no matter how small. Who knew that Terence Archie could add so much depth to the dynamic between his and Joanne’s character and also add more subtext to Joanne’s behaviour behind closed doors through the way he read the lines about leaving. 

It was like going from HD to 4K resolution. Though in hindsight maybe some unwise economic decisions were made with the enhancements because it seems like the show was probably much more expensive to run than I would have thought given the relatively early closing despite ok grosses. 

Ironically, because the cast around her was so much stronger Patti actually stood out more in London than in New York in my opinion. The only other cast member I thought should have transferred is Jonathan Bailey. He might not have Matt Doyle’s technique but it’s hard to resist his charisma. As fine as Doyle was and of course he has the Tony anyway. 

A quintessential example of why I constantly find the standards of New York musical theatre to be much higher than the West End, and why I can’t stop wasting all of my money going to New York. I think it’s probably diminishing returns to most theatre goers so I wouldn’t say it’s good value for money as such, but when you’re obsessed, when you’re chasing perfection of that perfectly oiled machine where every detail is considered and perfectly executed to just take it to that ecstasy and really give you sounds you’ve never heard before, comedy you’ve never seen before (or obviously the writing too if it’s new material) usually New York City is the place to be.  

It’s such a shame no cast recording or filmed version was made. But it makes it all the more special and happy I was able to catch the show, just once - and this is the last Broadway production of his work Sondheim ever gave notes to. 

Sondheim seems to love bizarre and unusual voices that have a wide range of emotion expression - he seemed to love Bernadette’s for example. So I’m not surprised he was completely on board with Katrina. Whatever Sondheim seems to hear, I feel like I hear it too even if it’s not to everyone’s tastes. I think Broadway was expecting to hear Bobbie belt Being Alive, and when Katrina became so vulnerable and exposed during that song they didn’t know what to make of it. My jaw dropped. I think she might have even topped Patti’s ‘Ladies who lunch’. 

Similarly, hearing Bernadette’s vulnerability and slow vibrato over ‘In Buddy’s Eyes’ destroyed me and still continues to destroy me to this day, and I’ve listened to the recording over 1,000 times (maybe I have a problem I admit). Many seem to just dismiss Bernadette and Katrina’s performances as vocally challenged. Whatever, to each their own. I can’t wait to see if I can find any of this in ‘Here We Are’. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#15Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 4:46pm

Regarding the recent revival of COMPANY: It’s such a shame no cast recording or filmed version was made.

A good pal was a principal in the revival and he confirmed a non-TOFT full show video was indeed filmed (including one which the documentary used footage from). Will it ever surface?  We hope so as it does indeed exist. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 4:58pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Regarding the recent revival of COMPANY: It’s such a shame no cast recording or filmed version was made.

A good pal was a principal in the revival and he confirmed a non-TOFT full show video was indeed filmed (including one which the documentary used footage from). Will it ever surface? We hope so as it does indeed exist.
"

WOW!!!! So glad to hear this. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

RWPrincess
#17Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 5:09pm

binau said: "The only other cast member I thought should have transferred is Jonathan Bailey. He might not have Matt Doyle’s technique but it’s hard to resist his charisma. As fine as Doyle was and of course he has the Tony anyway."

Jonathan also won the Olivier for the role. I always wanted him to replace Matt when his contract was up. It would have timed well with his character Anthony's Bridgerton season so I think there would have been interest.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/15/23 at 11:02pm

The dream would be that because of the strikes a streaming service or two will become desperate for new content so they actually do pay the producers for the filmed copy and we see it later this year. I’m hoping what has happened is that all the legalities re: contracts for filming were done properly and the main issue is that they are holding onto the material waiting for a buyer. In normal times Company gets the short straw because the streaming services don’t think it’ll get enough viewership for the price producers want. But times is hard, times is hardddddd. The viewership might be higher if audiences are looking for new content right now and with no competition suddenly Company becomes much more attractive. 

Updated On: 7/15/23 at 11:02 PM

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#20Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/16/23 at 1:57pm

I didn't see the London version so I don't know if this is a change to make a "nicer"-sounding cast album. But, the Broadway production ends on a totally different mood than the West End recording. Rosalie Craig's Being Alive is a proclamation. It's confident and forceful and even joyful at times. I like Rosalie a lot and she sings it wonderfully. But, I think that's a complete misunderstanding of where Bobbie should be at the end of the show. Bobbie is someone at war with herself. She has all the puzzle pieces but refuses to put them together until Being Alive. Someone at war with themselves is always going to be in a win-win and lose-lose situation. Independent of whichever side "wins," they will both win and lose. The "side" of Bobbie interest in marriage wins in the end, but she's saying goodbye to much of the core of her life up until this point. It's a fundamentally painful thing to do and that's what comes across in Katrina Lenk's Being Alive. It was a tearjerker that she cried through. I thought she was just brilliant. 

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#21Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/16/23 at 3:56pm

The Cher Show was flawed but interesting in Chicago.  The show within the show device allowed Cher(s) to be more emotional and candid; the real fear of having so much success but ending alone, leading to the ballad version of "Do You Believe" was worth the price of admission.   They gutted all that and turned it into an amusement park ride with Cher songs. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

mememe
#22Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/17/23 at 8:28am

The footage of the original KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN is fascinating! 

The try-out was specifically not supposed to be reviewed, and yet the press turned up and pretty much tore it to pieces. That absolutely could have tanked the show’s future but luckily they retooled the whole thing (boy did they ever) 

I believe one reviewer actually wrote something along the lines of ‘This might work with a star like Chita Rivera’ 

They also then fired the choreography when Chita came on board, and the new production was in rehearsals. I can’t remember the full story but ‘styles not meshing’ 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#23Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/17/23 at 10:17am

The production of KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMEN at SUNY Purchase was not an out of town tryout. It was a developmental production (part of a series SUNY initiated with the show) aimed to give producers a safe space to premiere material. When the NY Times obnoxiously excersied the right to attend (and review the show prematurely) there was enormous outrage by Prince and the theatrical community. The SUNY purchase initiative was scrapped almost immediately after.

Thinking of difference in terms of script and score, one of the biggest overhauls was Grand Hotel,which was completely rewritten - includiing bringing in a new compsing team during its Boston out of town tryout.  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#24Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/17/23 at 10:18am

binau said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Regarding the recent revival of COMPANY: It’s such a shame no cast recording or filmed version was made.

A good pal was a principal in the revival and he confirmed a non-TOFT full show video was indeed filmed (including one which the documentary used footage from). Will it ever surface? We hope so as it does indeed exist.
"

"

Well that’s good to hear! Also, wasn’t the London production professionally filmed as well? I really wish Rosalie came over to New York to play Bobbie as she was the very first woman to do it. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

hearthemsing22
#25Biggest differences between OOT tryouts and Broadway
Posted: 7/17/23 at 10:44am

Dylan Smith4 said: "binau said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Regarding the recent revival of COMPANY: It’s such a shame no cast recording or filmed version was made.

"

"

Well that’s good to hear! Also, wasn’t the London production professionally filmed as well? I really wish Rosalie came over to New York to play Bobbie as she was the very first woman to do it.

"

It's always nice when OLC members join Broadway productions and vice versa. But it's never required, and it gives other actors a chance. I think it's awesome