THEATER CAMP review round up

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 12:31am

I'll hate on Platt for days, but I will say the previews look pretty cute/funny. Would I pay to sit in a theater and see it? No. But I'm sure it'll pop up on a streaming service. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 1:46pm

Saw this at the Ptown film festival. I found it a slog aside from Noah Galvin’s marvelous nuanced performance. He saves the end of the film. I found it an inferior knock off of Camp, which is filled with so much heart. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Ensemble1680343767
#4THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 3:01pm

It’s currently sitting at 79% on Rotten Tomatoes and is Certified Fresh. A better aggregate for many reviews with an established rating system, compared to just a handful of reviews on here. It’s doing just fine!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/theater_camp

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 3:28pm

Went this afternoon and really enjoyed it. If we’re comparing to “Camp”, that is an obviously better film but this one had enough hilarious moments in it to make it one that I’m sure I’ll watch frequently.  And yes, if anyone deserves praise from it, it’s Noah Galvin, who is phenomenal in it. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#6THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 3:34pm

It’s only playing at one theatre in the Chicago area it’s all the way downtown, I’ll be waiting for it to hit Hulu, as is expected from a Searchlight release

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RWPrincess
#7THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 5:14pm

My guess is this will end up on Hulu. I was watching a series on there last night and there were constant ads for the movie. 

perfectliar
#8THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/15/23 at 7:55pm

Call_me_jorge said: "It’s only playing at one theatre in the Chicago area it’s all the way downtown, I’ll be waiting for it to hit Hulu, as is expected from a Searchlight release"

It's expanding to more theatres in the coming weeks.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#9THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/16/23 at 9:22pm

I will wait for it to stream.  Not a BP fan but I am just more picky of what I actually go see in a theater.  Barbie I will see opening day. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#10THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 7:03am

I thought this was a damn blast. A theater movie written for and by theater obsessives. It works best when it sticks to the lighter fare, but I also connected with Platt and Gordon’s relationship quite a bit. If you’ve been to a camp like this you know how joyous and serious it can all feel. They definitely captured that spirit. 

Speed
#11THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 10:53am

I highly recommend seeing this at a theater. I saw it twice at AMC Lincoln Square and both showings were sold out.  It is a hilarious movie and watching it with a crowd was great.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 11:35am

DAME said: "I will wait for it to stream. Not a BP fan but I am just more picky of what I actually go see in a theater. Barbie I will see opening day."

Curious if after the reports of how well it's doing, if they're going to hold off on streaming and try to expand theaters in the coming weeks. 

Fosse76
#13THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 5:54pm

While I thought it had it's moments and certainly didnt hate it, it's nothing more than an exercise in theater and gay stereotypes. And it failed miserably in its premise as a mocumentary. It plays like a typical narrative film, with the only hints of being a "documentary" being the random title cards here and there.

OhHiii
#14THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 6:03pm

I will just never get over the fact that Rolling Stone was primed to write an effusively positive feature on the film from their interview with Ben, but all that came out of it was the headline that his feelings are still hurt over being called a nepo baby. Someone get this man a new publicity team because....that ain't how you handle it. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#15THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 6:09pm

^ YES. Talk about a dude who takes himself waaaay too seriously and can't simply laugh it off. Yikes. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/17/23 at 6:11pm

Fosse76 said: "While I thought it had it's moments and certainly didnt hate it, it's nothing more than an exercise in theater and gay stereotypes. And it failed miserably in its premise as a mocumentary. It plays like a typical narrative film, with the only hints of being a "documentary" being the random title cards here and there."

That was my fear from the previews. Like great more super gay theater stereotypes.. but I’ll prob watch it eventually. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#17THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/18/23 at 7:47pm

It's gotten some pretty good reviews.

perfectliar
#18THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/18/23 at 10:36pm

Jordan Catalano said: "DAME said: "I will wait for it to stream. Not a BP fan but I am just more picky of what I actually go see in a theater. Barbie I will see opening day."

Curious if after the reports of how well it's doing, if they're going to hold off on streaming and try to expand theaters in the coming weeks.
"

Expansion has always been the plan (see my post above, which was before it over performed at the box office this weekend). By August it'll be in 600-800 theatres, according to Deadline.

B212323
#19THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 12:42am

OhHiii said: "I will just never get over the fact that Rolling Stone was primed to write an effusively positive feature on the film from their interview with Ben, but all that came out of it was the headline that his feelings are still hurt over being called a nepo baby. Someone get this man a new publicity team because....that ain't how you handle it."

Right?! How do you not prep your client when you know it's something everyone's going to ask? (even if you told the reporter not to).  

Wayman_Wong
#20THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 2:41am

Rotten Tomatoes' critics rating for ''Theater Camp'' is sitting at 82%. What's surprising is its audience rating is lower at 76%. Usually, audience scores tend to be higher and more charitable. For instance, critics gave 68% to ''Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,'' but audiences rated it 88%.

Humor is so subjective. I went to ''Theater Camp'' expecting to love it and roar with laughter, but it mostly fell flat for me. And it paled in comparison to Todd Graff's 2003 ''Camp'' classic. 

Updated On: 7/19/23 at 02:41 AM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#21THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 2:43am

It’s painful and makes him look so much worse. He should’ve acknowledged his advantages and said, “Listen, I’ve had opportunities afforded to me, but I hope everyone sees my work ethic and believes that I have the talent to back it up.” Done. Why is that so hard?

And look - we’re now talking about this nonsense again instead of the movie. Not handled well at all and not doing him any favors.

Updated On: 7/19/23 at 02:43 AM

Wayman_Wong
#22THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 2:58am

When the movie trailer for ''Dear Evan Hansen'' first dropped in May 2021, Ben Platt, then 27, got criticized for looking too old to play a high schooler. His reaction was to slam ''the randos being jerks about age''' and urged them to ''watch Grease.'' 

Platt later said of that ''disappointing'' experience: ''It definitely opened my eyes to the internet and how horrific it can be.'' The irony is Platt spent a few years playing Evan, a young guy who grapples with his self-image on the Web.

Updated On: 7/19/23 at 02:58 AM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#23THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 7:24am

Why exactly should someone lie and not tell the world how they really feel?  I remember quite well the unhinged vitriole directed toward him - a unique mob mentality we have also seen recently directed toward Miss Feldstein.  

Ensemble1680343767
#24THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 7:40am

DramaTeach said: "It’s painful and makes him look so much worse. He should’ve acknowledged his advantages and said, “Listen, I’ve had opportunities afforded to me, but I hope everyone sees my work ethic and believes that I have the talent to back it up.” Done. Why is that so hard?"

My trouble is that he’s said pretty much exactly that in other interviews and it’s crickets. Why exactly should he have to regurgitate that same response when it already exists? There’s a reason none of his “good” responses have gone viral and him essentially saying “no comment” has. The internet has proven time and time again that they refuse to offer any nuance towards him. 

Also imo the Rolling Stone question about the Nepo Baby article was disingenuous and lazy. Why ask him about a months old article that added nothing the the cyclical conversation about Nepo Babies - written btw by a journalist who has said some pretty horrible things about Platt in the past. It’s no wonder he didn’t want to answer specifically to that, but Rolling Stone obviously saw a clickbait story here and used him for a headline.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25THEATER CAMP review round up
Posted: 7/19/23 at 11:19am

Maybe the funniest new movie I've yet to see this year. So delightfully specific. The theatre folk I was with all had a blast. Great that it got a theatrical release, not just streaming.

Great kid performances, too.