New Hadestown Casting

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#50New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 9/29/23 at 10:22am

jvoom said: "

Does anyone know how long Betty is expected to stay with the show, or whether she has any planned absences?

I'm not sure exactly when Betty is due to leave, but I do know the next Persephone is already locked in. I would love to catch Betty before then, having seen Jewelle (and Maria-Christina on tour)
"

Will it last to January to see these new replacements? I would love to see a new full time Orpheus before it closes, but I don't think we'll get that... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

hearthemsing22
#51New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 9/29/23 at 2:50pm

Voter said: "jvoom said: "

Does anyone know how long Betty is expected to stay with the show, or whether she has any planned absences?

I'm not sure exactly when Betty is due to leave, but I do know the next Persephone is already locked in. I would love to catch Betty before then, having seen Jewelle (and Maria-Christina on tour)
"

Will it last to January to see these new replacements? I would love to see a new full time Orpheus before it closes, but I don't think we'll get that...
"

Didn't Lillias extend recently? Although I do see in the announcement it says "a date to be announced"...maybe she'll just extend through the closing at the end of the year? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#52New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 9/29/23 at 3:23pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Voter said: "jvoom said: "

"

"

Didn't Lillias extend recently? Although I do see in the announcement it says "a date to be announced"...maybe she'll just extend through the closing at the end of the year?
"

Yes, through Feb. 2024.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#53New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 11:02am

Reeve Carney will play his final performance as Orpheus on November 19. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx8N8EuuAwP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#54New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 11:43am

I wonder if either Reeve booked something, or they brought in a replacement quicker after looking at those abysmal grosses these last few weeks. Interested to see if it helps-- because I'm not sure Solea and Betty Who have.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#55New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 11:45am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Woah! Wait a second! Where did this hate for Reeve Carney come from? Did I miss something?"

It’s not really hate so much as utter exhaustion from those of us who have seen the show and have noticed some visible vocal fry and straining that make the songs lose their luster.

Also, even last October when I revisited the show, I could tell he was sleepwalking through the role and the spark he and Eva had was long gone.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 11:46am

There has always been a lot of people that have felt Reeve was the weak link. This isn't new, by any means 

I would LOVE if Nick Barasch got the part, he was terrific early on the tour. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

hearthemsing22
#57New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 11:58am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Woah! Wait a second! Where did this hate for Reeve Carney come from? Did I miss something?"

I don't get it either 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#58New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 12:15pm

I wonder if they got a name for his replacement? The show certainly needs a boost in sales.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#59New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 12:35pm

If it is indeed to boost sales, I doubt they will go with my dream pick - Damon Daunno. He was so good in the role.

He won't really work opposite Solea but damn I'd love to see Joshua Bassett take this on Broadway. He would probably bring in some initial boost in sales from legion of younger fans.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

yyys
#60New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 12:50pm

I wanna go back without Reeve!  YES!!!

Hamilfan2
#61New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:17pm

ACL2006 said: "I wonder if they got a name for his replacement? The show certainly needs a boost in sales."

They did get a bigger name although I’m not convinced he’ll give them the box office bump they need.  We’ll have to see what happens!  

It’s someone who has been on Broadway recently.

ElephantLoveMedley
#62New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:20pm

I didn't at all understand the Reeve dislike back in 2019 when the show opened. I thought he was absolutely fantastic in the role and was royally deprived of a Tony nomination.

However, something happened when the show returned from the pandemic, and I've found his performance since then to be intensely grating and unpleasant to listen to. It definitely has felt like vocal fatigue recently.

That said, he did a beautiful job bringing this role to Broadway and seems a lovely person. I think he's tremendously talented and hope he has future Broadway projects in store.

JSquared2
#63New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:35pm

Hamilfan2 said: "ACL2006 said: "I wonder if they got a name for his replacement? The show certainly needs a boost in sales."

They did get a bigger name although I’m not convinced he’ll give them the box office bump they need. We’ll have to see what happens!

It’s someone who has been on Broadway recently.
"

Justin Guarini?

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#64New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 2:17pm

Jordan Fisher.

🙄🙄🙄

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#65New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 2:39pm

Bring back Damon Daunno finally!

amiyagi
#66New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 2:52pm

broadwayboy222 said: "Jordan Fisher.

🙄🙄🙄
"

please tell me you're joking.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#67New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 2:59pm

amiyagi said: "broadwayboy222 said: "Jordan Fisher.

🙄🙄🙄
"

please tell me you're joking.

"

…He jumped ship on Sweeney Todd to end up here? Certainly seems quite odd and also I’m guessing the understudies are probably all ready to go for when he doesn’t show.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 3:07pm

broadwayboy222 said: "Jordan Fisher.

🙄🙄🙄
"

My goodness, NO! Just close the show instead

OhHiii
#69New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 3:34pm

What's that announcement even going to say? "Jordan Fisher will play the role of Orpheus starting X date and....maybe a few shows here and there after that"

The guy has never shown ability (or willingness, who knows) to walk the walk in an 8 show week (ethics around an 8 show week notwithstanding). Even Sweeney was only 7/week. Not everyone who can sing can cut it on Broadway, and he's made clear he's one of them.

That said, his voice would fit Hadestown's score MUCH better than Sweeney did which was embarrassing, quite frankly.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#70New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 5:12pm

I’m hoping Michael Wartella gets to play Orpheus 

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

PipingHotPiccolo
#71New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 8:21pm

Jordan Fisher would actually make a great Orpheus, his attendance record notwithstanding, but i think this was suggested in jest.

The responses here to Carney's departure are disappointing, and typical of the way many here operate in an insane bubble on these boards.  Y'all are just frustrated that Carney hasn't moved on on the timetable you'd prefer.

I get it: i thought Carney was doing interesting work at first, but my return visit confirmed what everyone else had said-- strained voice, bored, disjointed performance. Im excited to see whoever replaces him. But we keep seeing this attitude of "when will XYZ leave already!" from the tiny tiny minority of repeat viewers, who seem to think they are owed new performers on a regular basis.

Theatrefanboy1
#72New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 8:43pm

Though doubtful.  I would love to hear brendon urie sing Orpheus role.  I think he’d be incredible 

mshalo18
#73New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 8:45pm

Sweaty made a video about Jordan Fisher replacing Reeve, proceeded to rant about Jordan having poor attendance- to which Jordan Fisher commented "Love you too". 

Pretty much made my day.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#74New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 10/3/23 at 9:08pm

On this Mean Girls day I wish to say this to Broadway Casting Directors, stop trying to make Jordan happen, it’s not going to happen. He’s not even a household name, like why? His attendance is bad and his voice is mediocre. I’ve never got it, and I was thankful he was out of the Sweeney performance I attended. He’s also not going to move the needle on their grosses which is necessary. 

Updated On: 10/3/23 at 09:08 PM

Videos