pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024- Page 2

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 8/28/23 at 10:29am

Call_me_jorge said: "I hope Anna D. Shapiro gets another chance to direct a big budget musical. I’m not sure what went wrong here for her."

I think she'd be more than fine with something with the scale/tone of BAND'S VISIT or KIMBERLY AKIMBO. But, as Arthur Laurents said, sometimes directors just don't have the musical in their bones. Case in point: her Steppenwolf collaborator Pam Mackinnon (AMELIE).

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#26THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 8/28/23 at 11:15am

Shapiro made Miranda too sensible. The target audience wants a monster. She needs to be Norma Desmond, Rose Hovick and Company’s Joann combined.

In Chicago she was more like Professor Callahan from Legally Blonde.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

MidWestTheater
#27THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 8/28/23 at 11:48am

I too saw this in Chicago and agree with everyone that this is a big old mess, but I think there could be some salvation here. I really hope they keep Javiar Munoz, who was hands down the best part of the show. Not just him the actor, but the role of Nigel was the most thought out and fully realized character. He got the two best songs of the show, and it's almost like this was the character Elton John and Shaina Taub were the most interested in. Ironically, kind of like that documentary "The September Issue" where the film was supposed to me more focused on Anna Wintour, but the filmmaker were way more interested in Grace Coddington.

I think Jerry Mitchell could knock this out of the park and make it even more campy, which it needs. 

Someone I think on the original board about this musical, said that Miranda should be like the Phantom. Where even when they are off-stage their presence is always hovering over. Honestly, when Miranda wasn't on stage you forgot about her. Meryl Streep is actually not in the film very much, but man do you feel her through out that whole film. I totally think this is possible, and also give Miranda's big number in the scene where she is most vulnerable, when she let's her guard down with Andy. For some reason in Chicago, her big number was concoting the plan to save her job, sung at the luncheon in Paris.

Also, they really need to up those costumes. Bring on Pat Field as a consultant, because to me that was the biggest travesty.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#28THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 4:05pm

https://x.com/ShaunTossell/status/1701683609323647188?s=20

https://x.com/ATDazzles/status/1701565502156398997?s=20

I'm not helping feed the rumor, but here we go. lol.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 04:05 PM

Dolly80
#29THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:46pm

Summer next year. Whole new creative team. New sets and costumes and Hannah Waddingham is playing Miranda.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 05:46 PM

Robbie516
#30THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:53pm

In NY?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#31THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:15pm

Any new authors joining the team?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:16pm

https://devilwearspradamusical.com

Out of town tryout in July then London in October. They’re putting it into The Dominion which is just enormous so they must think this has some real selling power. 

Now directed by Jerry Mitchell which is a plus, at least. 

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 06:16 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:50pm

Hannah plus Elton? I could see this being a giant hit.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#35THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/12/23 at 8:13pm

The book and a score were both abysmal in Chicago. Glad they have a new director at the helm as Shapiro was in way over her head, but I really hope they address the glaring issues with the book and score. A new set and costumes must be in order too, because what I saw I Chicago was absolutely embarrassingly cheap and tacky.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#36THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/12/23 at 8:40pm

As long as Elton’s still involved, I ain’t optimistic 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/12/23 at 8:46pm

I understand it’s “show business” but I truly feel terrible for the performers, costumers, and other artists who were involved with the previous production. Now they’re just collateral damage. Hopefully they were all notified before hand that their production was not moving forward, I’m assuming so as mostly everyone got new jobs.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#39THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/12/23 at 8:52pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I understand it’s “show business” but I truly feel terrible for the performers, costumers, and other artists who were involved with the previous production. Now they’re just collateral damage. Hopefully they were all notified before hand that their production was not moving forward, I’m assuming so as mostly everyone got new jobs."

The silver lining is that the Chicago production was a commercial production. Had it been at Paper Mill or ART or another nonprofit, everyone would have made significantly less money.

It's also not uncommon for the designers and some of the actors to have buyouts if the subsequent First Class production doesn't move forward with them...that might only be like 4 weeks pay for the actors, but hey, it's somethin. Anna Shapiro could also get a hefty payday/profit participation (assuming she was fired and did not quit).

Overhauling a show is a costly move, especially when artists of this calibre are involved. But it shows that Kevin McCollum & co. believe that it has commercial potential.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 08:52 PM

lapinitsa Profile Photo
lapinitsa
#40THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/12/23 at 9:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That is some crazy author billing on the website!"

Whoa! It sure is. I've never seen that done before.

pablitonizer
#41THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 8:03am

They're finally using the same logo and design from the movie to promote the musical, smart move! Remember this mess ?

I love Elton but I would have removed him from the music as well, and start fresh with a more modern style. One of the problems this musical had in the Chicago tryouts was the music 

willep
#42THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 8:09am

lapinitsa said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That is some crazy author billing on the website!"

"

Curious what you all are seeing that I’m not.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#43THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 8:19am

I hopefully will be back in London around that time next year. Prada is one of my favorite films! Just hope they really fix up the disaster that was the Chicago production. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#44THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 9:20am

Bruno Poet and Tim Hatley are the lighting and set designers, respectively.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#45THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 9:34am

willep said: "lapinitsa said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That is some crazy author billing on the website!"

"

Curious what you all are seeing that I’m not.
"

It doesn’t look as crazy on mobile. On desktop Elton’s name is on a line above the others in a significantly bigger font. Then below him the other 3 creative team members share a line, smaller font. (This would be a contractual thing not a ticket sales thing.)

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#46THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 9:51am

I am surprised they kept Kate Wetherhead as writer as none of her additions worked. Hypothesizing here but this tell me 1) they're going to add A LOT more dialogue from the film; 2) Jerry is paying back his scene stealing Legally Blonde alum.  :) 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#47THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 9:59am

Could be that they have a ghostwriter or heavy-handed dramaturg and they either don’t want credit or their credit hasn’t been determined yet since the show isn’t done. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 10:00am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I understand it’s “show business” but I truly feel terrible for the performers, costumers, and other artists who were involved with the previous production. Now they’re just collateral damage. Hopefully they were all notified before hand that their production was not moving forward, I’m assuming so as mostly everyone got new jobs."

The silver lining is that the Chicago production was a commercial production. Had it been at Paper Mill or ART or another nonprofit, everyone would have made significantly less money.

It's also not uncommon for the designers and some of the actors to have buyouts if the subsequent First Class production doesn't move forward with them...that might only be like 4 weeks pay for the actors, but hey, it's somethin. Anna Shapiro could also get a hefty payday/profit participation (assuming she was fired and did not quit).

Overhauling a show is a costly move, especially when artists of this calibre are involved. But it shows that Kevin McCollum & co. believe that it has commercial potential.
"

Since this is now a UK production, I would imagine any right of first refusal terms would no longer apply to the Chicago cast. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#49THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
Posted: 9/13/23 at 10:42am

Fully aware that she might not want to work on it, but why Aline Brosh McKenna isn't doing the book (after handling the film - and then working for four years on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) continues to confound me. The film script was great. She's got experience with musical-aligned writing. Plus the Chicago book was just...oof.

Videos