pixeltracker

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

RUkiddingme
#25DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:23am

I think the ad might sell tickets.  More than the score.  More than the show.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:25am

It’s very tacky. Makes me side eye the director and producers.

mshalo18
#27DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:27am

RUkiddingme said: "I think the ad might sell tickets. More than the score. More than the show."

The problem is, shows rely on word of mouth to a certain extent. This artwork (especially the font choice) makes the show look upbeat and whimsical, when in reality, it is relentlessly depressing. 

Probably a good thing it's a limited engagement.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#28DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:29am

Why wouldn't they start this fall?  Wouldn't they want to be open during the holidays?

OhHiii
#29DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:38am

RippedMan said: "It’s very tacky. Makes me side eye the director and producers."

Ya'll have no clue who makes the decisions on artwork. Producers have the ultimate say in how a show's artwork ends up, not the director, not the ad agency, not the cast, not the design team, not the writers.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#30DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:51am

Broadway Flash said: "Why wouldn't they start this fall? Wouldn't they want to be open during the holidays?"

Sure, Jan. Nothing says 'Happy Holidays' like watching Kelli O'Hara go through the DTs. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#31DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January

A dark show about alcoholism and lots of trauma and it starts in..... January.

K. 

bigbelterbaby
#32DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January

this is so exciting!! Congrats to everyone involved 🎉 this show represents the things we should be supporting on Broadway,

I hope it’s limited run is a success!

I know watching Kelli and Brian on Instagram this show is very physically demanding for them so being a limited run means they can give their all knowing rest is coming eventually. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.
Updated On: 9/13/23 at 11:51 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:52am

Broadway Flash said: "Why wouldn't they start this fall? Wouldn't they want to be open during the holidays?"

You’re answering your own question. This would never sell well during the holidays. The closer they open to Tony season is better. I think a spring opening would’ve made more sense. 

Updated On: 9/13/23 at 11:52 AM

JSquared2
#34DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:54am

Uhh...do you have any clue about the subject matter??

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:54am

OhHiii said: "RippedMan said: "It’s very tacky. Makes me side eye the director and producers."

Ya'll have no clue who makes the decisions on artwork. Producers have the ultimate say in how a show's artwork ends up, not the director, not the ad agency, not the cast, not the design team, not the writers.
"

K. But I did say producers. But thanks for your comment. 

JSquared2
#36DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 11:58am

Jonathan Cohen said: Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I can’t think of a musical this depressing with a successful open ended run. 

How about Les Miz, Miss Saigon, West Side Story, Next To Normal, Blood Brothers, Falsettoland, Parade, Spring Awakening, Cabaret...the list goes on and on.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:04pm

JSquared2 said: "Jonathan Cohen said:Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I can’t think of a musical this depressing with a successful open ended run.

How about Les Miz, Miss Saigon, West Side Story, Next To Normal, Blood Brothers, Falsettoland, Parade, Spring Awakening, Cabaret...the list goes on and on.
"

You really can’t compare this show to extremely commercial pop operas like Les Miz and Miss Saigon. 
The best comparisons are probably “Passion” and “Parade" - although both shows were not successful in their original runs. 

Updated On: 9/13/23 at 12:04 PM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#38DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:06pm

ljay889 said: "Broadway Flash said: "Why wouldn't they start this fall? Wouldn't they want to be open during the holidays?"

You’re answering your own question. This would never sell well during the holidays. The closer they open to Tony season is better. I think a spring opening would’ve made more sense.
"

Kelli has confirmed dates in The Hours at The Met in May, so I assume they’re just squeezing this in before that starts rehearsals and performances.  If this were to become a huge hit, I’d imagine they’ll extend and have Kelli either take a 3 week break, or maybe she’d withdraw from The Hours (unlikely).

Anyway, I loved this off-broadway and Kelli and Brian are giving career performances, so I can’t wait to see it again. Will definitely hope to see some beefed up orchestrations and some tweaks to the book

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."
Updated On: 9/13/23 at 12:06 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#39DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:14pm

I imagine if this does well enough, they can extend with Elena Shaddow and Kelli can return after her run at the Met in time for the Tonys. With a small cast and orchestra (and nothing else looking to open at the theatre), it’s not too far-fetched to extend through the Tonys.

I also think we’ll get a better, more accurate ad campaign once the show opens. Piazza and Bridges changed their key artwork into their runs. The font and colors for this are laughable to anyone who knows the subject matter. I bet they’re banking on selling some tickets based on 60s nostalgia and people thinking the song/standard of the same name is in the show. I thought the photo used for the Atlantic run was evocative and more appropriate.

Broadway Flash
#40DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:14pm

So only cheery and happy things can run during the holidays?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#41DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:30pm

Why not make it a Christmas show? Stick a Santa hat on her for the ads and something like “a toast to a happy new year!” 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#42DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Why not make it a Christmas show? Stick a Santa hat on her for the ads and something like “a toast to a happy new year!”"

Ha!

"The feel-bad musical event of the holiday season!"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#43DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:33pm

Broadway Flash said: "So only cheery and happy things can run during the holidays?"

You clearly know nothing about Broadway, the holidays, what people want in NYC over the holidays or really anything else at all. RIP to your racist and gross thread last week tho DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January

Updated On: 9/13/23 at 12:33 PM

bigbelterbaby
#44DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 12:57pm

Frank Sinatra recorded an upbeat version of the title song from the film. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#45DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 1:03pm

And at curtain call they can lead the audience in singing “Burning Down the House” so everyone leaves in a good mood!

Fordham2015
#46DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 1:30pm

Atlantic Theater Company members get early access to tickets through Thursday at 9:59 AM with promo code Atlantic

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#47DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 1:33pm

ljay889 said: "JSquared2 said: "Jonathan Cohen said:Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I can’t think of a musical this depressing with a successful open ended run.

"

You really can’t compare this show to extremely commercial pop operas like Les Miz and Miss Saigon.
The best comparisons are probably “Passion” and “Parade" - although both shows were not successful in their original runs.
"

Parade is definitely is that same level of a depressing ending, though at least the revival was scheduled as a limited time run.   

Parade, West Side Story, Cabaret, Miss Saigon... on a plot level they definitely have depressing endings. I think what I'm specifically responding to with Days of Wine and Roses, is with most of these examples the tragedy is caused by or pushed along by something external.

In Days of Wine and Roses, for that specific family, it was more normal living in our own heads and dealing with every day life without self destructing is too hard. I found that depressing in a different way. 

Broadway Flash
#48DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 1:39pm

That’s interesting because I suggested some weeks ago about next to normal that people wanted happy and cheery, not depression and manic, and people disagreed. So obviously this board of filled with different opinions. I think doing theatre of any sort during the holidays will sell. It’s not just families going to the theatre during Christmas time. 

Robbie516
#49DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January
Posted: 9/13/23 at 1:46pm

I wonder what’s going into the Golden after Shark because not only is it a limited till November but I thought this would have been a great musical for this small theatre 

Videos