pixeltracker

Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30

Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:13pm

So sad!

https://www.facebook.com/100083471375912/posts/pfbid0263N616gtrjQoMx2kVet3s1XXdnNpt4c6DDUeMEm5afzCbbR3n5tFYcuUZmvxDuP3l/?mibextid=K8Wfd2

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:16pm

A shame. Probably the first of several closing announcements coming out in the next few weeks.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:17pm

I feel like Boop is taking the Shoob. lol. 

Dylan Smith4
#4Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:19pm

They did announce though that it’s going to London in 2025 and the Tour is still set for late next year.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:25pm

They got a year and change out of it - longer than most of us were probably expecting or prognosticating. I personally did not think it was gonna be this long running musical spectacular, so announcing closing now seems to make sense to drum up sales through the end of the year

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jarethan
#6Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:29pm

I can't help thinking -- though I won't know -- that this will increase their losses.  Doubt they are going to be doing non-discounted ticket sales even on Christmas and Thanksgiving week.  It ain't Phantom.

Dylan Smith4
#7Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:29pm

The Holiday traffic might bump sales as it enters its final weeks. I'm glad though that it's going to London. I was telling all my friends over there about it this summer. London will be in for a great treat, especially with Casey's choreography! Just wonder who will be producing it. Cameron Mackintosh maybe?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:36pm

Yesterday I had lunch at Sardis and then saw the matinee of Some Like it Hot. Maybe both leave a little to be desired but the whole atmosphere and experience of both felt like such glamorous old New York Broadway. And we really don’t get it anymore in most new shows, only revivals. Enjoy it while it lasts!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 7:49pm

A quite decent run for this fun, old-school show. 

I do wonder how this will be received on tour and in London. 

Oh look, a bibu!

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#10Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 8:23pm

Sunset would be perfect at the Shubert 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#11Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 8:40pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Sunset would be perfect at the Shubert"

A minimalist Jamie Lloyd production in one of Broadway's biggest and most notable flagship houses...yeah, no.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 8:56pm

HERE WE ARE to the Shubert?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 9/28/23 at 08:56 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 9:03pm

I think Boop is pretty much lined up for the Shubert someone said. 

this will tour for years and then live on in the non eq dinner theater world. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#14Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 9:55pm

It had a nice run and will probably be a popular one for regional theatres (in states that would allow it 🙄)

I'm glad I saw it. I had a really good time. It was a fun throwback show. It's not something that's stuck with me much nor do I find myself listening to it or anything like that but I really enjoyed myself when I was there. And that Act 2 chase scene was just magnificent.

MemorableUserName
#15Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 10:20pm

http://broadwayjournal.com/shubert-produced-some-like-it-hot-to-close/

"Hot is burdened with formidable running costs — it needs to sell at least $900,000 of tickets a week to pay its bills, according to a 2021 recoupment chart reviewed by Broadway Journal. It met that threshold in just 14 of its 47 weeks at the Shubert Theatre."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/28/23 at 10:25pm

RippedMan said: "this will tour for years and then live on in the non eq dinner theater world."

Tough show for licensing because there are race-specific roles. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible but it does mean certain high schools & community groups don’t have the ability to cast it, unless they make an (inadvisable) version that could be done with a cast of any race.

I’m sad it’s closing. It has brought me great joy every time I’ve seen it, and there’s so much talent and good material.

After all that talk about big orchestras making a comeback, SLIH, BAD CIN, and CAMELOT have all failed. SWEENEY should recoup, I don’t know about PARADE. But it’s a continual cautionary tale for shows with big capitalizations and big weekly running costs.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#17Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 7:44am

Hopefully in the next 3 months I can get a chance to see Casey go on as Joe. Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30

BETTY22
#18Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 9:59am

Too bad.I really enjoyed this CRITICS PIX show. 

It's a hard show to license....maybe it will have more luck in London

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#19Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 10:21am

Boop plays to end of December in Chicago. I don't think the West End engagement would happen immediately after, but I don't know when Jerry Mitchell will take off to go work on DEVIL WEARS PRADA among all this either.

That being said, I think we may get a limited engagement before Boop comes in. Boop would also do really well in the Nederlander imo.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#20Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 11:15am

“Boop would also do really well in the Nederlander imo.”

we know nothing about the show, how do we know it would do well/fit? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 11:17am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "RippedMan said: "this will tour for years and then live on in the non eq dinner theater world."

Tough show for licensing because there are race-specific roles. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible but it does mean certain high schools & community groups don’t have the ability to cast it, unless they make an (inadvisable) version that could be done with a cast of any race.

I’m sad it’s closing. It has brought me great joy every time I’ve seen it, and there’s so much talent and good material.

After all that talk about big orchestras making a comeback, SLIH, BAD CIN, and CAMELOT have all failed. SWEENEY should recoup, I don’t know about PARADE. But it’s a continual cautionary tale for shows with big capitalizations and big weekly running costs.
"

Fair point, but Hairspray seems to have made it work.

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#22Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 12:34pm

I’ve seen this show twice with balcony seats from TDF and each time I thought the performances were solid, the music great, the dancing incredible all in a big house. I then saw Kimberly Akimbo, no dancing, decent songs, great performances all in a small house. I immediately felt connected something I didn’t feel at SLIH. Maybe that’s what’s missing?

Be Kind

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#23Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 1:54pm

Great shows close all the time, it doesnt necessarily mean that something is "missing" from the production. I think what's missing is general audience's appetites for theater that doesn't involve a mega star and/or meaningful IP. That combined with astronomical running costs (900K weekly breakeven) is what is closing the show.

Love SLIH and Kimberly Akimbo but they are entirely different beasts. Both excellent imo.

hearthemsing22
#24Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 2:02pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Great shows close all the time, it doesnt necessarily mean that something is "missing" from the production. I think what's missing is general audience's appetites for theater that doesn't involve a mega star and/or meaningful IP. That combined with astronomical running costs (900K weekly breakeven) is what is closing the show.

Love SLIH and Kimberly Akimbo but they are entirely different beasts. Both excellent imo.
"

This part. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#25Some Like it Hot to Close on December 30
Posted: 9/29/23 at 2:17pm

Some Like it Hot was an IP though. I definitely think some people thought “how do you improve upon the classic movie?” and stayed home too.

I heard it was wonderful but maybe this is not what audiences want to see. 

It feels like when Hollywood made the Hello Dolly movie. You have to take the temperature of your audience. The elderly rich New Yorker generation is dying, is it worth it to keep mounting the “Welcome to New York Big Band musical” still? 

Videos