News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’- Page 13

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#300Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 12:25am

blaxx said: "MemorableUserName said: "HenryTDobson said: "Besides Jordan, was anyone else actually there tonight or are we all writing off their performances based on two bootleg audio clips?"

There are a lot of reactions at the Reddit thread at the top of this page. They're all over the place. "Aaron is great!" "Aaron is terrible!" "This is Sutton's show!" "Sutton was...not good!" It's a real roller coaster ride.
"

No, most are terribly negative, certainly not mixed.
"

I read these nasty hate filled posts on reddit from these juveniles-teens to 20's. What's with the alpha-gen z generation and do we really care what they have to say? No-We don't! They are so obsessed with social media and it's so sad , laughable yet scary what they write?!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#301Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 12:29am

Joe Locke would be perfect as the baker in Into the Woods.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#302Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 12:37am

SweetLips22 said: "Joe Locke would be perfect as the baker in Into the Woods.

"

I recall the positive reviews and raves for Gaten but this Joe Locke guy is the talk of the town and a lot of buzz surrounding his performance. Have no idea who is? We are looking forward to seeing it w/ Aaron & Sutton in a couple of weeks!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#303Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:33am

I haven't posted here in years, but I just wanted to jump in to mention that Sondheim was by no means wedded to the keys in which his songs were sung by the original casts of the original productions. They were rarely the keys in which he'd originally written the songs, and he fully expected that his original keys would often — probably more often than not — be changed to work well for the voices of those who were cast.

Back in January 2004, around the time the Royal Opera did Sweeney, on the BBC there was a group interview on the subject of the differences between opera and musical theatre, inspired by the Sweeney production. Thomas Allen, who played Sweeney in the Royal Opera production, was among the participants. He said that he'd mentioned to Sondheim that some of the score lay a bit uncomfortably low for him, and he was shocked that Sondheim replied that if Allen had something earlier, keys would have been adjusted for him.

As noted by one of the earlier posters, it's really more of a bass-baritone role in the Cariou keys than a traditional Broadway baritone role. Opera baritones, like Allen, sometimes have a bit of trouble with some of the lower-lying sections.

Of course, Sondheim wrote the role with Cariou in mind, and probably had a fair idea of what the keys would be for him, even if he didn't always write the songs in those keys.

leefowler
#304Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 7:20am

It’s true Sondheim didn’t mind his songs being transposed. I asked him once why so many of his songs are in such difficult keys, and he said it was for the performers.

By the same token, I wouldn’t mind if Tveit had all of his songs transposed into tenor keys, if that’s where his voice lives. The problem is that it’s expensive to do that, since a major shift in keys means a re-orchestration is necessary.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#305Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 8:02am

“I recall the positive reviews and raves for Gaten but this Joe Locke guy is the talk of the town and a lot of buzz surrounding his performance. Have no idea who is? We are looking forward to seeing it w/ Aaron & Sutton in a couple of weeks!"

Joe Locke currently stars in the popular Netflix teen series HEARTSTOPPER, which is why he’s buzzing and why the teens are screaming whenever he walks on stage and exits. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#306Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 8:50am

I love this thread.

I've been posting here since 2003, and this classic discussion is precisely why most of us return: it's thoughtful, it's larded with specifics to back up general take-aways, and it's infused with instructive content, particularly about voices, keys, and composer/authorial intention or absence thereof. In only two days worth of posting, we have a range of responses, all detailing the challenges in the roles and how they're met. I read strong differences of opinion on casting, on negotiating the score, and on expectation. But I don't hear "hate" or anything close. Musical theater invites powerful responses; its practitioners, beloved yet necessarily bearing parsed performances, know how much audiences invest in their creative choices and their execution. I read, I learn, I decide if I need to return to this ravishing show or not. I'm more informed, indeed, better educated. I'm not always so damned positive, but this morning I salute BWW, and everyone who posts. This is why this site exists.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#307Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:58am

I’m simply just impressed that Foster was working on two leading roles at the same time and immediately leapt from doing one to the other without a break for herself. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#309Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:06am

For those who don't know, Joe Locke stars with Patti in an upcoming Marvel series for Disney Plus, which is also how she and Aubrey Plaza became friends.

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 10:06 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#310Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:32pm

TaffyDavenport said: "For those who don't know, Joe Locke stars with Patti in an upcoming Marvel series for Disney Plus, which is also how she and Aubrey Plaza became friends."

Regardless, Patti is mama.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#311Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 1:51pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Irecall the positive reviews and raves for Gaten but this Joe Locke guy is the talk of the town and alot of buzz surrounding his performance. Have no idea who is? We are looking forward to seeing it w/ Aaron & Sutton in a couple of weeks!"

Joe Locke currently stars in the popular Netflix teen series HEARTSTOPPER, which is why he’s buzzing and why the teens are screaming whenever he walks on stage and exits.

"

I know that now after a google search but still no interest in watching this. Anway, we'll see the show again in a couple of weeks and see him. Kids! 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#312Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:12pm

Robbie2 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Irecall the positive reviews and raves for Gaten but this Joe Locke guy is the talk of the town and alot of buzz surrounding his performance. Have no idea who is? We are looking forward to seeing it w/ Aaron & Sutton in a couple of weeks!"

"

I know that now after a google search but still no interest in watching this. Anway, we'll see the show again in a couple of weeks and see him. Kids!
"

Heartstopper is one of the most sweet, beautiful little shows. I’m 32 and probably cried for about 1 week after watching the first season. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#313Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 4:00pm

If only there was a Heartstopper when I was 18 then maybe my journey of diversity might have been a whole lot easier. This series is full of joy and hope and needs to be viewed by the young starting out and the oldies who say 'if only'.

Of the thousands who auditioned for the role of 'Charlie', Joe Locke was successful and this talent has now taken him to Broadway. No one who enjoyed Heartstopper was aware that he could sing.

I wish Joe Locke a long diverse successful career.

PS That stage door is going to be one crazy place now.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#314Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 5:12pm

They are both delivering the exact performances that I expected they’d deliver after their casting was announced. I don’t mean that in a bad way - I think they’re both good in the roles, and I expect they’ll settle in more as the run goes on.

Sutton Foster’s “Worst Pies In London” is definitely the low point of her performance. She uses a weird granny-like voice. It is perplexing. Fortunately, she gets better after that first song. Aaron Tveit is solid even if his voice isn’t 100% on par with what we’ve become accustomed to for this score.

The sexual tension and undertone that was so prevalent between Groban and Ashford is all but gone now. The dynamic between Sutton and Aaron is much more of a scheming lifelong friends vibe. It was different, but still effective.

I still REALLY dislike the choreography and movement and just the overall direction for this production. I also will never get over the fact that the 26 piece orchestra is not loud enough. It’s a damn shame.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/11/24 at 05:12 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#315Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 5:24pm

This production being overly choreographed is still dumbfounding. The worst part of this production

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#316Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/11/24 at 9:55pm

Many thoughts after seeing it this afternoon:

1) Foster was great. She does remind me of Ashford in that they both imbue a lot of physicality into their Lovetts and all of their performances. It’s the signature of both women even if their physicality itself differs.

2) Locke did a beautiful job. I found the audience’s introduction to him in Pirelli’s to be his weaker spot vocally, but he developed as he went and his Not While I’m Around was truly heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

3) Oh, Mr. Tveit. Yes, he’s beautiful, but that works for the character. What didn’t work for me was not his voice, although that definitely weak in the lower moments, but his actual performance. When he *SPOILERS* realizes that he killed his wife, there was no emotion. He didn’t emote anger, sadness or anything. He said his lines and moved on to the next song. I’m a fan of his, but he’s not Sweeney yet. I hope he gets there.

4) That ensemble! The power! Chills every time.

5) Many shows I’ve seen recently have had, what I assume, are sound issues. I don’t know if the actors’ mics are lowered in dialogue, but it’s hard to make out what they’re saying sometimes. Is this just me?

6) Turpin wasn’t intimidating enough for me. The others were very good.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#317Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/12/24 at 3:46pm

I echo others

I could not believe you finally mount a fully orchestrated Sweeney Todd and you make the sound of the orchestra SO small.

What happened? How did they not adjust this?

dan94
#318Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/12/24 at 4:48pm

The orchestra problem I find to be as much a Lacamoire problem as a sound design problem. I was at one of the final previews and found his work shockingly shoddy. There were multiple missed entrances/wrong notes/phasing issues both in the pit and on stage.

Went back 5 or so weeks later to see Nicholas Christopher and many, but not all, of those issues had been resolved in the meantime. I don't think Lacamoire was doing anything special at that point, but at least things were mostly accurate.

I went with a family member who wanted to see Groban this past December and Kristen Blodgette was on the podium. The difference was downright shocking. There was a motor propelling the performance forward, and it was her. Not a single entrance was missed, each performer was firmly supported, and every choice she made supported the dramatic flair of the score. The balance within the pit sounded totally different and she coaxed a much stronger sense of lyricism and dynamics from the orchestra.

I saw Lacamoire returned with the two new leads. At a certain point you have to respect the production for committing to the bit of hiring people who can be passable with time, but who are in no way the best person for the job.

OhHiii
#319Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/12/24 at 4:57pm

ACL2006 said: "This production being overly choreographed is still dumbfounding. The worst part of this production"

It speaks to Kail's distrust of the material. He brings in Hoggett's overly busy movement when we should be honed in like a laser on the words being spoken. The staging for Ladies And Their Sensitivities should be criminal, for instance. A song where the lyrics do all of the dramatic work, you bathe the ensemble women in neon pink and cyan while they do across the floors from stage right to left? Why? And Poor Thing loses all of it's menace to me. It's just a bizarre choice from start to finish.

MezzA101
#320Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/13/24 at 6:56am

Wayman_Wong said: "Aaron and Sutton are in ''Sweeney Todd' thru May 5.

Any word how long Joe will be playing Toby? Thanks!
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aidnNejUB4

Joe Locke talking "Sweeney." Says he's committed to 05/05.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#321Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/13/24 at 7:03am

Which seems like closing. But time will tell. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#322Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/13/24 at 1:24pm

I bought return tickets for next week really hoping a lot of the nonsense that Groban and Ashford brought to their roles was their choice, and we'd be done with them with the actors leaving. I guess it really is just the director not trusting the material. I guess I'll have to prepare for the worst.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#323Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/13/24 at 5:42pm

dramamama611 said: "Which seems like closing. But time will tell."

Unless they can find two other names to keep the show running through the summer.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#324Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 2/14/24 at 12:00am

Kristin blodgette is the best in the business. She’s done Bad Cinderella, Evita, Sunset Boulevard, among others.   Andrew Lloyd Webber always wants her conducting his shows, I wonder if she’ll do this new Sunset coming in this year. 

Videos