pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:30pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 1/28/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (22.1%), HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO (19.3%), HARMONY (18.5%), DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (15.3%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (15.2%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (10.6%), CHICAGO (10.3%), PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC (6.5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (5.6%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (5.4%), & JULIET (5.3%), ALADDIN (3.8%), GUTENBERG! THE MUSICAL! (3.5%), APPROPRIATE (3.3%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (3%), SIX (2.5%), SPAMALOT (2.1%), HADESTOWN (2%), HAMILTON (1.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (1.2%), THE LION KING (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: MJ THE MUSICAL (-3.3%), WICKED (-1.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:32pm

Decent uptick for a few shows.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:36pm

wunderbar conclusion over at the Jones, as previously reported. 

With the Ohio and Harmony upticks in their home stretches, this may bring up an interesting question: should more new musicals be limited runs in this day and age?

Oh look, a bibu!

lopside
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:41pm

The Merrily average has been trending down now ( yes I know, it's still 200+)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:42pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "With the Ohio and Harmony upticks in their home stretches, this may bring up an interesting question: should more new musicals be limited runs in this day and age?"

Not if musicals continue to cost $10-$25 million to capitalize and $600k+ a week to run. Unless the Broadway production and tour capitalization were the same (which is a savvy thing to do but rarely done due to various challenges).

I also don't think shows struggling on that level would benefit significantly from being announced as a 15-week limited run. If there's an option/intention to extend, you also kill group sales for the latter portion of the run by starting out limited (and I expect Harm and Ohio have a not-insignificant level of group sales biz).

chrishuyen
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 1:45pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "With the Ohio and Harmony upticks in their home stretches, this may bring up an interesting question: should more new musicals be limited runs in this day and age?"

I think it's more that those shows were fairly middling in terms of reviews/word of mouth, but still had a small group of core fans that really loved and cared about the show so want to show up for the last week to see it another time (which is fairly common for a lot of shows when they announce closing).  Maybe they would've seen better sales if it had initially been announced as a limited run because people would "have" to go sooner instead of assuming it would run, but I doubt it would've been that big of a difference.

Appropriate is doing great in terms of the numbers, so transferring to run longer seems like a good move but I wonder if it will have lost some of its shine by then.  Sweeney also seems to be doing well in terms of audience numbers, but I'm curious to see what kind of price point they'd be able to sustain without stars in the roles when it's not Broadway week.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 3:27pm

What a strong week for the plays! SO glad the non-profits are finally having some much-deserved post-COVID success! Hopefully Doubt, Mary Jane, Mother Play, and Uncle Vanya will continue this trend!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 3:40pm

Fairly good bump for some. Not the drop in average ticket prices though. The Broadway week promos definitely gave some shows a decent boost.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jarethan
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 3:53pm

It has been a long time since Hamilton was the top grossing show.  Good for them.

Ermengarde, your comments re short-runs was right on.  London seems to be able to do it frequently, but London does not have the same economics as Broadway, unfortunately.  In concept, it would be great if a musical that is likely to be more niche could schedule a limited engagement, but not going to happen.

Thinking about it, though, that is pretty much what Days of Wine and Roses is trying to do, and it doesn't seem to be working, unless the reviews help.  When it was announced, I assumed that someone with deep pockets just wanted to see it on Broadway, financials be damned.  

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 4:00pm

Jarethan said: "Thinking about it, though, that is pretty much what Days of Wine and Roses is trying to do, and it doesn't seem to be working, unless the reviews help. When it was announced, I assumed that someone with deep pockets just wanted to see it on Broadway, financials be damned."

It’s on Broadway to qualify for Tonys and garner interest in maybe a London transfer and future regional productions. There is almost no world where a 3-month run with no celebrities to make it a guaranteed sell-out would have turned a profit.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 4:32pm

What a success story Gutenburg was... I definitely didn't anticipate it being such a hit.

I feel like plays don't get talked about that much in these grosses posts but Appropriate is really doing well 

OhHiii
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 5:16pm

jkcohen626 said: "What a strong week for the plays! SO glad the non-profits are finally having some much-deserved post-COVID success! Hopefully Doubt, Mary Jane, Mother Play, and Uncle Vanya will continue this trend!"

Those you name all have bankable stars in their own right, so I feel like this Spring is going to see some strong play grosses that we haven't seen for a while. Appropriate is also likely going to be on the boards through the Tonys too if the rumors of a transfer to the Belasco are true.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 5:17pm

PURLIE just posted the highest numbers of its run in terms of capacity and gross (I believe).

Glad that the people who slept on it are now getting there for the last hurrah. I know they had the PBS filming last week and also Lin-Manuel’s talkback on Thursday really put butts in the seats 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 6:01pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "What a success story Gutenburg was... I definitely didn't anticipate it being such a hit.

I feel like plays don't get talked about that much in these grosses posts but Appropriate is really doing well
"

Gutenberg feels like it was tailor-made for the current climate. Small cast, small band, stars, relatively cheap physical production (although it was certainly more than I thought it would be). BUT, I definitely didn't expect it to do quite as well as it has! 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 7:18pm

I tired winning the lottery for Purlie. Thinking it would be easy , nope. Same as Appropriate. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 7:26pm

Will the St. James have a new tenant for spring?

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 9:00pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "What a success story Gutenburg was... I definitely didn't anticipate it being such a hit.

"

Well, if you are charging and getting over $300 for a majority of seats and $200+ for the rest of them, it’s hard not to do “really well”. 

quizking101
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 9:41pm

rosscoe(au) said: "I tired winning the lottery for Purlie. Thinking it would be easy , nope. Same as Appropriate."

It was easy forever - but now the run is ending and everyone’s hightailing it over. I didn’t see it as many times I did without a wheelbarrow full of luck

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 9:44pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Will the St. James have a new tenant for spring?"

Unless SPAMALOT takes an absolute nosedive, not a chance. A friend of mine is a producer on the show and they are making their nut with a little extra coin and they recently extended through July. They’re hoping for some key Tony noms so they can justify making the run open-ended. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/30/24 at 9:55pm

Matt Rogers said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "What a success story Gutenburg was... I definitely didn't anticipate it being such a hit.

"

Well, if you are charging and getting over $300 for a majority of seats and $200+ for the rest of them, it’s hard not to do “really well”.
"

It's very easy to do poorly by overcharging and very hard to be a show that is able to charge high prices. Of course I wish prices were lower, but you can't blame prices for a show doing well. It's the demand that allows a show to do well. Shows are only able to charge those prices when there are people willing to pay them.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/31/24 at 10:43am

ABN's multiple above-the-title headers make me chuckle, especially the "presented in association with and endorsed by Neil Diamond" part.

OhHiii
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/31/24 at 11:57am

quizking101 said: "CoffeeBreak said: "Will the St. James have a new tenant for spring?"

Unless SPAMALOT takes an absolute nosedive, not a chance. A friend of mine is a producer on the show and they are making their nut with a little extra coin and they recently extended through July. They’re hoping for some key Tony noms so they can justify making the run open-ended.
"

Well it won’t be open ended at the St James given Sunset Boulevard is starting there in November. Labor Day is probably most reasonable. And Spamalot is launching a tour in the fall aren’t they? 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:08pm

Why on earth would sunset want that theatre. Probably because they think they can sell out every night and make millions a week. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:57pm

Broadway Flash said: "Why on earth would sunset want that theatre. Probably because they think they can sell out every night and make millions a week."

It's produced by ATG, so it'll go into an ATG/Jujamcyn theatre. It has a big cast and big orchestra and needs a theatre big enough to accommodate that. With the Wilson and Hirschfeld unlikely to be open, that leaves the St. James. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/28/24
Posted: 1/31/24 at 1:06pm

Jamie Lloyd Company has parted ways with ATG, so not sure how that’ll effect the transfer. 

Playbill Link