News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews- Page 3

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 2:31am

….

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 3:20am

1. Staging is only a fraction of what directors do.

2. I couldn't disagree more with your Wine and Roses assessment.

3. Grey Gardens

4.Next to Normal

5. Lots of talented people haven't won major awards, in fact some not so talented people have. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 03:20 AM

leefowler
#52THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 8:27am

“Probably the fact that he's directing two other shows besides this one this spring. Kind of irresponsible really.”

It’s probably not his fault. Directors generally develop several projects at once, but have no control on when they get to production.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Owen22
#53THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:38am

Broadway Flash said: "When is Michael griefs direction actually good? Rent was 28 years ago folks. If/then was horrible, wine and roses the staging was terrible, war paint was clunky, Evan Hansen was just fine. Theres a reason he’s never won a Tony…"

Mostly in agreement, adding my two cents: RENT was not well directed either. It was (like most Greif shows) just not BADLY directed. Very workmanlike.  But never good, except Evan Hansen which was much better than "fine".  I expected more from him after and he didn't deliver. Days of Wine and Roses....meh....

I saw Next to Normal off-Bway and on and his version of the show was never as good as the show in my head as I listened to the cast recording (didn't cry once when I saw it, but found myself sobbing in the aisles of Target when plugged into my earphones). I actually fell completely in love with the show when I saw David Cromer's Chicago production (the Michael Longhurst London version was also much better than Grief's).

So I'm not expecting much from either of his spring time endeavors.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#54THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:55am

Re: Greif's stage directing

For those who have already seen both this & Hell's Kitchen:

How much stage time in this taken up with serving food and pouring water into glasses?

I almost thought Shoshana Bean was just trying to stay in practice in case she has to ever go back to waitressing.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#55THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:22am

inception said: "Re: Greif's stage directing

Forthose who have already seen both this & Hell's Kitchen:

How much stage time in this taken up with serving food and pouring water into glasses?

I almost thought Shoshana Bean was just trying to stay in practice in case she has to ever go back to waitressing.
"

Seeing what Shoshana Bean brought out for dinner in each scene was the most fascinating part of Hell's Kitchen IMO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#56THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:36am

Even in Wine and Roses, there’s a scene with a waitress pouring water while BDJ is talking to the doctor.  Her arm goes right in between them to grab the glass and pour the water.  What the hell??  Why is this here??

troynow
#57THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/12/24 at 8:19pm

I so agree. I saw THE WIZ in Chicago. And I must say the show it self has great moments but the overall direction of the whole piece lives down stage right. I mean I too, kept lean forward to see what the hell was happening over there. Reall, really poor direction. 

After seeing the Notebook last ngiht, I can't blame Micheal Grief I look at Schele Williams. 

Makes me no longer wonder why AIDA is not on the Broadway track. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#58THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 2:18pm

I saw last Sunday evening's performance and I truly thought it was magical. 

Let me first say that I did rush. Arrived at 10:20am and was #8 in line, but by 10:40am it was over 30 people long. The first seats they sell are front row and I must say that it was great view because of the "lake" and rocks added where the pit usually is, so you are not that close to the actors. Only when the staging requires them to be there right in front of you, But no stiff neck. You do get a mist on you from the splashing of lake water in Act 1 and the famous rain scene in Act 2, but by no means wet. It was beautiful.

I saw the Chicago production and fell in the love with the show. That cast has only grown talent wise and you can tell they have been working on the intensity of the main story. The show is at least 5 minutes shorter and changed a few short scenes into song (Middle Noah). Maryann Plunket I truly believe has a good chance of winning. Even when she is on the stage watching she is breaking your heart. Joy Woods is a standout and has the audience in the palm of her hands (and I do believe the Tony nominators). But even the ensemble, Andrea Burns and Yassmin Alers (Broadway vets), who I can see why took smaller roles to be in this piece of theatre, grabbed your heart. The music is gorgeous and the set is simple yet effective. I did love the lighting as well. 

The reason Schele Williams is the co-dirctor is for diversity. Direct from a cast member "Production wanted someone to connect on different levels with all cast members and to be a true team with Michael. This piece needs to represent everyone being seen and heard, it's a perfect match."

I am normally not a crier at shows, but I was in the front row with tears streaming down without me even knowing. You could hear audible gasps, sniffles and deep crying from the audience throughout the show. Fully standing ovation before the finale ended!  Not one cell phone went off (THANKFULLY)! That audience was into that story and music for 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

Give it a chance! - Thanks for reading!

Fordham2015
#59THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 3:32pm

My mom was in the middle of buying tickets for the June 19 matinee and that date suddenly disappeared from Telecharge. Any idea why?

Edit: Looks like a schedule change for Tony week. There's no show on Sunday the 16th, but they've added one Monday the 17th and removed the Wednesday

Updated On: 2/13/24 at 03:32 PM

Broadway Flash
#60THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:53pm

No need for them to take away Tony Sunday from the schedule.  They won’t be nominated. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#61THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 4:55pm

Broadway Flash said: "No need for them to take away Tony Sunday from the schedule. They won’t be nominated."

Why would you make that comment? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#62THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 5:06pm

Broadway Flash said: "No need for them to take away Tony Sunday from the schedule. They won’t be nominated."

It seems like you have some sort of personal vendetta against this show. All other reviews show it to be one of the more acclaimed productions of this season. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 2/13/24 at 05:06 PM

JSquared2
#63THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 5:08pm

HunterK said: "Broadway Flash said: "No need for them to take away Tony Sunday from the schedule. They won’t be nominated."

Why would you make that comment?
"

Why Do People Troll Online? | Psychology Today

Broadway Flash
#64THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 5:13pm

Acclaimed? According to who, theatre influencers?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Broadway Flash
#66THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 5:51pm

Wow they got some good reviews.  Surely they will get stiff competition from others. We’ll see 

PipingHotPiccolo
#67THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:34pm

Never saw the movie but the Chicago reviews, plus Joy Woods plus Ryan Vasquez (plus stalwart talent like Burns and Alers!) have convinced me to buy some tickets. I assume front mezz is fine for this piece?

And agreed- dont feed the trolls. Without sustenance, they disappear.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#68THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:44pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "I assume front mezz is fine for this piece?"

per Jordan’s comments, I would not go with the front mezz.

Jordan Catalano said: "Even the action on the far sides of the stage is set too close to the foot at times that could be blocked by heads. Maybe it was just the certain seat I was in (center front mezz) and the exact people in the few rows directly in front of me and it was more annoying to me than anyone else. *shrug*"

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PipingHotPiccolo
#69THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:50pm

thanks... ironically, I saw Life of Pi from front mezz there (its such a great theater) but that production was geared FOR the mezzanine. Not looking to break the bank here so might move to mid-mezz. Much appreciated.

hearthemsing22
#70THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 9:35am

binau said: "Maybe it's a joke to illustrate this very point butAaron and Tviet get an 'it sucked' based on 10 seconds of misleading bootlegs recordings and The Notebook get an 'it sucked' from people who don't appear to have seen it and barely any other info yet. LOL what is going on???"

People enjoy being cruel and believe their word is law without even seeing the show. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#71THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 9:48am

I saw this in Chicago. I thought it was a workmanlike and well sung. The story didn't move me as the characters felt generic. Splitting them in three didn't help. Poor boy loves rich girl and nothing else in their lives seems to matter. They never sing about jobs, aspirations, their kids, anything but their monotonous low stakes romance. I needed some fun side characters to wake things up. An Ado Annie or Nicely Nicely. But all we got was the stuffy mother.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 2/14/24 at 09:48 AM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#72THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 10:31am

Apart from being a fan from Ingrid, the biggest draw for me is Maryann Plunket. Her performance in the Richard Nelson plays at Public was mesmerizing and I revisit the PBS recordings of the Apple Family and Gabriel Family series from time to time. Truly magical. If her performance in this show is half as good, I would consider it 200 bucks well spent.

BETTY22
#73THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 12:32pm

What it sets out to accomplish - it does.

Professional and safe. Aimed about people who loved the film and book, rather than folks who love theatre. 

Has more craft than BBTF, but doesn't reach so far that it might upset or surprise the properties loyal fanbase. 

I think might be only commercial new musical hit of the season. Plus, tourists are going to enjoy it. 

Broadway Flash
#74THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
Posted: 2/14/24 at 3:43pm

That’s what’s wrong with broadway today. Catering to non theatre goers.  What happened to the days when Julie Taymor took The Lion King and turned it into REAL theatre. 

Latest Posts

Videos