News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE

Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 2/20/24 at 11:50am

Christian Borle, Krysta Rodriguez, & Ephraim Sykes Will Lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE (broadwayworld.com)

Casting has been announced for  The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts's Broadway Center Stage production of Bye Bye Birdie. The production will star two-time Tony Award® winner Christian Borle (Some Like It Hot, Something Rotten!) as Albert Peterson, Krysta Rodriguez (Into the Woods, Spring Awakening) as Rosie Alvarez, and Tony Award® nominee Ephraim Sykes (Ain’t Too Proud, NBC’s Hairspray Live!) as Conrad Birdie.

The production will be directed by Marc Bruni (Beautiful, the Kennedy Center’s Guys and Dolls, The Music Man, and How to Succeed…), with choreography by Denis Jones (Tootsie, The Kennedy Center’s Guys and Dolls). Tickets for Bye Bye Birdie go on sale to Kennedy Center Members tomorrow and to the public on February 22 via the Kennedy Center website or by calling 202-467-4600. Additional casting will be announced at a later date.

“After a four year postponement from March 2020, what a thrill it is to finally be producing the joyous Bye Bye Birdie for Broadway Center Stage! With Marc Bruni and Denis Jones—who did such great work with our Guys and Dolls in 2022—alongside this starry Broadway cast, the show could not be in the better hands,” said Jeffrey Finn, Broadway Center Stage Artistic Director and Kennedy Center Vice President and Executive Producer of Theater.

KevinKlawitter
#2Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 2/20/24 at 12:00pm

Okay, that's fantastic casting.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 2/20/24 at 1:42pm

Before I opened the post, I saw Sykes in the title and was intrigued the by idea of Wanda Sykes as Albert's mother. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 4/2/24 at 10:42am

Richard Kind, Jennifer Laura Thompson & More Join Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE (broadwayworld.com)

The full cast has been announced for the Broadway Center Stage production of Bye Bye Birdie at the Kennedy Center. Joining the previously announced Christian Borle as Albert Peterson, Krysta Rodriguez as Rosie Alvarez, and Ephraim Sykes as Conrad Birdie, are SAG Award winner Caroline Aaron (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) as Mae Peterson, Ashlyn Maddox (Parade) as Kim MacAfee, Tony Award® nominee Richard Kind (The Big Knife, The Producers) as Harry MacAfee, and Tony Award® nominee Jennifer Laura Thompson (Dear Evan Hansen, Nice Work If You Can Get It) as Doris MacAfee.

The cast will also include Allison BlackwellSarah ChiuDavid Aron DamaneJackera Davis as Ursula Merkle, Victor de Paula RochaMiguel Gil as Hugo Peabody, Jalen Michael JonesEvan KinnaneHenry Kirk as Randolph MacAfee, Kevin LigonKelly LomonteLuke Kolbe MannikusLinda MuglestonMegan Sikora as Gloria Rasputin, Maria Cristina Posada Slye, Renell Taylor, and Dori Waymer.

This new production, dedicated to the memory of original Bye Bye Birdie star and 2002 Kennedy Center Honoree Chita Rivera, will be directed by Marc Bruni(Beautiful; the Kennedy Center’s Guys and Dolls, The Music Man, and How to Succeed…), with choreography by Denis Jones (Tootsie, the Kennedy Center’s Guys and Dolls) and music direction by John Bell (Spamalot, Into the Woods).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 4/2/24 at 11:45am

Caroline Aaron and Richard Kind will be amazing in this.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 4/2/24 at 12:32pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Caroline Aaron and Richard Kind will be amazing in this."

Agreed. Kind is a very underrated performer, imo.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Globefan
#7Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 4/2/24 at 1:39pm

I hope this production transfers. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#8Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 4/2/24 at 7:44pm

Kad said: "Kind is a veryunderrated performer, imo."

He totally sold me on Bounce when I saw it at the Kennedy Center so many years ago. Under whatever name, it's always been Addison's show for me, and he was an amazing Addison.

KevinKlawitter
DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#10Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 4:10pm

I saw this Saturday night, and the production was absolutely delightful.  I have never seen a production of this show, and don't have any recollection of having seen the 1995 televised version with Vanessa Williams and Jason Alexander.

I don't think there were any weak links in the cast.  Krysta Rodriguez was wonderful as Rosie. Caroline Aaron (Mrs. Mae Peterson) and Richard Kind (Harry MacAfee) were absolutely perfect. I enjoyed Ashlyn Maddox as Kim MacAfee. I kind of expected Conrad Birdie to have a bigger role in this, but Ephraim Sykes fit the bill.

I loved the choreography as executed by the talented ensemble.  They were/it was energetic and fun.

I'm glad I bought a second ticket to see this the day tickets went on sale. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow night.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 5:26pm

Looking at the digital program for the show --

Robert Cary & Jonathan Tolins have adapted the book for this production. How does it compare to previous versions? Have they made any changes, textually or subtextually, related to Conrad's race? (this being smalltown America in the 50s...)

I think I caught a change of Kim's age in one of the song previews (21, instead of 15, which is smart and necessary).

Also looks like they do not include any of the "optional" licensed songs (the title song from the movie, Let's Settle Down, and A Mother Doesn't Matter Any More).

KevinKlawitter
QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#13Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 5:41pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Looking at the digital program for the show --

Robert Cary & Jonathan Tolins have adapted the book for this production. How does it compare to previous versions?Have they made any changes, textually or subtextually, related to Conrad's race? (this being smalltown America in the 50s...)

I think I caught a change of Kim's age in one of the song previews (21, instead of 15, which is smart and necessary).

Also looks like they do not include any of the "optional" licensed songs (the title song from the movie, Let's Settle Down, and A Mother Doesn't Matter Any More).
"

Changing Kim’s age to 21 from 15 or 16  is ridiculous and would completely change the show. It’s about “kids.”  Please tell me they haven’t tried to make this very 50s show woke.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 6:41pm

Making Kim 21 is ludicrous. The character is a high schooler. Is this true?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#15Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 7:02pm

QueenAlice said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Looking at the digital program for the show --

Robert Cary & Jonathan Tolins have adapted the book for this production. How does it compare to previous versions?Have they made any changes, textually or subtextually, related to Conrad's race? (this being smalltown America in the 50s...)

"

Changing Kim’s age to 21 from 15 or 16 is ridiculous and would completely change the show. It’s about “kids.” Please tell me they haven’t tried to make this very 50s show woke.
"

Seriously. I could understand 18 maybe but even that is pushing it. But if they're concerned about the creepy level than change some dialogue in that scene between her and Conrad. Kim has to be a teenager for the show to make sense.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 8:31pm

Or just do another show. Seriously, this is so dumb. Pre Covid I was ready to sell a kidney to go see Harvey do this but now you couldn’t pay me to head down to DC for it. 

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#17Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 8:51pm

Was Harvey doing book overhaul and Mae I hope?!?! I would sell a limb for that. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 8:54pm

The original casting announcement didn’t say anything about him doing anything to the book 

Playbill Article March 5th, 2020

Azúcar!
#19Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:20pm

There is NO change to Kim’s age.

Yessica Haircut
#20Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:31pm

Harvey Fierstein was going to work on/adapt the book for NBC's live production that never materialized (the one that Jennifer Lopez was supposed to star in).

https://playbill.com/article/harvey-fierstein-discusses-changes-for-nbcs-bye-bye-birdie-live

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 09:31 PM

LetTheSunshineIn2
#21Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/14/24 at 3:55am

Saw this tonight and  Kim is 16 in this production.  Not sure why some were stating that they had increased the character's age.

Globefan
#22Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/14/24 at 8:30am

I wonder if this production could transfer 

hearthemsing22
#23Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:23am

Globefan said: "I wonder if this production could transfer"

I don't see it transferring for a while if it does given how full the 24/25 season will be 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:32am

Based on the clips I’ve seen of this, it truly doesn’t lend itself to a life after this Kennedy Center staging. Aside from a handful of perfect casting the whole thing looks like a mess they put together over a weekend. As a studio recording, this makes sense. Staging it even in this half-assed presentation: no way, José. And poor Krysta having to sport that cheap synthetic wig and that poor actor playing Conrad Birdie should have worn his own clothes and not the costumes and wig they sourced for him. Yikes. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
Posted: 6/14/24 at 11:16am

I agree. I like a lot of people in the cast individually, and I love Birdie, but I feel like it's one of those shows that either needs to be embraced as full 50s cartoonish fun or modernized and hip with clear connections to the present. This seems like neither, and those pictures make it look very cheap. I mean, Krysta's wig?! No.

Videos