pixeltracker

Future of the Museum of Broadway

Future of the Museum of Broadway

NiceWork2
#1Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 12:39pm

Does anyone know anything more about if the Museum of Broadway is going to stick around?    I know they've significantly reduced their hours, especially in Jan and Feb.   Those are signs that a museum is not fiscally solvent.   I know a lot of people don't like it and say it's small, etc, but i haven't gone yet and don't want to wait too long if it's on shaky ground.       Is that Six exhibit running until April 28 big?   I go to a lot of shows and have been next to a lot of tourists of course talking about MJ or Wicked,etc or whatever, but i've never once overheard anyone saying anything about visiting the Museum of Broadway or considering, etc etc.   I thought Spiderman turn off the dark would be around forever, but that obviously didn't happen.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#2Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 12:47pm

since this museum has direct crossover appeal with Broadway audiences, it makes sense that Jan and Feb are very slow months. It is usually slow for Broadway then too. Let's see if things pick back up as we enter in the spring.

The main complaint I've heard is that it is far too expensive for what is in there and how big it is. Everyone I know who attended has said the same thing: it was fun, they had some unique displays, but I would not spend that kind of money on it again. 

That is...not great word of mouth. They need to figure out some unique, must-see installation in order to justify the price I think

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 1:30pm

A big issue is that, from what I have heard, there just isn't a lot of reason to return to it after you've gone once. Bigger museums have major exhibitions, rotate what's on display from large archives, have deeply significant pieces that people want to see over and over, or simply are just too large to see everything in one go. The Museum of Broadway just.. doesn't have those things. Who's going to pay the ticket price again just because they now have a few of the hats from Gutenberg?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 1:35pm

I went as I found a good discount. I enjoyed it more than I thought, but definitely a one and done. It tries to be current and largely succeeds. Where it falls flat, it that theater is a living organism, a museum is not. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NiceWork2
#5Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:14pm

Would anyone possibly recommend getting a membership here?   It runs about 150, but essentially it gives you unlimited access to the museum sunday through friday for an entire year.     that would be a good way to keep going back over and over, and one wouldn't have to feel rushed getting through in one day.   I know people say it's not big, or worth revisiting.  But it seems like a good spot to kill time and relax between shows and other things, use the bathroom, etc.   I'm military and there are a number of art museums that offer free admission around the country.   there are many that i've revisited many times, in spite of the fact that often it's the same stuff i'm seeing.   One sort of just feels more cultured and enlightened when you go through the MOMA or Met, etc.    i don't know if one gets the same feeling out of perusing through the Museum of broadway.   i assume that the museum will have some changing exhibitis as well.    or maybe it will close in December like everything else in broadway.   I would pay an arm and leg  if they made an exhibit on Spiderman and its history and Julie Taymor's role/firing/aftermath and about how Bono sat in the front row of the mezz often, etc

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:18pm

I went and had a good time. Got those $2 tickets (or whatever they were) so we got our moneys worth. I still don’t have any desire to go back - maybe 10 years from now if they’re still around and have changed everything. But the way it’s setup with themed rooms and such makes it difficult to imagine any “major” changes outside of a display of hats or some new costumes. 

So if you did spend $150 for unlimited access and you happen to be in the area and know you’re gonna think “I want to see a hat”, then yeah it might be worth it for you. 

chrishuyen
#7Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:37pm

If you think you'd be returning a lot between shows, then I think it could be worth it, because $150 is like what, 4 visits?

The difference between this and something like Moma/The Met is that they're actually showcasing the art pieces themselves, so you can approach them with a different level of appreciation each time and it can change depending on your mood, or maybe learn more about the process of how they were created or what the artist was going through when they made those pieces.  Museum of Broadway basically has more of themed rooms that are based on specific musicals, with some static text talking about the types of shows/trends of the time.  I think the text is really informative and can be interesting to go through, but if you keep returning, it's not like it's going to change, and because the rooms themselves are really just for aesthetics and aren't the actual art piece themselves, there's not really any more that I feel you could get from being in the room again, unless maybe you saw one of the shows and just want to revisit that section with that added context (but I personally wouldn't justify a yearly membership on that alone).

Of course, the new costumes and props can be interesting to see, and might be good for people that have a membership, but I wouldn't pay full price for one or two new costumes each time (and I actually thought the costumes exhibit that popped up during the pandemic was a little more interesting).  The museum hosting conversations and events is definitely the right way to go, but I almost wish those would be ticketed separately because the cost of the museum itself is rather steep, and I really don't see value in doing the walkthrough again.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#8Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:42pm

I don't know if anyone has been to the National Comedy Center in Jamestown, NY (home of Lucille Ball) but I wish the Museum of Broadway took some cues from that museum. It is highly personalized and interactive based on your comedic preferences along with great artifacts. Each visit could be a different type of experience to some extent. I enjoyed the Museum of Broadway for the most part but have no interest in going a second time.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#9Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:47pm

I still haven’t gone to the museum mainly because I don’t have an urge to go. 
I know it’s small but if they had a cafe or small restaurant with singing waiters it may help with revenue and people traffic.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#10Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:58pm

Its is more akin to the Times Square tourist trap model of Madame Tussaud's or Spyscape than actual New York museums showcasing art and knowledge, and this is what's such a bummer. Even or especially if it closes fast, how long does this delay our ever getting a real performing arts museum? So many dreams of what that could look like. For now, folks who want that are better off going to the Lincoln Center library when they have an exhibit on. 

Updated On: 2/28/24 at 02:58 PM

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#11Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 4:00pm

Scarywarhol said: "Its is more akin to the Times Square tourist trap model of Madame Tussaud's or Spyscape than actual New York museums showcasing art and knowledge, and this is what's such a bummer. Even or especially if it closes fast, how long does this delay our ever getting a real performing arts museum? So many dreams of what that could look like. For now, folks who want that are better off going to the Lincoln Center library when they have an exhibit on."

100% agree with this. As a fan of museums and Broadway, obviously I hope the museum does well. But this is one of the most disappointing museums I've ever been to. I'm far from an expert on Broadway but I learned very little from my visit, and I come to museums to learn! My friend pointed out that all the captions and history bits seemed like they were written by AI or not actually written thinking people would read them.

It was cool to see the artifacts but it felt more like a photo op than a museum, akin to the "Museums" of Illusion and Ice Cream. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 4:04pm

Did these people learn nothing from the Hamilton exhibit? A for profit theatre “museum” will not work.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#13Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:01pm

I went last year and really enjoyed it, although I did get a half off ticket thanks to the Broadway Week promo. Hoping to go back this summer with my friend who has never been and to check out some of the new stuff they've put out since. Great place in my opinion, although I do feel it's a tad overpriced.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

BETTY22
#14Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:11pm

I loved it - but I love theatre.

Was smart and fun. Wishing it the best.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:16pm

I only ever went to the MoB once and that was for a talkback for Purlie Victorious, which was in an oddly cramped side room off the gift shop.

As a frequent theatregoer, I found the price of the museum to be the extremely off putting reason why I haven't gone (especially given that the exhibits I've seen in pictures don't excite me much). For the same price, I could in many cases grab a rush or a lotto ticket and go see an actual live show and have fun there.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

PipingHotPiccolo
#16Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:35pm

in my mind, a museum is the opposite of theater. its wonderful to showcase history, beauty, information, things to quietly admire--but its the antithesis of LIVE, NOW, HAPPENING. And thats OK when it comes to ancient Italian sculpture or the history of war, or even historical film/tv, but for theater? It inherently doesnt make much sense to me.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#17Future of the Museum of Broadway
Posted: 2/28/24 at 7:59pm

I enjoyed the museum. It was fun sharing with my husband experiences that I had before he and I met and I started dragging him kicking and screaming into an appreciation for theater. And I enjoyed reliving the memories of shows I hadn’t thought about for a very long time. However, I couldn’t quite get my head around the fact that some shows were given an entire room (of sometimes uninteresting material) and other shows were given a single photo on a wall of shows from a certain time period. There didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for those choices.  My husband kept telling me that the producers of show X paid more for the space but I chose, probably naively, to be less cynical. I assumed that this is an ongoing project and more will be added over time, both for the underrepresented older shows and those on the horizon. The problem, as many have said here, is that the experience was uber-expensive. I doubt we’ll ever go back. They need to rethink the price of entry if they’re hoping for repeat visitors.  Charge me a reasonable amount (roughly a third of the current rate) and I’ll go back twice a year to see what’s updated and new.