pixeltracker

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews- Page 3

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#50THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 12:36pm

dramamama611 said: "Reviews aren't supposed to worry about what the masses might like, are they?"

I think it's totally valid if a critic says something along the lines of "I hated this but mass audiences who like spectacle and don't see 20 Broadway shows in the month of April might find more to enjoy in it."

At the end of the day, criticism is just one person's opinion and critics are rarely saying "do not buy a ticket to this."

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#51THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 12:58pm

I loved this show personally but can absolutely understand why others don't.

I just always find it hilarious how some people's reactions and feelings toward a show they don't like range from 0 to "these people are committing crimes against humanity and I will not stand for it."

Anyway, looking forward to the cast album and seeing it again.

TimeToDither Profile Photo
TimeToDither
#52THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 1:02pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Based on the rumblings out of Cambridge, it sounds like Chavkin's Gatsby leans more heavilyinto Nick's queerness, gives Myrtle a real arc, AND there's no credited Projection Designer.Which may address certain complaints about the Bruni Gatsby :)"

I can’t wait to see that version.

Unless this whole thing is some kind of commentary on the state of musical theatre in the 21st century which would make it sort of … genius?

BroadwayPatriot
#54THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 3:48pm

The main criticism is they didn’t feel the emotional aspect and get the message they got from the book ;  almost as if they forgot they were reviewing a commercial Broadway musical in  which the production has all the right elements:  good songs and orchestrations, costumes, sets and lighting - most importantly- it holds peoples attention , this was social commentary from a long time ago , not 2024, it makes sense why the writers of the adaption focused more on certain elements than the scholarly book analysis . It’s a good time at the theate

KevinKlawitter
#55THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 3:57pm

BroadwayPatriot said: "The main criticism is they didn’t feel the emotional aspect and get the message they got from the book ;almost as if they forgot they were reviewing a commercial Broadway musical inwhich the production has all the right elements:good songs and orchestrations, costumes, sets and lighting - most importantly- it holds peoples attention , this was social commentary from a long time ago , not 2024, it makes sense why the writers of the adaption focused more on certain elements than the scholarly book analysis . It’s a good time at the theate"

Commercial Broadway musicals can't have emotional elements?

And most of the critics did notice - and even praise the "right elements" you mentioned. That's why it's been summarized as "style over substance". It's also telling that among the "right elements" you list you refer to superficial and technical aspects but don't mention anything about the characters or performances

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#56THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/26/24 at 10:44pm

Maybe it’s time to give up on GATSBY…for anything but the 1925 classic novel it is.

3 movie adaptations: all critical bombs.

2 Dueling musicals…this and the Florence and the Machine take.

1 Opera that’s basically never been heard from again.

I’m not saying that certain elements didn’t work in previous attempts. I actually like parts of the last two film versions. Maybe it’s possible that Fitzgerald wrote a novel that could never successfully leave the printed page. I’m going to read the book again this weekend…

Updated On: 4/26/24 at 10:44 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#57THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/27/24 at 11:40am

None of the high-profile adaptations have had a really smart, creative, clear sensibility worthy of the material.

I will say wait a month. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#58THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/27/24 at 11:45am

Elevator Repair Service's Gatz remains one of the greatest pieces of theater I have ever seen, but it was the entire novel word-for-word. But still immensely compelling.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#59THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/27/24 at 11:52am

I so wish I could have seen "Gatz". Hopefully that company takes the same approach using Patti LuPone's autobiography, one day.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#60THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/27/24 at 1:50pm

Who would you cast?

NatalieJG Profile Photo
NatalieJG
#61THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/27/24 at 1:59pm

A literary icon on Broadway! LOVE IT!!!

Writer Director Educator

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#62THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 4:57pm

Loving their b-roll.  I also really liked the video they released of the ensemble in the theatre, and in the lobby going outside. It reminded me of the I love ny commercials 

CJRochester
#63THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 5:45pm

Just look a those sets. WOW! 

FIRST LOOK: The Great Gatsby Musical arrives on Broadway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nNL8v2lr3E

chrishuyen
#64THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:01pm

Looks like Kayla Pecchioni is on as Daisy today

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#65THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:19pm

Ryah Nixon on for Myrtle as well, along with four swings.

Bug must’ve hit this company. 

Oh look, a bibu!

singer234
#66THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:30pm

Four swings in total, or 4 counting the two who are on for Kayla and Ryahs’ tracks tonight?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#67THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:37pm

singer234 said: "Four swings in total, or 4 counting the two who are on for Kayla and Ryahs’ tracks tonight?"

Might be four counting Kayla and Ryah’s normal tracks. I was just passing by the Broadway and the At This Performance board caught my eye. Not seeing this one as of right now. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:58pm

singer234 said: "Four swings in total, or 4 counting the two who are on for Kayla and Ryahs’ tracks tonight?"

Carissa Gaughran is split-tracking two tracks tonight (WELCOME TO BROADWAY!!). Jasmine Pearl Villaroel, Sam Pollino & Alex Prakken are all on. Ryan is on as Myrtle Wilson while Kayla is on as Daisy.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 4/29/24 at 08:58 PM

BwayinVan
#69THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/2/24 at 10:21pm

Was at the matinee today and enjoyed it much more that I thought I would. Is it a great show? No but it is a good time at the theatre. Yes Jeremy Jordan’s accent in it is a little weird but his voice sounds like butter so that made up for it. The dance numbers are great and the ensemble is working their butts off. It’s a spectacle  and because of that I think it will have a decent run for a while. Eva sounds really good but the standout for me was Sam Pauly. She had the sass and pipes that I remember from seeing her in Six but I felt her character had a bit more depth than some of the others but maybe that was just her. 

Being a matinee I wasn’t holding my breath at the stage door but I think in all the years that I’ve been coming to NY this was the most pleasant experience. Jeremy, Eva, Sam, Noah and Eric Anderson all came out (fairly quickly too) and the line was pretty chill. I haven’t had much success at stage doors after matinees so this was a pleasant surprise. 

berniesb!tch
#70THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/2/24 at 11:39pm

Saw this on Monday. It wasn’t awful, but it was extremely pedestrian from the direction to the book and lyrics. 

I missed Eva, but her understudy (and I hate to say this) was really not good. Would like to go back to see Eva. I thought Samantha Pauly was great. 

The biggest problem for me was that Noah Ricketts was SO much more charismatic and interesting than Jeremy Jordan. I read the book in high-school and don’t remember it super well, but kept feeling as though Gatsby should be the one commanding my attention. Maybe this isn’t in line with the book/story, but it threw things off for me.  I didn’t think Jeremy was bad by any means, but Noah stole the show for me. He has such a natural charming quality. Really hope he has a great future!! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#71THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/3/24 at 5:48pm

The cast will perform from the show on Good Morning America this Monday. 

Oh look, a bibu!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#72THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 10:23am

Wow. This was…not good. I read reviews and listen to what people say on here, but I go in knowing that my opinion doesn’t always align with those. Unfortunately this was one of those moments where everyone ragging on it is right. The songs after bad, the character/story choices were incomprehensible, and the tone shifts were wild.

We went from a cartoonish ‘I’m going to throw myself behind a fence to avoid Daisy because I’m insecure” Gatsby to a “Tom, your wife is leaving you for me” Gatsby with bravado without any development to get him there. Nick’s comment that Gatsby is worth more than any of them? Why? We don’t see anything in his character that makes him seem like a decent or sympathetic character. It’s blackmail—>slapshtick—>tough guy—>the end. And Daisy? She was too over-the-top in love with him to have her decision at the end make any sense. Their voices are obviously great, but now I’m not so sure about their acting.

The songs were genuinely not good, and the ensemble was very quiet when they sang as a group. As much money as they spent on this thing, and it was clearly a lot, it all felt cruise ship-like. The whole thing was a miss, and it reminded me of a scene in the book. Nick notices with astonishment that Gatsby has real books in his library when everyone else has fake ones. He’s astonished because nobody in their world is real and has actual substance. This show was the library of everyone else - pretty from the outside but nothing of substance inside. It’s everything Nick and Gatsby wouldn’t like.

Updated On: 5/5/24 at 10:23 AM

BETTY22
#73THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 11:25am

I just dont the buzz around Jeremy J. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#74THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 11:52am

You know I've been thinking this same thing lately!  I've seen a number of the trailers they production is putting out, and it keeps bringing my opinion of him down. (and does no favors for my memory of the show, either - hey, look a ballad, go stand downstage center and don't move!)  Yes, his voice is beautiful...but damn, he's pretty boring.  His facial expression is either boyish grin or that of physical pain.  

I don't think Eva fares well in vids either ....zzzzzzzz.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.