News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:06pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/7/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (17.9%), HOME (13.1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (6.7%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (6.6%), ILLINOISE (5.9%), THE WHO'S TOMMY (4.5%), OH, MARY! (4.2%), THE NOTEBOOK (4%), MJ THE MUSICAL (3.9%), THE WIZ (3%), ALADDIN (2.3%), THE LION KING (1.1%), STEREOPHONIC (0.7%), SIX (0.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.4%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (0.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.3%), HAMILTON (0.1%), WICKED (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SUFFS (-5%), CHICAGO (-1.8%), & JULIET (-1%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-0.3%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-0.2%), HADESTOWN (-0.1%), THE OUTSIDERS (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:09pm

July 4th week taking its toll on Broadway yet again. The numbers should creep back up in the coming weeks, though Merrily’s closing may balance things out a bit. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:21pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "July 4th week taking its toll on Broadway yet again. The numbers should creep back up in the coming weeks, thoughMerrily’s closing may balance things out a bit."

These grosses aren't that bad considering the holiday weekend. Three shows closed the week prior, too. Have to wonder with the heat wave if locals not going down to a beach opted to see a show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:23pm

I was thinking the same thing- for a holiday week, this is still pretty good.

Except for Home. Even with 4 performances, yikes.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:29pm

Three less shows played last week compared to the same week last year, and still both attendance figures and cumulative gross are higher now. 

Then again, Merrily wasn’t playing this time in 2023, so take this with a grain of salt. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:34pm

Not a bad week considering the holiday. Merrily's numbers are still insane to look at even after first hearing the news yesterday.

Water For Elephants seems to be losing some steam.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:42pm

Was Eddie out last week? Why is Cabarets drop so significant?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 1:59pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Was Eddie out last week? Why is Cabarets drop so significant?"

Eddie didn’t perform his standard Monday show (7/1) or the Sunday replacement for the 4th (7/7).

Also, why did Home only have 4 performances?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 2:21pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Three less shows played last weekcompared to the same week last year, and still both attendance figures and cumulative gross are higher now.

Then again,Merrilywasn’t playing this time in 2023, so take this with a grain of salt.
"

Remove Merrily and you're left with 4 shows less than this time last year and still a higher overall gross and attendance.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 3:12pm

Why did HOME only play 4 shows last week? Was that always planned?

W4E needs to get its gross back above a million or else it's gone.

Really good start for OH, MARY! with just 6 preview performances.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 4:30pm

If Water for Elephants doesn't pick it up, they might not even bother replacing Grant.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 5:06pm

I heard &juliet and Suffs are eyeing a January closing. I feel like elephants and notebook could run through the year and close in January too. Good for great gatsby, a hit is a hit.

BoringBoredBoard40
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 5:27pm

Broadway Flash said: "I heard &juliet and Suffs are eyeing a January closing. I feel like elephants and notebook could run through the year and close in January too. Good for great gatsby, a hit is a hit."

&Juliet isn't going anywhere

god you are annoying 

ijest22
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:45pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Broadway Flash said: "I heard &juliet and Suffs are eyeing a January closing. I feel like elephants and notebook could run through the year and close in January too. Good for great gatsby, a hit is a hit."

&Juliet isn't going anywhere

god you are annoying
"

Yes, but… Gatsby really seems to be a financial hit with more than one million every week. 

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 07:45 PM

BAREly_Wicked Profile Photo
BAREly_Wicked
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:49pm

Merrily’s top ticket states $949, but we know some were going for $1299 in the final week. Anyone have insight on the discrepancy? 

Ready for some stunt casting for &Juliet. I truly think this show would work wonderfully with some 90s or 00s pop stars.

Amy Archer
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 7:56pm

The most reliable figure to look at to judge a show's financial health is the average ticket price. A show that still has an ATP in the $100s, even low $100s, still has life left in it. The musicals that are playing in the 1000-seat playhouses are not really in trouble if they are still commanding a figure in that range. Yes, they have discounts in the market, but they are still commanding enough full price business to keep that average high. They may no longer cross the $1 million mark reliably every week, but several of them are budgeted so that they can run quite successfully in the $900K and $800K range. The shows that have ATPs in the $80 range or lower, especially some of the big shows in big musical theatres, are surviving on discounts and are much more in danger of potentially closing. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:39pm

BAREly_Wicked said:

"Merrily’s top ticket states $949, but we know some were going for $1299 in the final week. Anyone have insight on the discrepancy?"

Top price was actually $1499.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:44pm

Ohhhh okay, we will see who’s annoying very soon. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:49pm

Broadway Flash said: "Ohhhh okay, we will see who’s annoying very soon."

Yeah, and it will still be YOU!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:55pm

Broadway Flash said: "Ohhhh okay, we will see who’s annoying very soon."

Do we get to vote? The more I think of it we actually don't need to vote. I think the same person will win with a landslide.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:58pm

Amy Archer said: "The most reliable figure to look at to judge a show's financial health is the average ticket price. A show that still has an ATP in the $100s, even low $100s, still has life left in it. The musicals that are playing in the 1000-seat playhouses are not really in trouble if they are still commanding a figure in that range. Yes, they have discounts in the market, but they are still commanding enough full price business to keep that average high. They may no longercross the $1 million mark reliably every week, but several of them are budgeted so that they can run quite successfully in the $900K and $800K range. The shows that have ATPs in the $80 range or lower, especially some of the big shows in big musical theatres, are surviving on discounts and are much more in danger of potentially closing."

I wish they would bring back the gross potential. That was always such a fascinating number.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 9:42pm

I think with dynamic pricing more in practice nowadays it's harder to calculate gross potential since it can change week to week by increasing/decreasing premium ticket prices.

Nowadays I look at average ticket price and % capacity.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:29pm

The gross potential is very much known on the producer and landlord's side even with variable pricing.

It was a deliberate choice by the League to omit that information from weekly reports (one of many poor decisions by the League surrounding and following the shutdown).

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 10:29 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:41pm

Broadway Flash said: "I heard &juliet and Suffs are eyeing a January closing. I feel like elephants and notebook could run through the year and close in January too. Good for great gatsby, a hit is a hit."

You are certainly entitled to "feel like" some shows will close in January, but bruh absolutely no one hear believes you "heard" anything about &Juliet or Suffs. And if they both do close in January (possible, sure) it will still not make anyone retroactively think you have some inside scoop, trust.

bear88
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
Posted: 7/10/24 at 3:47am

TaffyDavenport said: "BAREly_Wicked said:

"Merrily’s top ticket states $949, but we know some were going for $1299 in the final week. Anyone have insight on the discrepancy?"

Top price was actually$1499.
"

We saw the various asking prices on the website (or at the box office) but do we have any idea if anyone actually paid $1,299 or $1,499? The results suggest no, that the top price they actually got was $949 (someone could have paid more from a scalper but I'm not counting that). The information could be wrong, of course, but I wonder if anyone actually paid more than a grand.

Videos