News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT MOVIE

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#0RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 1:56pm

Anyone know when we can expect a movie soundtrack?

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#1re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:04pm

no clue....hopefully before the movie though!!

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#2re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:05pm

Will there be a soundtrack for sure? What with it being mostly the OBC? I really want one.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#3re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:14pm

There most definitely will be one. I would assume it will be released before the movie is, but there has been no word of a date yet. Well, not as far as I know.
Updated On: 6/20/05 at 07:14 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:16pm

Yes - there will be a soundtrack. As soon as there is info, it will be posted on my website:

http://www.moviemusicals.net

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#5re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:47pm

Can't wait for this soundtrack !

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#6re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/20/05 at 8:10pm

anyone else find it hard to call it a soundtrack? My first instinct is to yell IT'S CAST RECORDING!! haha, but nope this is really going to be a RENT soundtrack. Just really odd to say it.

Can't wait for it though! Anything Anthony is a must have.

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

courtneyanne Profile Photo
courtneyanne
#7re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 5:45pm

:)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 5:48pm

It can be called a soundtrack - or movie cast album.

Movie cast album is what it really is. Because its the cast of the movie who record the songs sung in the movie. A soundtrack is basically just a bunch of songs heard in a movie thrown together on a CD.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:00pm

My question would be, will there be a new song written for the musical, as has been the case with a number of movie musicals, to make it qualify for a "Best Song" Academy Award? It's not the case with all musicals but has been done for some. And if there is a new song, who will write it?

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

XOsweet_dancerOX Profile Photo
XOsweet_dancerOX
#10re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:01pm

it is a soundtrack. Soundtracks are from movies and this is a movie even though it contains vocals.sorry just had to put my 2 cents worth in... ^_^

Kristin Chenoweth could barely control a Great Dane she trotted onto the stage. "Great, they gave me a dog that weighs five times what I do", she quipped. For the record, she weighs 93 pounds, and has a Maltese.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#11re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:56pm

Well whatever the hell it's called, I can't wait for it to come out. Alot of the times, soundtracks are released before the movie for marketing, advertising etc so hopefully they'll do the same with RENT and we won't have to wait til November. *crosses fingers*

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: RENT MOVIE
Posted: 6/21/05 at 7:33pm

pab - I ***HIGHLY*** doubt it. 'Rent' isn't being made to win Oscars. It's being made to preserve Jonathan Larson's story and a major contemporary hit musical onto film.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#13New Song for Movie!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 8:09pm

pab, that was my question also, months ago. i left it on the Anthony Rapp board, but he never answered it.

i've heard the workshop recording of rent which has tons of extra music and tunes not in the show anymore.

one song, "for someone cool, you're a fool" i could easily imagine as a new tune for the movie version.

as likely as they won't put any "new" old selections into the film: here's to hoping!

adam
Updated On: 6/21/05 at 08:09 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14New Song for Movie!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 8:11pm

I. Can't. Wait.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#15New Song for Movie!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 10:20pm

AAAH I know, who cannot get enough of SOL on the trailer!!!

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#16New Song for Movie!
Posted: 6/22/05 at 12:38am

I wonder when it will be available thru Amazon's pre-order thing. So exited!

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#17Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 12:47am

Anyone know if they kept the show set in 1995 or "updated" it to 2005? I read that they were adding the subject of gay marriage, so I wondered if the date of the show had changed.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#18Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 2:18am

As far as I know, the show has kept its original plot date and hasn't been changed to 2005. Don't quote me on that though, but I'm pretty sure its still set in the early 90s. Or it might even be 80s....I remember reading about it somewhere......

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#19Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:48am

I belive it's supposed to envoke the late 80's early 90's period

I'm buying it the SECOND the soundtrack comes out!!!!!!!

Snaps
#20Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:59am

While I'd love to say that I'm going to wait until after I see the movie to buy the soundtrack [you're right; it does sound weird,] just so that I don't spoil anything, I don't think I have that kind of willpower.

"Bangarang, Rufio!" --Hook

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#21Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:11am

Most movies release a soundtrack (and I just taught myself not to sang that word) up to a month ahead of the movie's due date. Possibly an October release?

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#22Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:17am

I wish I had that willpower, Snaps.

I believe I used the term "f*cking brilliant" to describe how it sounded. I'm so exciiiiiiiiiiiited.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Snaps
#23Rent setting
Posted: 6/22/05 at 9:40am

Maybe, just to see how long I can hold out, I'll pick the soundtrack up when it gets released and then not listen to it until I see the movie. Ouch.

Emcee, I have a feeling that "f*cking brilliant" is going to sum it up.

"Bangarang, Rufio!" --Hook

Videos