religious broadway songs

BroadwayDreams2 Profile Photo
BroadwayDreams2
#0religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:56pm

I am a 17 year old soprano. I have been asked to sing in my church. Are there any Broadway songs I can sing that have a religious or could be considered religious topic? (EX: You'll Never Walk Alone)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:01pm

Anything from GODSPELL.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Elizabeth_DeBris
#3re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:10pm

Climb Ev'ry Mountain has a spiritual feel. No One is Alone has basically the same message as You'll Never Walk Alone, if you want to use that...

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#4re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:10pm

You Can't Get to Heaven~THE LIFE

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#5re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:11pm

Close Every Door from Joseph. Anything from Joseph. Anything other than that might be alittle cheesy though...

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

#6re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:12pm

There are many songs that can be used, just change the pronoun to "You" or "Him", meaning God or Jesus.

I actually did a solo version of "For Good" switching a few words around, like because I Know you, etc.

We in the church singin biz often joke that you can take practically any song, specially love songs and but Lord, or Him in place of Her or you...and even You works, depending on lyrics.

Strictly speaking, besides Godspell, there's JCSuperstar...

Sabbath Prayer from Fiddler

Bring Him Home from Les Miz works

Circle of Life from Lion King

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#7re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 2:14pm

I Believe, from Altar Boyz is a VERY good song about faith and believing in God or even other people.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#8re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 2:22pm

The Chanukah Song -- Caroline or Change re: religious broadway songs
Updated On: 6/27/05 at 02:22 PM

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#9re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 2:44pm

Good job, Mol. I Believe is a GORGEOUS song.

heart.
mel

Elizabeth_DeBris
#10re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 2:48pm

I Believe is wonderful, but sheet music isn't available, and you'd probably have to transpose it into a different key, for you to sing it comfortably.

Hehe. Not intending to burst any bubbles, my fellow 'holicz, but it isn't really the best choice for a soprano. re: religious broadway songs

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#11re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 2:50pm

the Prayer from Titanic but it isn't veyr long and it really reffers to being on a boat

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#12re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:01pm

Christmas lullaby from songs for a new world...one of the most beautiful songs on the songs for a new world cd..

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#13re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:15pm

Oh, I forgot about the whole soprano thing. Sorry!

heart.
mel

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#14re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:42pm

EDIT.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."
Updated On: 6/27/05 at 03:42 PM

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#15re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 4:39pm

yeah forgot about the soprano thing...but im a soprano and i can sing it pretty well....sometimes you can ask a writer for sheet music to a song before its been released...i know they didn that with some wicked.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#16re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 5:43pm

Out of context of the show, the song "You Walk With Me" from THE FULL MONTY actually could be perceived as a religious song. You just may not want to mention where the songs comes from LOL. I actually sang that as a duet at a recent wedding. It could be done as a solo.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#17re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 8:39pm

All Good Gifts from "Godspell" would be nice. I've heard it performed at a wedding.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

ForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
#18re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 8:46pm

I would advise against JCS. I wouldn't consider the main female ballad in the show (I Don't Know How to Love Him) a really religious song, more of a pop ballad. It really isn't a soprano friendly show considering there is one female lead (Mary Magdalene) who sings on the lower side.

Thou giveth fever.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#19re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/27/05 at 8:53pm

"Why God, why?" from Miss Saigon

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

jollipops Profile Photo
jollipops
#20re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:27am

The title song from 'Children of Eden' - beautiful.

baltimorebroadway
#21re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:35am

Possibly "I Know Where I've Been", I know its not extremely high, but it might still be in your range.

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#22re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 7:14am

sit down you're rocking the boat from guys and dolls?

#23re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 7:34am

There are a few songs from the disaster Into the Light- the musical about the Shroud of Turin!!!

#24re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 7:59am

As a Christian worship leader, I have to tell you that Godspell is probably the only thing you'll be able to get away with in a traditional church setting...and not "Turn Back, Oh Man," either.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#25re: religious broadway songs
Posted: 6/28/05 at 8:25am

MEF and GOV - I love you both!!!

Latest Posts

Videos