is the Cort cursed?

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#0is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:22am

i read online (maybe playbill or broadway.com) that every show that has run at the Cort has closed quickly, not done well, or is just plain cursed with bad luck.

after reading reviews of "Barefoot" it would appear that this trend continues.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

jasobres
#1re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:23am

Naaaaaaaaaaaah.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:23am

I have to wonder if -- saleswise, this has nothing to do with poor reviews -- the location is somewhat detrimental.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#3re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:27am

It's not a great theatre in terms of size or location, and it has almost always housed small plays, so one wouldn't expect many great runs. But there have been a couple of exceptions. The Magic Show played almost 2,000 performances there from 1974-78.

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#4re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:43am

oh, yeah location was mentioned as well.

but i would have thought patrick wilson in "barefoot" would have been a sure-fire hit.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:44am

He isn't that big of a star, really. But a beloved actor doesn't ensure good reviews... and hey, people might still go see it even though the reviews weren't so great. It's not a flop yet.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 11:44 AM

MargoChanning
#6re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:51am

But Patrick Wilson is FAR from a star in the world beyond message boards. Go up and ask any random person on the street "Who is Patrick Wilson?" and you're gonna get mostly puzzled looks. And even many of those who do know who he is aren't willing to spend $96 to see him in a clunky, dated old Simon play. Amanda Peete either.

I don't know, to me it sounded doomed from the moment it was announced. Why on god's earth would anyone bother spending millions to revive THAT play on Broadway? Who's the audience for it? It belongs in dinner theaters, not on Broadway in 2006.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WOSQ
#7re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:53am

The Cort is not the most desired house in town by a long shot.

The location and the 2 balconies work against it.

Any real hit that has played there was an accident or a limited run. The Magic Show was a major sleeper hit, and there was no other theatre at the time to put it in.

I like the theatre. The sightlines are reasonably good except for the boxes and the acoustics are great.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

apdarcey
#8re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:55am

boring play, not the theatre's fault.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#9re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 11:57am

I'm with Margo, and said as much in the Reviews thread. This was a bad idea, with dubious casting choices--an unnecessary revival if there ever was one. "Simon's season?" I'm afraid ODD COUPLE and BAREFOOT are not SREETCAR and MENAGERIE. Again, I like Simon, but I'd rather see the flawed but interesting (risk-taking) GINGERBREAD LADY, which actually Clayburgh might've played to a faretheewell.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 11:57 AM

MargoChanning
#10re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 12:05pm

I remember my parents talking about seeing Maureen Stapleton in GINGERBREAD LADY and just raving about it. Maybe some place like Second Stage or perhaps even Roundabout (if a big enough star can be secured) might think about bringing it back at some point.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 12:05 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#11re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 12:20pm

And to think that their are so many wonderful plays just waiting for someone to take a financial chance on them. I am staying away from revivals with a few exceptions ( like Sweeney). I even think Chorus Line is a huge mistake.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#12re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 12:36pm

I think in this case it might be the weird 60s redo of the play, in addition to the lack of necessity of a revival. I mean, who really hasn't seen this a million times already?

That said, if we're just speaking about recent tenants, I don't think you can blame a theatre for making James Earl Jones sick. You likewise can't blame a theatre for Mario Cantone being really annoying, nor can you blame it for a lame children's musical about a frog and a toad. Farrah Fawcett on Broadway was just a bad idea to begin with.

Also, the first time I walked by the theatre, it was totally by surprise. I didn't even know it was there. It's stuck way off the main strip, just like the Belasco.

Looks like I'll have to try and check out Barefoot soon. Don't know how long it'll last.

CJR
#13re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 1:06pm

I dont think it's cursed, just more the fact of location and size.

The Cort just needs the right show. The Ambassador used to be nicknamed 'the theatre where Broadway goes to die" and I was CERTAIN Chicago's move there meant it would be closing shortly thereafter. It's been there 3 years now.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#14re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 1:34pm

"Sarafina" was fabulous!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

TinyDancer Profile Photo
TinyDancer
#15re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 1:35pm

Updated On: 2/23/06 at 01:35 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#16re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:06pm

I don't think that location has anything to do with it. I don't think that when most people choose to get theatre tickets that the thought most present in their mind is where the theatre is located. They might have comments once they get there but it's not a factor that I think would stop anyone from attending that theatre. If you put a bad production in any theatre people will not attend.

I've seen some really good shows in the Cort such as "Home", "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" and "The Heiress".

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

TinyDancer Profile Photo
TinyDancer
#17re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:25pm

Updated On: 2/23/06 at 05:25 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:43pm

Both the Cort & the Longacre are cursed

To a certain extent, so is the Lyceum

Poster Emeritus

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#19re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:43am

If any theatre is cursed, it is the Longacre. Again, it has two balconies, which is a hard sell. They haven't had a bonafide hit since Diana Rigg's MEDEA in 1994 and in recent years have played host to some of the most notorious flops in recent memory: PRYMATE, THE OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL, TALLER THAN A DWARF, FASCINATING RHYTHM, ONE MO TIME, etc. It briefly looked like the curse would be broken when VIRGINIA WOOLF opened, but that ended up closing earlier than expected and at a loss. We'll see how WELL fares there...

At least the Lyceum had I AM MY OWN WIFE, which had a healthy run and broke even many weeks, even if it did fall short of returning its investment.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#20re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 8:51am

It is on the "other side of the road." Being in New York, I see people everyday who are wlaking aorund and "Let's see tihs, it looks fun!" The problem is it's out of the loop and therefore it has "walk - ins."

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#21re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 12:50pm

The Cort and the Longacre are not cursed. They are less popular theatres that usually get crap bookings. People like to blame the theatres for bad shows, but the theatre is only as good as the show inside of it.

I saw Ain't Misbehavin' and Children of a Lesser God at the Longacre, and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Magic Show, Sarafina and The Heiress at the Cort. All wonderful evenings.

The Cort needs a marquee like the Walter Kerr, that would be visible from Seventh Avenue, but it's a lovely, good-sized theatre, that is equally suitable for plays and small musicals. The Longacre is pretty drab inside, with its baby poo brown interior. But a good renovation would certainly make it more desirable.

Yes, both theatres have unpopular second balconies. But the visibility is not bad up there in either theatre, and it's a virtue to sell the second balcony at a cheap price to fill it up.

The Nederlander was once considered the unluckiest house on Broadway. After 10 years of Rent, will it still be so when that show eventually closes?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#22re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 12:52pm

Yep, the location is bad. WHen I was in NY last, I wanted to see the marquis, pictures, etc. But I wandered around for about ten minutes trying to find it (I was on the wrong side of Broadway). And when I finally got there, it's a pretty run down street.

Actually, The Little Dog Laughed might be a good fit for the Cort if they go for a limited engagement.

And as for the Longacre, hopefully that curse changes when Well opens.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#23re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 1:06pm

The Cort is basically a victim of Rockefeller Center. The Cort used to have three other theatres surrounding it: the Playhouse, the Windsor and the Vanderbilt. All were torn down for various reasons, leaving the Cort as the sole survivor on the block.

Because of all of the theatres that used to be on that block, 48th Street was once known as the "Street of Hits". Still, I'm always happy when the Cort and the Longacre are in use, and hope that a good hit or two in those theatres will reverse their recent hard luck streaks.

Well is a terrific play, so I'm hoping it's a big success for the Longacre.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#24re: is the Cort cursed?
Posted: 2/18/06 at 1:33pm

Was Laugh Whore not a hit? I know it only ran for a short period of time (october-January) but with the special and all, I guess I just assumed it was a hit.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson