pixeltracker

Cast Albums you want re-recorded

Cast Albums you want re-recorded

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#0Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:30pm

I was listening to Hairspray the other day, and thought about this.

A few of the songs (Ex- You Can't Stop the Beat) do not follow what is actually performed in the show. I would love when the Movie CD comes out to actually have the real recording as its done in the show to listen to.

anyone have any others like that

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#1re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:37pm

I want a decent Les Miz cast recording.

NONE of them quite cut it for me. I like the 10th Anniversary one, but I'd like something more complete.

And forgive me, but the Complete Symphonic Recording annoys me because of the different accents. Especially, god bless her, the Eponine.

The ONLY time we get all those extra bits recorded for and English language recording and the Eponine can't pronounce any of the words...

*grumble*

I'm still waiting for a complete, NICELY DONE, English cast recording of Les Miz. I'll probably be waiting in vain.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Attendthetale331
#2re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:38pm

I kinda wish the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels cast would re-record because i think that some of the humour gets lost on the recording and comes off a little flat. It's still a good recording but it could be a lot better I think.

"Listen to the song that I sing and trust me..."

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#3re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:51pm

Don't shoot me, but I wish they would've re-recorded Wicked with Shoshana and Megan. And Wicked Witch of the East.

And I totally agree about Hairspray. Not only do a lot of the songs sound different on the OCR than they do in the show, but I much prefer the current cast of Hairspray to the OCR. It would be nice to have a cast recording with a Tracy whose voice didn't grate on my nerves the way Marissa's does.

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#4re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:56pm

I want them to get the ghosts of Alexis Smith, Dorothy Colins, Gene Nelso, Ethel Shutta, and the others and record a complete version of the OBC of Follies.

They would also need to pay whatever it takes to get John McMartin and Yvonne DeCarlo to perform with dead people.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Updated On: 2/28/06 at 02:56 PM

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#5re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 3:03pm

I'll take a cue from SmartPenguin and ask for a full recording of "Dreamgirls" from the OBC. To hear Loretta, Sheryl, Jennifer et. al. do the "Heavy" and "Curtis was supposed to love me" sections would be my dream...

Also, since its currently rotating heavily on my iPod, I would love to have "See What I Wanna See" re-recorded with Audra McDonald in the R-Shomon portion. Idina is fine in the second act (actually kind of endearing) but she is woefully miscast and often painful to listen to in the first act.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#6re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 3:12pm

I would like a new recording of Promises, Promises. Don't get me wrong--I really like the original one (especially Jerry Orbach)--but I would love to hear a fresh, clear, new recording with some better singers in many of the male supporting roles and maybe a few new orchestrations in places. I think this show has a great score, but due to the vocal limitations of some of the actors some songs don't come accross all that well. Was the 1997 "Encores!" production done well? I never got to see it so I can't vouch for how good it would be if it was on disc.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Lavinia Profile Photo
Lavinia
#7re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 4:29pm

A recording of the sitdown production of Wicked in Chicago, with Ana Gasteyer and Kate Reinders. They were just phenominal.

That was pure vodka, you poop!

#8re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 4:38pm

LeaGirl, I completely agree with your post (although I suspect we have different preferences in Eponines re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded).

And forgive me, but the Complete Symphonic Recording annoys me because of the different accents. Especially, god bless her, the Eponine.

You're one of perhaps two people who I've seen say that and I agree wholeheartedly. I dislike the CSR primarily because of the pieced-together sound, but Kaho's accent drives me up a wall and I'm surprised more don't feel that way.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 4:40pm

as a fan of CATS I sometimes wish there was a complete recording of the entire score sort of like the Symphonic LES MIZ. Other cast recordings of CATS are labeled as being complete recordings, I guess just because they are double disc sets, but all of the English recordings are missing huge chunks of the score... it's sad now that we have the technology to make longer recordings that we still have CDs that are made so incomplete. I wish the JOSEPH tour CD had been a complete recording. it would have been close to perfection...

JustChillin8908
#10re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 4:41pm

I wish they'd re-record the Mamma Mia Cast Recording with an American cast. Those british accents get on my nerves!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 4:44pm

Don't shoot me, but I wish they would've re-recorded Wicked with Shoshana and Megan. And Wicked Witch of the East.

Hahaha I loved them too, but the original cast is phenominal as well, I know you don't agree but I do agree with you about WWOTE.

I hope they do a Lindon recording with that song, I mean c'mon everyone knows the ending by now! lol JK. But the producers seem rather cheap so I'd say they're just going to keep the Grammy Winning cd that is still selling in rediculous numbers. Any other views?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

rickydrummer
#12re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 5:12pm

As much as I feel other shows are more deserving of cast recordings, I do hope "Wicked" gets a London recording. "Wicked Witch of the East" is one of my favorites segments from the show -- it was even better as "We Deserve Each Other (Reprise)" as heard in San Francisco. Plus, British accents singing "Wicked" could prove to be quite interesting.

I agree about "Follies" OBCR, but I think that's a horse that's been beaten to death. As for the Eponine on the Complete Symphonic Recording, I quite like her!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 5:20pm

I would love a new recording of The Magic Show with updated orchestrations and better sound quality. Lots of gems in that score. Also, a Baker's Wife with decent sound quality would be nice.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#14re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 5:22pm

I almost agree with you. I'd rather have Eden and Megan on the recording. With Cristy Candler singing Witch of the East. I really like that song, and i wish it was on the OBCR.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#15re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 5:32pm

Yeah, I know it's impossible but a re-recording of the Follies OBC would be perfection. Oh, well. Also, the OLC of Sunset Boulevard is brilliant, but not as complete at the U.S. version. If there was a more complete version of the OLC, I could probably stop listening to the Glenn Close version forever. Eh. Also, the Sweeney revival CR is really incomplete and is missing a lot of the second act.

lesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
#16re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 7:25pm

The German cast of CATS- perhaps it is the Vienna cast- is a live recording of the whole show of CATS. I don't own in, thus the lack of surity (maybe I just made that word up...).

Kaho Shimada is good- I can feel the emotion in her voice, thus I excuse her accent. I do the same for Gary Morris, though I find his Bring Him Home to be boring. The Bidnici 3 disc set of Les Mis is AWESOME AND complete.

"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#17re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 7:36pm

Smartpeguin78, Yvonne De Carlo is still alive.Enjolras77 get hold of the London Cast of Promises,Promises with Betty Buckley and Tony Roberts it's a much better recording. Have to agree with mrmatt though, would love a decent THE MAGIC SHOW album.

I'd like a decent album of THE WIZ. I never thought thought original conveyed any of the feeling of that show.

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#18re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 7:50pm

Les Mis- there are tons of CD's but they are soo old! We need some updated stuff.
Hairspray- possibly would be nice.
Lion King- they changed a lot on songs
Bombay Dreams- needs the songs from the BWY, totally different than the London cast.
Mamma Mia- need I say why? I am glad that I saw the show, but hearing the CD makes me want to hate the show.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 7:53pm

Well some fragments of Pippin are missing from the OBC, so that show would be great.

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#20re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 2/28/06 at 8:02pm

I always wanted a full-score album of Phantom of the Opera's Original Canadian Cast recording. I'm not as content with the highlights CD. (Also, a recording with Hugh Panaro and Sandra Joseph would be nice.)

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#21re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 3/1/06 at 6:32am

Follies OBC of course
The Beautiful Game - some of the orchestra production on the CD is terrible, especially that lifeless drum machine
Guys and Dolls RNT - again, production issues and muddy sound quality
The Witches of Eastwick (surprise!) to take into account the many changes since opening night (and to get rid of Ian McShane)

One of the producers at the London Wicked launch was quite encouraging about the possibility of an OLCR, but we'll have to wait and see...

Colle
#22re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 3/1/06 at 2:50pm

About the Les Mis CD's, I loved the CSR(I like Kaho Shimada's voice, but that is for another thread). What I really like about the CSR is that it is the whole musical as it was at the time of the recording. I enjoyed the TAC too, I loved some of the performances like Ruthie and Lea's. The main drawback of the TAC, for me, is that there are cuts; I kinda of wish that the whole wedding scene was done at the TAC because Michael Ball sounds really good in that scene on the CSR. Also, I would have liked to have seen Lea in some scenes that were cut, like "the Robbery" and "Eponine's Errand."

All this said, I would welcome another Les Mis CD. Hopefully they will make a cast recording of the upcoming Broadway cast, especailly if they turn out to be really good.

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#23re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:36pm

Definitely agree with the OBCR of Dreamgirls. I would love to hear the full score with those original girls. I also really like the little "stay, stay with me" verse in "And I am Telling You" and for some strange reason I wish it was on the recording.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#24re: Cast Albums you want re-recorded
Posted: 3/1/06 at 5:16pm

The Sweeney revival really should be re-recorded

They cut out so much and some of the performances sound a bit off. I was kinda dissapointed when I got it to be honest.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Videos