random star spotting

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#100re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 5:09pm

- Derrick Baskin, Dan Fogler, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jay Reiss, and Sarah Saltzberg in a park.
- I saw Jesse Tyler Ferguson at least 10 times last summer, just randomly walking down the street.
- Justin Bohon, Michelle Dowdy, and Angie Schworer at The Drowsy Chaperone stage door. Gavin Creel was at the show. Very nice guy.
- Danny Calvert at Wicked lotto. He signed up next to me.
- Bob the Bachelor walking past Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#101re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 5:36pm

I also seem to have a weird connection with Jesse Tyler Ferguson -- I saw him on the street two out of the last three days I was in the Theater District.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

GretchaSketh
#102re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 7:47pm

Angela Lansbury sat behind me yesterday at the Pajama Game:) And I saw Julia Stiles with Liotte not too long ago!

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

Joshua488
#103re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 7:49pm

Brian Stokes Mitchell in front of Virgin Megastore in Times Square, as documented by my new avatar.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#104re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:06pm

Last night I saw Donhnall Gleeson heading (I presume) towards the TS subway after the show. I did an about face and wished I had yelled out a quick congrats after him.

I also saw Doug Wright this afternoon. He was walking up 7th holding his boyfriend's hand and I caught myself gawking. We made eye contact and I'm sure he thought my gawking was over him holding his boyfriend's hand and not because I recognized him/was a fan (really, how many people, other than posters on this board, would ever recognize Doug Wright?!?!?)

And I saw someone that interned with in the Village this afternoon. Not a star spotting, but I still find it odd when you randomly see people you know on the street. It's a huge city with millions of people...what are the chances?!?!?

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#105re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:12pm

I saw Celia Keenan Bolger in a restaurant, Jesse Tyler Ferguson walking down the street, Jerry Mitchell walking down the street, and Victor Garber outside of Jersey Boys!

HeyJayNYC Profile Photo
HeyJayNYC
#106re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:18pm

Saw Renee Zellweger behind me at the corner of 57th and 8th on Thurs. We walked down 8th till we separated at 53rd. Not talking together, as she zig zagged at each stop light back and forth across 8th. She was talking on her cell and carrying a Venti Starbucks coffee. She is TOO skinny! Her cheeks are even too gaunt. I hope she doesn't overdo it.
Saw Alec Baldwin on 46th today on his way to work.
Tony Roberts on 47th.
Kate Burton in front of Food Emporium on 8th @ 49th.
Last week saw Sutton Foster on 8th Ave and 56th with her boyfriend.
Saw Tim Daly in the Food Emporium downstairs last week. Almost said hi as I thought he was someone I knew. Funny.
8th Avenue is the best place to star spot as most actors walk on 8th to and from work to avoid the crowds.
Saw Ana Gastayer a few weeks back and we stared at each other..I couldn't place her at first as she had blonde hair.
Saw Meryl Streep and Tracey Ullman at "Grey Gardens", along with Frank Langella.
Saw Victor Garber on 46th a week ago.
Always fun to see them in person.

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#107re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 9:01pm

I saw Tyne Daley and got a picture with her outside of Spelling Bee, she was walking by with a few people and I was waiting for the cast! Pleasant Surprise!

#108re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 9:03pm

I ran into Barrett Foa in Shubert Alley and Matt Damon appeared in front of me on 46th St. He's a lot shorter than I thought he'd be. Also, I live in the same town as Tanya Harding, so I see her everywhere. Lemme tell you, that's exciting. And people routinely run into Chuck Palahniuk around here too.
Updated On: 5/22/06 at 09:03 PM

Bdwy24
#109re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/21/06 at 9:26pm

Updated On: 5/21/06 at 09:26 PM

cpnchicago
#110re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/22/06 at 9:13am

Had a good weekend for celebrity spotting in NYC this past weekend. Saw Clive Davis and the guy who directed Wedding Crashers at Three Days of Rain Friday night. Then I took my daughter to the playground on Saturday and saw Calista Flockhart, Harrison Ford, and Patrick Dempsey there with their kids.

Nothatsmrt Profile Photo
Nothatsmrt
#111re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/22/06 at 10:54am

I was lucky enough to be crashing in the city with a friend to attend a training class for work, and saw:

-Jim Dale on Tuesday evening on 53rd St.
-Victoria Clark in front of Alice Tully Hall on Wednesday evening.

and my personal favorite, for all you opera fans:

-Joseph Volpe, outgoing general manager of the Metropolitan Opera, on Wedesday evening, having a cigar right outside of the Metropolitan Opera house in front of the poster advertising the gala in his honor that happened on Saturday. I couldn't believe my eyes, and I had to ask a friend of mine who works at Lincoln Center if he would actually be doing that, and she confirmed that he does it all the time.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#112re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/22/06 at 11:43am

Just saw Clive Merrison outside my building...and I live in a pretty random area of town, where you totally wouldn't expect Broadway folk to be milling about. He was finishing up a cig, then went off into the subway. Dammit, I should have congratulated him on HB's good showing at the Drama Desks last night, but I was kind of taken aback, because seriously, what the hell would he be doing in this neck of the woods?!?!? Shopping at Duane Reade, apparently (had a bag in his hand).

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#113re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/22/06 at 12:01pm

Brian D'arcy James talking to someone on the corner of the Wintergarden theater at midnight or some late time.

Almost, literally, ran into Hunter Foster walking up Bway on the way to work when he was in Little Shop.

Saw Hunter and Jen Cody waiting for the subway at Times Sq btwn shows last Sat. Rode with them downtown until I got to my stop.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

LorelaiGilmore Profile Photo
LorelaiGilmore
#114re: random star spotting
Posted: 5/22/06 at 4:06pm

Last Monday i saw Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Esposito at the Of Thee I Sing stagedoor.

Gary Beach at the Odd Couple stage door.

Christian Borle walking from Spamalot to Drowsy, only I didn't figure out it was him until after.

oy with the poodles already!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#115re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:27am

Susan Lucci in line in the women's restroom at The Drowsy Chaperone last night (5/31). I was the only woman under 30 in the line at the time, and I don't watch soaps, yet I was the first one to recognize her, which cracked me up.

She's *tiny*- she was wearing ginormous heels, and she can't be more than what, 5 feet, 5'1", without them. Gorgeous shoes, cute little white dress number. Very gracious to the "OMG you're so talented" gushing tourists in line who eventually recognized her, and completely just waited in line with the rest of us pleebs- no attitude at all.

AND she was turning off her cell phone while waiting in line, before she got into the theatre, which I totally *heart* her for.

(Can you tell that the bathroom line was loooong, and I had a bit of time to just watch her? :))

timote316
#116re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:40am

When I was in NY last January, I was walking to my hotel to drop some stuff off before I saw Color Purple, and passed someone who looked eerily like Jane Krakowski. I did a double take, but she was gone. After leaving the hotel, I passed her again... I'm sure it was her.

I was also talking to Brad Oscar before seeing Sweeney, without knowing it was Brad Oscar. I thought he looked familiar, but I couldn't place him.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#117re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:57am

When I was doing standing room at Sweeney in February, I noticed this older guy sitting on the steps instead of standing. When I looked back over, I realized that it was Sondheim.

Whatever happened to class?

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#118re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:59am

Oddly enough I just passed Jane last night on 8th/43rd...random :)

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#119re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:38pm

I think I saw Garth Kravits the other day at Starbucks. I didn't have the courage to ask the guy if it was him. Instead I looked at the recipt he signed, and listened for his name being called.

ohwillo
#120re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 8:28pm

Ben Vereen and Alan Cumming in Times Square.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#121re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 8:31pm

I live in LA so I see alot, especially in my neighborhood

Amanda Bynes and Melissa Joan Hart take my Cardiobarre class
Jared Leto in Whole Foods
Toby Maguire in Rite Aid
Kirsten Dunst at the table next me at a restaurant called Pace. I saw Tori Spelling there on a different night
Tim Allen, Peter Facinelli, Julie Bowen (Boston Legal) and Carlos Bernard (24) at the frozen yogurt place a few minutes from my apartment
Salma Hayek behind me in line at the movie theater
Most of the cast of the West Wing and Hugh Jackman at Kristin Chenoweth's concert at Walt Disney Concert Hall
Mena Sulvari taking my stall as I exited the bathroom at the Walt Disney Concert Hall
Brittany Murphy in Urban Outfitters
Freddy Rodriguez (Six Feet Under) in my yoga class

Those are just some of the randoms.

In non-theater contexts, I have also seen Cheyenne Jackson, James Gandolfini, Kathie Lee Gifford and Taye Diggs walking down the street in NYC.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#122re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:13pm

Saw Kate Reinders at Vinyl (9th Avenue in the 50s) last Saturday evening.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#123re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:18pm

Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins hand in hand on the boardwalk in Vancouver (he had a very large cigar in his mouth). They both smiled at me as I gaped at them.
Danny Masterson (Hyde in That 70s show) sitting behind me at a Pearl Jam concert.
Minnie Driver at a park in Toronto.
Kirsten Dunst at a Toronto movie theatre. Michelle Federer walking past me in NYC on her way to meet Norbert at DRS.
I think that's it.

Updated On: 6/1/06 at 10:18 PM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#124re: random star spotting
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:22am

all I got is: Christian Borle walking past me to go into the Virigina Theatre when Little Women was playing.

and Cillian Murphey (movie actor: Red Eye, Batman Begins, 21 days) walking past me to get on the Tube (london) after I had just gotten off the same car.

that's it..I need to live in the city.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos