Hugh Jackman : Carousel

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#0Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 6:26am

Variety is reporting that Hugh will play Billy Bigelow in Carousel. The film due for release by Fox 2000.

Should be interesting...

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0802/jackmanh.html

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Fan2
#1re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 6:43am

This would seem to have nothing to do with his three-movie deal with Disney since this would be Fox and his own production company. Gee, wonder if he had Scarlett Johansson in mind when he said they want to do a movie musical together (apparently she knows the words to every song in Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals and is a very good singer).
Updated On: 8/2/06 at 06:43 AM

#2re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 6:51am

I hope Scarlett knows how to spell Rodgers, as in Richard Rodgers re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:34am

This sounds great! Hugh is just great. Hopefully this will be successful.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#4re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:49am

You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment.

Just my thought on the whole smiley-face situation.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:53am

I think Hugh would actually be great in this.

Maybe Hollywood will get a film version of it right, this time. They killed the original movie in the first 5 minutes.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

IssaMe
#6re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 10:05am

Lovely idea but why must this man keep announcing new projects every five minutes - either he will have to clone himself to do them all or he eventually will lose credibility. There are only so many hours in the day, mate! But wouldn't it be nice if he COULD do them all and leave enough time to come back to Broadway.

Fan2
#7re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 10:22am

We must realize that when things are announced it doesn't necessarily mean they will happen right away - it can take years! It looks like Hugh is doing so many things, but they are just in the pipeline now and not ready to go into production. After he finishes his BFO tour (which starts tonight!), he's doing "The Tourist" in October, and then the Baz Luhrmann movie in February. "Wolverine" is also supposed to be done next year, so this may take awhile. I read somewhere once that it usually takes about three years once a movie is announced - a year for development, a year for pre-production and a year for filming and post-production.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#8re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 10:31am

Hugh Jackman: Anything!

This is exciting. I hope Hytner directs.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#9re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:31am

And Jackman did do the Carnegie Hall Carousel concert, to what I remember being raves...

HereNowhere
#10re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:35am

I've thought for a while now that he'd make a great Billy. And, thinking of the type, Johannson would make a great Julie.

Fan2
#11re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 11:53am

And Hugh did say Scarlett knows the words to all the Rodgers and Hammerstein songs... it sounds like she's going to be in at least one of the movie musicals he's planning to do.

Fan2
#12re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:32pm

Check out the last sentence of this Carousel report (online journalists have seen Hugh's movie "The Fountain" but they are embargoed from reporting on it right now - my guess will be after the movie premieres at the Venice Film Festival at the end of the month the embargo will come off).

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=12332

>>Fox would do kind to lock up any deal with Jackman they can get before his price goes through the roof after the Best Actor nomination (and likely win) for THE FOUNTAIN. Yeah I said it. He's that good.<<

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#13re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:35pm

I hope Hollywood doesn't screw up Carousel this time. Jackson should be great though.

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#14re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:37pm

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment."

That may just be my favorite quote EVER now! Thank you. I think I have a new signiture.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

Elphaba43
#15re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:47pm

I think that he's going to be phenomenal!! I cannot wait until this comes out. I think that Hugh Jackman will be perfect for the role. I think this is something new for him that will end up really good!

I am a bagel on a plateful of onion rolls. If you know what I'm talking about, good. If you don't, you're on your own!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#16re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:58pm

Hugh would be great, no doubt, but does this movie have ANY box office appeal... AT ALL?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#17re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 2:34pm

right this will be big... this probably isn't the best choice for the fledgling movie-musical business.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#18re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 2:57pm

Oh this is exciting News! I really hope this happens! I LOVE Carousel!

Dollypop
#19re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:01pm

I have only two words to say about this:

HEAVEN FORFEND!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SporkGoddess
#20re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:05pm

Ooh! Now if only Hollywood can cast a good, legit soprano for Julie. They tend to have problems when it comes to sopranos.

I'm kind of praying for Kelli O'Hara, though I know it will never happen. Ah well.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#21re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:10pm

I don't think it makes any sense to remake "Carousel." It has already been preserved in a wonderful film version, and I think the only reason there is even a discussion about a remake is because Hugh Jackman is willing to do it. Why not remake "The Sound of Music" too?

I think Hugh Jackman is right for the role of Billy, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in a revival, but I see no reason to remake the film. There are other movie musicals that need to be remade...remakes of "Mame" and "Hello, Dolly!" have been discussed realtively frequently on this board. To remake those would make much more sense.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler
Updated On: 8/2/06 at 03:10 PM

alwy15
#22re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 3:11pm

hugh jackman would be just wonderful

this seems to be a great opportunity for studio executives to destoy a classic

so who will they cast in the other roles?

i think angelina jolie will be julie jordan
queen latifah will be nettie
paris hilton as carrie
vince vaughn as mister snow
and david caruso as jigger.

sadly, i think something along these lines is bound to happen.
but we'll see.....

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#23re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 4:42pm

I would love to see the production design of the film be based on the LCT production. And can we get some A McD action up in this film please?? Girl needs to work on getting an Oscar now since she will be receiving an Emmy for her work in A Raisin in the Sun. re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel

RightAmerica
#24re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 4:59pm

I hope the rest of casting is tradtional too.

Revive the shows of GEORGE M. COHAN!!!

Videos