Mel Brooks: Is He Done?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:24pm

So, as we saw, Mel Brooks did not learn that old saying: "Too much of a good thing is bad."

So, he let Stroman direct the flop movie.

And then he musicalized YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN that, while humorous, is not the gut busting laugh-fest that it could have been.

Is he finished with writing Broadway musicals? Or will we see yet another musicalization of one of his movies?

Or worse...YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN: THE MOVIE MUSICAL?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:37pm

I sure hope so.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#2re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:38pm

He should have done BLAZING SADDLES instead.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#3re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:38pm

One can only hope.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#4re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:40pm

"Maybe next year Blazing Saddles..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 1/5/08 at 11:40 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 11:41pm

By the way, after seeing the perfect film musical, Sweeney Todd, I don't think anyone should attempt to make another one for a while, especially Stroman and Brooks. Unless of course Follies gets done with the right people.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:01am

Apperently he is thinking of doing Blazing Saddles next.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

bk
#7re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:07am

No he is NOT thinking of doing Blazing Saddles next. I know it's wonderful to be eighteen, but really, it's a JOKE at the end of Young Frankenstein - not serious.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#8re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:34am

Oh good. As if his glitzy musical comedy and his gothic musical weren't bad enough. Imagine his western?
Wait, I take that back. The Producers was pretty damned good. Young Frankenstein? No.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#9re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:38am

Bk, while we really can't say that he IS planning to do it; you can't say that is IS NOT planning to do it.

Unless your like his friend, which I sincerely doubt.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#10re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:39am

Actually Spaceballs: The Musical is opening at the Gershwin fall of 2009.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#11re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 1:23am

What about History of the World part II. Even I could write lyrics for a 15th Commandments song.

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#12re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 1:37am

As long as his shows continue to rake it in, I really don't see any reason he'd stop.

No he is NOT thinking of doing Blazing Saddles next. I know it's wonderful to be eighteen, but really, it's a JOKE at the end of Young Frankenstein - not serious.
I don't think anyone who heard that actually thought he was doing Blazing Saddles, bk.

I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 1/6/08 at 01:37 AM

Allshowsrock
#13re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 3:17am

I think he did well for the Producers, but YF, sucked IMO. I didnt laugh barley at all during the whole show, and neither did the audience (a few times there was a roar but for most it was just chuckles...or nothing)
I just dont like how he does only musicals based off of his movies. Come on, be more original, just taking a movie and adding songs to it doesnt make it a masterpiece.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#15re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 4:20am

When I went the sold out audience of Young Frank ate the show up and wanted more.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#16re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 4:26am

He has money and respect of the people that count (which is nobody on this board, save perhaps Marc Shaiman). He is by no mans out of the game. YF is, despite what has been said here and elsewhere a bon fide hit.

Brooks can do whatever he wants.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 1/6/08 at 04:26 AM

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#17re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 4:32am

A lot of people saying 'he's done' etc havent even seen 'Young Frankenstein'! Its not the best and far from the worst production seen on Broadway and i hope he continues to bring his shows to the Great White Way. Dont be at all surprised if we see 'Blazing Saddles' on stage in 2 years time- he'll have to try a different musical style with the country and western theme of the piece.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Debbie1313 Profile Photo
Debbie1313
#18re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 9:30am

Maybe not everyone is laughing, but Mel Brooks is certainly laughing his way to the bank. No matter what is said about his work the man has had a brilliant career and many successes. And no I am not a relative.

BroadwayAbridged Profile Photo
BroadwayAbridged
#19re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 10:13am

I'm not so sure if he's going to get a new musical out in as short as 2 years; it took over 5 or six from opening night of Producers to opening night of YF. But he's still pumping away and I'm hoping he learns from his mistakes on YF to take another chance on Broadway. Although I still think that Men in Tights is the best choice...

Why do people think that one flop is going to kill him? It's not even a flop! At minimum it's going to run through the end of the contracts of the original cast, if not a few years more. No matter how much it paled to Producers.

@WickedBoy: I wouldn't bet on him changing musical styles to Country/Western for Saddles. He didn't get his musical styles into the correct Gothic whatever for YF.

- Gil http://www.broadwayabridged.com

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#20re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:03am

I actually heard that SPACEBALLS: The Musical is going into the St. James Theatre in 2009.

WICKED is in negotiations to purchase the Gershwin Theatre with plans on rechristening it the Frank L. Baum Theatre. They expect to pass THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA as the longest running musical on Broadway after that closes in the next century.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:12am

I saw the Producers and Young Frankenstein. Were they the best thing ever? No, but I enjoyed both of them (and YF is pretty up there on my list of favorites). These shows attracted/attract large audiences, and if Brooks can find that type of success, then I don't think he is "done" unless he doesn't feel like adapting any more of his movies for the stage. He must be doing something right.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 1/6/08 at 11:12 AM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#22re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:13am

Show a little respect to a very funny man.
He has written some of the greatest comedic films. Can we show a little respect, please.
PS I am not a relative. I did meet his cute son in law and wish he was my Father in law.

The 2000 Year old Man is my favorite movie short. Blazzing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are my favorite comic films.
He and Carl Reiner are brilliant and should get some respect on this board.

SporkGoddess
#23re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:39am

Spaceballs? Please tell me you're joking. I love that movie to pieces, but I think that it would make a terrible musical.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#24re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 11:49am

Mel Brooks will never be done.
The 2000 Year Old Man is a must rent!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#25re: Mel Brooks: Is He Done?
Posted: 1/6/08 at 12:15pm

I love Mel's movies. I have seen Young Frankenstein several times. Do I laugh out loud everytime I see it? No. But I enjoy them. I don't plan to see Young Frankenstein unless, for some reason, a ticket is given to me or I get it on discount. I wasn't crazy about the music for the Producers and not too crazy about what I have heard from Young Frankenstein. But I think most of all, I just haven't been crazy about Mr. Brooks himself over the past few years. He was really annoying in the documentary for the recording of the Producers and there is just an annoying thing about him that I don't remember from years ago. He was funny, not annoying. With that said, if he wrote a new musical for Broadway, I just might go. I would like to see something new by him. Just my random thoughts.

Just give the world Love.

Videos