pixeltracker

First show you saw alone..- Page 2

First show you saw alone..

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#25re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:07pm

I thought it would have occured much earlier than this...but the first show I saw by myself was "Thou Shalt Not" (and I guess any potential show-going partner for that night should be thankful of that fact).

Every other time I saw a show in NYC, I had either been travelling in the city with friends/family, or met friends who were NYC residents at the theatre.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

lightguy06222
#26re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:41pm

The first show I ever saw alone in NYC: The Producers starring Hunter Foster as Bloom.

I love seeing shows alone. I will always invite someone, but if no one can come and see anything, or no one is willing to spend some money to see a show, I love going myself and enjoying theatre. Finding a cheap ticket for a great show.

I go to NYC 1-2 times per year, and see between 7 and 11 shows (usually in 5-8 days) and see most of them alone. Sometimes my NYC friends will join me, but I love the cathardic experience of attending theatre. I love it.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#27re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:44pm

Lightguy - i'm with you. I just love seeing a show by myself and being able to inhabit the show and not worry about those around me.

My first show alone: The Drowsy Chaperone

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

Okayfine
#28re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:10pm

A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart, but I was alone because I was paid to be there. Can't remember what I 1st paid to see alone. Not really a fan of going to the theatre w/o someone else there to compare notes with.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#29re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:10pm

My solo trip to London back in 1988. And I saw Blood Brothers, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon and Forbidden Planet.

dacvingwolf
#30re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:27pm

Legally blonde!!!

travtrev2 Profile Photo
travtrev2
#31re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:31pm

tHe LiOn KinG

agentpattycakes Profile Photo
agentpattycakes
#32re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 5:31pm

I will be seeing Young Frankenstein alone in a couple of weeks. I just wanted to see Sutton before she leaves!

BillyE
#33re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:14pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie
It was my 4th of 7 times seeing that show.
Lately though, I've been seeing a lot of shows by myself, usually on a whim, sometimes just to see an early preview before everyone else.
I'll be there for Shreck and Billie Elliott.

greybaby231 Profile Photo
greybaby231
#34re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:17pm

The revival of 42nd St.

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#35re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:24pm

So far, the only show I saw alone was Phantom but I'm also going to be seeing Xanadu alone next time I go to the city.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#36re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:26pm

I think it would be Spamalot. I completely agree that seeing theatre alone is fantastic. I can have whatever reaction I want to have to the show, and it is ok. I love being surrounded by strangers who are all taking the same journey. I love not feeling embarrased when I cry. I especially enjoy seeing shows for the first time alone. It really allows me to form my own opinion to the piece. re: First show you saw alone..

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#37re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:52pm

The first would be The Producers. And I thought there were more, but after looking back at ticket stubs and Playbills, that is the only one! However, that will most likely change next week if I want to see as much as I want to see up there in the city!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#38re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 7:59pm

"A Chorus Line"

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#39re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 9:20pm

Beauty and the Beast was the first musical I saw on Broadway by myself. A very unique experience.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#40re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 10:58pm

Wicked On Tour in Baltimore. My Dad and I were visiting people there so we tried the lotto and we lost and they only had seat so I went by myself. And then I saw Rent a few times on my own in NYC!

louisamayfoster Profile Photo
louisamayfoster
#41re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 11:59pm

An interesting question ~
It was Mary Poppins for me, but I'm such a jabber mouth I usually meet someone everywhere I go. They humor me.

dramaguru
#42re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/13/08 at 12:13am

Okayfine, what were you paid to do at A Christmas Carol?

(God - I loved that. Went to see it two years in a row.)

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#43re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/13/08 at 12:21am

The Farnsworth Invention.

People usually want to accompany me...

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#44re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:12am

Spring Awakening. I don't mind going alone.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#45re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:27am

I was in boarding school, and home sick with mono. I had a noon doctor's appointment and after I left the doctor, I took a cab to the Majestic and saw a matinee of Mack and Mabel.

I was tired and sick, but it was the best medicine in the world.

My parents were very pissed when I got home, but how do you punish a sick kid?

bwaybabe2
#46re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/14/08 at 10:13pm

Camelot! It was a special night, too.

xerotheory7803
#47re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/14/08 at 11:13pm

I've seen plenty of shows on my own, the first though was Martin Short : Fame Becomes Me.

Fill In the Words Profile Photo
Fill In the Words
#48re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/14/08 at 11:45pm

Aida. But I've seen many shows alone since then. I like seeing shows alone because I don't have to worry about anyone else liking the show or stuff like that... but I also dislike seeing a show alone because I love discussing the show over drinks or dinner afterwards.

"Because talent isn't genius, and no amount of energy can make it so. I want to be great, or nothing."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#49re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/15/08 at 12:13am

I don't remember for sure, but it was probably when the Les Miz tour was in San Francisco in 2002. If you want to count regional, then definitely an excellent local production of The Secret Garden. (The first time I ever saw a musical twice!)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt