pixeltracker

Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?

Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#1Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 12:58am

So I was at GYPSY Tuesday and it was great. Afterwards I didn't know if I wanted to stage door and set myself up for disappointment, but I did anyway. Though many stars like Rosie O'Donnell, Christine Ebersole, Jonathan Groff, Beth Leavel, and even Tony Yazbeck and Leigh Ann Larkin at GYPSY agreed to let me take photos with them, I could tell by Patti's mood that I shouldn't even ask. I had been warned on here that she doesn't pose for photos, so I wasn't surprised, but something she said to a young man after she finsihed signing my Playbill did surprise me.

Unlike me, this guy, who was probably in his 20's, planned what he was going to say to her as she walked by. He said, "I really want to get into show business and you're my inspiration." She looked him in they eye, something I wish I could say she did to me, and said, "Honey, it ain't pretty."

Then he starts crying after she leaves in her SUV. Now, I can't figure out if he was happy because she looked him in the eye and spoke to him or sad because she crushed his dreams, but it makes ME sad that she would say something like that to someone who obviously adores her. She had a huge revival of a show that was just done on Broadway mounted for her, she won the Tony, and she's currently in the role of a lifetime, yet she says show business "ain't pretty".

Thoughts?

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.
Updated On: 8/17/08 at 12:58 AM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#2re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:04am

Speaking as a professional actor, she said it because it's true. And if he can't deal with that truth, then he should change his major. Granted she was probably reacting after a long day but why not be blunt with that kid, beating around the bush will only set him up for failure. Especially if he cried after that.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:04am

She told the truth, as simple as that.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#5re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:07am

LOL.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

esparza 333
#6re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:08am

I have probably done over 45 auditions in professional theatre. I have only got 2. It really is not a pretty business like she said. It is hard and she was just telling him the truth so he did not get his hopes up, You have a very small chance of getting to Patti's level in the industry. So that is why she said it.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#7re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:08am

I'm wondering why he started crying. Show business not being "pretty" is something that every actor/actress, no matter how famous, knows.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#8re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:09am

I think the young man was overly sensitive. He should know it's a tough business.

skb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
#9re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:15am

If she is his inspiration, he should know how hard she has worked to get to where she is.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#10re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:21am

It's not like she's making it up.

Patti of all people right now would know that it's no walk in the park.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#11re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:22am

He's way overly sensitive, but Patti is a b*tch. I know she is a diva, and she was telling the truth, but that was a too blunt and harsh way to say it. Simple as that.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#12re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:35am

ANYONE who is told "You are my inspiration," should say, "Thank you" and demonstrate at least a modicum of humility...even if the second they step into their SUV they have completely forgotten all about it.

Following "Thank you" with "It ain't pretty" or following "It ain't pretty" with "But thank you" works, too.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#13re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:37am

He said, "I really want to get into show business and your my inspiration." She looked him in they eye, something I wish I could say she did to me, and said, "Honey, it ain't pretty." - Something tells me that he cried because he's young, she's his inspiration, and she looked him right in the eye and spoke directly to him. I'll bet he didn't even comprehend what she said, so much as she said to him.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:38am

I'm sure he said, "you're," actually.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:39am

I agree that "Thank you, it aint pretty" would have been better.

He might have just been star struck. I know I got teary eyed after meeting Chita Rivera, and actually having a conversation with her.

je veux te voir2 Profile Photo
je veux te voir2
#16re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:48am

I wanted to say that it all depends on how she said "honey, it aint pretty." But really...it doesn't. It really was a jarring thing to say. Clearly, the entertainment business is difficult. And everyone knows whether it be theatre, tv, popular music, classical music....the entertainment business is like a shark pool. lol. But when a fan praises you for one quick second, you don't spend the 3 seconds you have to say something to him to shut his dreams down. And to those that say she was just telling the truth, that he was going to get his hopes crushed in the end...thats bull****. There are tons of performers who say all the time that it was when so and so told me to never give up, that i knew i would make it someday. When you are an icon, you are supposed to encourage youth. I'm training to be a pro clarinetist and when I studied with Charles Neidich (the number one solo clarinetist in the world) once and I told him "I want to be like you someday," he told me "You have what it takes and never give up no matter what." Obviously I know the music business is difficult and the chances of getting jobs are equivalent to the chances of becoming a professional basketball player yet he encouraged me powerfully. Idols are supposed to encourage, not discourage.

I love Patti Lupone as a performer...but she's always had her "be-yotch" moments off the stage.

Broadway Baby 2
#17re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 1:52am

Exactly what Carl said. As a performer I can say it is a hard life. If you dont have grease paint in your veins you wont last long and if you do there is no other life. Patti is a realist she does not sugar coat. I realy dont think many theatre people do. I am sure she did not mean to hurt his feelings. I hope that he realizes she only wanted to be honest with him.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#18re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 2:07am

Still, she could have said "Thank you." I mean, it has as many syllables as "Honey," which she could have omitted.

This isn't about "Patti" or any other "celebrity," it's about being a grown-up and graciously accepting a compliment. You can be a "realist" and still say "Thank you."

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

ragg_ballad
#19re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 2:46am

there's no one way to be a grown-up. maybe Patti isn't like every other grown-up and takes "compliments" differently, instead of saying thank you, she speaks her mind. Different people, different personalities, ways of doing certain things, etc. Just accept that she can say stuff like that...Just cause she's Patti LuPone doesn't mean she won't say things that may make some people cry.

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#20re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:09am

It sounds like she was offering a small kindness. After a few years in the business he will look back on that night and marvel.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#21re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:18am

If an honest observation from his idol on a stage door, makes him cry, than he is DEFINITELY not cut out for this job, so Patti did him a favor !

Friendofethelm
#22re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:44am

I won't express an opinion on what she said because I wasn't there to hear her exact words or the tone of her voice or to see whether she was smiling or not. What I will say is this: the fact that, nowadays, an off-hand remark made by a Broadway star can be posted anonymously on the internet and made part of the public record for anyone to read and comment on, kinda proves her point - don't ya think?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#23re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 7:36am

GreekMusicalFan: I agree with you. Miss Patti was merely being honest. She is a living example of a Broadway legend with enormous success. But she has had to endure many disappointments along the way as well. I hope the gentleman at the stage door tries to develop nerves of steel if he wants to be involved in the entertainment industry. He's going to need it. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

#24re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 7:39am

Wait-was she looking into his eyes, seeing her own reflection and reacting to seeing herself with "honey it ain't pretty?"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#25re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 7:48am

It's true of course but also kinda bitchy.

Why couldn't she just say thank you and something like it's hard work but and then some words of inspiration.

I just love that if someone like Idina Menzel or a cast member from SPRING AWAKENING said this everyone would be attacking them and calling them rude but because it's Patti, it's ok. Granted they have less experience in the business but still. Whatever...

Anyway, I think it was a bit rude.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#26re: Your thoughts on something Patti said at the stage door...?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 8:17am

LOL, ppc1979

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.