News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 8

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#175BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:16pm

Act Two is more "intact" than act one is, when it comes to the original London production but there was still one song completely replaced that I can't remember off the top of my head and still some lyric/staging changes but not nearly as many as act one.

I've said before that I DID enjoy it on the West End and had fun at it and I still did here. The show isn't a masterpiece by any means and I really hope people don't go expecting it to be one. One friend tonight absolutely hated it and the other enjoyed the campiness of it, which is what I like so much, too.

Is this gonna be a hit? I....doubt it. But I hope it's not a total failure, I think there ARE still some good things in the show. With so so much done to alter it, I'm curious if the cuts/changes are done or if they'll continue throughout the preview period.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#176BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:19pm

No audience revolve, I assume?

How were Jordan, Grace, and Carolee?

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/17/23 at 11:19 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#177BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:19pm

(double post)

Oh look, a bibu!

defenses
#178BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:22pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "How were Jordan, Grace, and Carolee?"

They were the strongest in the show IMO.

TheOnlyOne2
#179BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:29pm

Overall, I think the show will be enjoyable most to audiences who like Frozen, or Beauty and the Beast. The title character is not well written which is a shame. I don't love speaking ill of actors, but hopefully it was just a first preview, and Linedy will find a way to squeeze everything she can out of this material. Like I said, there isn't much to work with there, and none of her songs, except for the titular piece, sound like ALW. again I found myself not being happy when the her character entered the stage. Everything she was given were forgettable contemporary musical theater pieces. 

On the other hand, CAROLEE CARMELLO! It was the first time I've seen her in person and there is a reason why she has an illustrious career. Wow can she really turn a part into gold, and the vibrato! :) No questions, she's getting a Tony nomination. Grace McLean was also brilliant, and did a great job of keeping up with Carolee. 

Jordan Dobson had the perfect temperament for Prince Sebastian. The character isn't a revelation, but he fully delivers the material handed to him.

Sami Gayle, and Morgan Higgins as the stepsisters were quite enjoyable. The comic timing was nicely done. 

In terms of the overall show, I felt it was too long, and the direction was lacking. A lot of the solos for the lead were not strong enough to warrant a bare stage and spotlight. There needed to be more texture behind her or something to fill what was lacking in those songs. Somewhere to go, more movement through the world of the play. Also the turn table was a strange choice. There were moments when it would just start spinning during a bare stage solo as if trying to fill what lacked in the material. Very strange. 

I'm glad I saw the show, I'm always happy to see musical theater,  I just wish I enjoyed it more. There were moments though!

Updated On: 2/17/23 at 11:29 PM

Jordan Catalano
#180BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:31pm

I will say Linedy has the attitude right (mostly) but the look is completely wrong. She just too damn pretty so they need to do something with the hair/makeup/something to make her more “plain”. 

I don’t know where they found the dude playing Prince Charming but holy hell he’s a real life He-Man doll.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#181BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:35pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I will say Linedy has the attitude right (mostly) but the look is completely wrong. She just too damn pretty so they need to do something with the hair/makeup/something to make her more “plain”.

I don’t know where they found the dude playing Prince Charming but holy hell he’s a real life He-Man doll.
"

I saw Cameron Loyal in Aida at White Plains Performing Arts Center back in 2019 (I had to look this up though). Interestingly enough, the Aida was Kim Onah, who just joined the Broadway cast of & Juliet.

Oh look, a bibu!

chrishuyen
#182BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:43pm

TheOnlyOne2 said: "In terms of the overall show, I felt it was too long, and the direction was lacking. A lot of the solos for the lead were not strong enough to warrant a bare stage and spotlight. There needed to be more texture behind her or something to fill what was lacking in those songs. Somewhere to go, more movement through the world of the play. Also the turn table was a strange choice. There were moments when it would just start spinning during a bare stage solo as if trying to fill what lacked in the material. Very strange.

I'm glad I saw the shoe, I'm always happy to see musical theater, I just wish I enjoyed it more. There were moments though!

"

This largely matches my thoughts of the London production of the show, which I was hoping the transfer would be able to correct. The ballads especially I felt there were either too many of them or they just went on too long (or both), especially without anything particularly interesting happening either visually or musically, though as I say that, I have I Know I Have a Heart persistently stuck in my head. I'm still excited to see the changes though and glad to hear the other roles are done well. Hopefully they really take advantage of the preview period to make some more changes.

Claudia Draper
#183BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 11:51pm

I’m glad I saw it tonight. Disappointing. It is very clunky both as a production and as a work. That said, there are some memorable songs that can be well produced. For me, the two lead female antagonists — the stepmother and the queen — are by far the outstanding roles and, in this production, handled beautifully. And while the rest of what is a very large ensemble is energetic and accomplished, often they are used in the second act merely to create chaos for transitions that otherwise are not logical or well done. In fact, most of the second act felt rushed in some places and overly elongated in others. But admittedly I understand that this is a musical for younger Broadway theatergoers, with young leads meant to appeal to them, and on this night the audience, especially the younger girls and women, rewarded them loudly for their efforts. So at the very least, we saw a show that engaged an audience that wanted to be engaged, and that in and of itself is fun. The set is boring, the godmother comes out of nowhere. I think Cinderella look awful, a 50 year old ELSA, in the ‘transformation” scene that ends Act I. Why the grey hair? The 2nd Act is a waste. Just make it 90 minutes. The ball looks like Beauty & The Beast. It is serving regional theater. It must be a tax write off for Webber. Carolee is wonderful. See it for yourself. Support theater. Updated On: 2/17/23 at 11:51 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#184BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:30am

Is there a song list in the playbill? How is the new opening number?

Jordan Catalano
#185BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:37am

Yes there’s a song list. The new opening is fine. It starts out exactly the same but then there’s a new song. I think it’s changed because there’s no longer a competition for most beautiful town, so that whole thing is cut.
And the defacing of the statue needs to be fixed because now instead of being spray painted on, it just has a bag over it he torso with the words  “Beauty is Our Doody” written on it. It’s stupid.

Updated On: 2/18/23 at 12:37 AM

Dolly80
#186BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:49am

It sounds just as terrible as it was in London.

Broadway, as a Brit. I’m truly sorry. You don’t deserve this. At least it won’t be around for long.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#187BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 2:18am

Jordan worded it perfectly. The show is fun if you let it, bad if you decide that’s the case.

It’s clear the Broadway social media crowd decided they hate it, though I don’t think it’s controversial day the industry doesn’t respect their views either. Go in, have fun, or not. Decide on your own, hopefully sooner than later because somebody who loves to have their voice heard is about to tell you otherwise 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#188BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 2:22am

Would someone be so kind to post the song list please? Thank you.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#189BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 2:26am

First preview curtain call, with a few post-show remarks by Carmello:

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#190BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 5:37am

Dolly80 said: "It sounds just as terrible as it was in London.

Broadway, as a Brit. I’m truly sorry. You don’t deserve this. At least it won’t be around for long.
"

I just cannot wait to see what the critics have to say. They're gonna have a field day with this show.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#191BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 7:35am

With a show like this, give us spectacle. The show is designed for families and young audiences so keep them engaged. 

And one of you said you hated every time the main character is on stage… that’s not … great?!

Jordan Catalano
#192BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 7:38am

The show does look much better than it did in London. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#193BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 7:50am

Jordan Catalano said: "The show does look much better than it did in London."

From the pictures I saw, the set does resemble the London set but the Broadway one looks more detailed. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#194BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 7:58am

Genuinely loving the random salsa curtain call.

Dolly80
#195BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:08am

Jordan Catalano said: "The show does look much better than it did in London."

I mean it couldn’t look worse

Jordan Catalano
#196BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:08am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "The show does look much better than it did in London."

From the pictures I saw, the set does resemble the London set but the Broadway one looks more detailed.
"

Yeah it’s essentially the same design but elevated. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#197BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:18am

Is this the same director as London, because just based on videos of the same song, the Bway Cinderella just seems to be given the note, "play it like a sassy teenager." 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

defenses
#198BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:25am

RippedMan said: "With a show like this, give us spectacle. The show is designed for families and young audiences so keep them engaged.

And one of you said you hated every time the main character is on stage… that’s not … great?!
"

It’s funny because I expected a much younger crowd at the preview last night but I saw a lot of older adults! I’m curious on their take of the show.

I agree on the second take. While I didn’t hate when she was on stage, the other characters were much more enjoyable and had better stories. My favorite scene didn’t have her in it at all. Sebastian was a much better protagonist. 

Jordan Catalano
#199BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:30am

Originally, besides the spray painting of the statue we never really got an idea of why she’s a “bad” Cinderella, outside of being different than everyone else in the town. Now it’s even more confusing and something I had hoped they’d elaborate on. 

Videos