News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 9

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#200BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:35am

everythingtaboo said: "Is this the same director as London?"

Yeah, Laurence Connor.

Updated On: 2/18/23 at 08:35 AM

DrewJoseph
#201BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 9:57am

Interesting. To me, from what I’ve seen, everything looks cheaper than it did in London. From the set to the costumes.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#202BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 9:58am

No, in person it very obviously looks more lavish than London. 

Jordan Catalano
#203BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:23am

I keep thinking about it (because I have a hundred text messages asking) what I'd change and I told someone that I wish the show would have gotten a gay man (or even a drag queen) to do rewrites and come in to consult because this show truly wants to be CAMP but never *quite* gets there. It BEGS to be a full on gay man's fantasy but it only ever gets halfway there. Like, all the pieces are there for it but it needs to be taken over the edge. I think that's maybe the best way I can describe it.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#204BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:34am

Jordan Catalano said: "No, in person it very obviously looks more lavish than London."

Does the set still have that sculptural back wall it had in London? I thought it looked fantastic from pictures but haven't seen it in any pics from Broadway. 

How has the set been changed and improved for Broadway?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#205BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:36am

Anything special or different about the top of Act Two?

Jordan Catalano
#206BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:40am

I think the back wall is the same design (but again, elevated) and with a lot of lights at times. Someone will need to correct me if my memory is right on that one, though. 

The top of act two is exactly the same, minus the audience revolve and Cinderella now enters from upstage. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#207BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

It's rather telling that my post regarding ALW haters mentioned no names, but those who responded to it immediately assumed it was about them.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

nativenewyorker2
#208BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

Yeah the show was ok. But the real disaster was the men’s room line during intermission. Each usher had a different idea of where the line was/started. It went all the way to the entrance to the theater 

akhoya87
#209BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:52am

Completely minor note, and the least of this show's problems, but I feel like the ball scene at the top of Act II is somewhat dangerous for the performers.  Using the turntable while trying to dance a full-speed Viennese waltz?  That's a recipe for a sprain or worse.

Also, did anyone see why one of the ensemble members had to wipe down the floor twice during the party scene?  Did someone spill something?  Or was there just a lot of sweat and people were slipping?

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#210BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 10:59am

Is there a gay storyline in this or is that in &.Juliet which I saw and loved?? I have my ticket for this in May. My sister who’s my traveling companion opted to see A Doll’s House instead. Lol 

nativenewyorker2
#211BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:16am

Will3700 said: "Is there a gay storyline in this or is that in &.Juliet which I saw and loved?? I have my ticket for this in May. My sister who’s my traveling companion opted to see A Doll’s House instead. Lol"

Kinda. Not until the second half of Act II and not with a main character.

Jordan Catalano
#212BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:17am

Funny though, on a rewatch or listen, all the hints are there in the Hunks’ song. 

defenses
#213BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:27am

Jordan Catalano said: "Funny though, on a rewatch or listen, all the hints are there in the Hunks’ song."

I accidentally saw that “spoiler” and so I found the hunks’ song very amusing. I was actually a little surprised because it’s super obvious once you know!

Jordan Catalano
#214BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:34am

Re: the Queen & Prince Charming

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

it’s always written where she sings about how hot he is and how “well equipped” but now she full on kisses him on the lips for a prolonged amount of time which is…weird. I laughed when it happened but now I’m not so sure it works or is needed  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#215BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:43am

Sorry if it’s been discussed but what do we think re: new lead vs Carrie? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#216BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:49am

binau said: "Sorry if it’s been discussed but what do we think re: new lead vs Carrie?"

This is the hardest question for me to answer. Linedy has a more “rebel” vibe to her whereas Carrie was more an “outcast” (at least that’s how I viewed them). If I were forced to choose which I prefer, I’d have to say Carrie. At least for now. I’m seeing this a couple more times before opening and excited to see how she evolves in the role - again, it’s first preview and I just know things are going to be changing. 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#217BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:58am

Sorry if someone answered already but, no audience revolve?

Jordan Catalano
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#219BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:00pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Nope."

After all that hubbub?! Lord. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#220BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:16pm

The revolve is a unique feature of the Gillian Lynne Theatre. It was never suggested by anyone involved with the show that it would be recreated for Broadway.

JasonC3
#221BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:28pm

Mad props to anyone ready to see this multiple times.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#222BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:30pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I wish the show would have gotten a gay man (or even a drag queen) to do rewrites and come in to consult"

FWIW, David Zippel is gay. But a 68-year-old gay man who was on this project from day 1 is probably not what this show needed.

Jordan Catalano
#223BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:40pm

I meant more for the book but yeah, they need Bianca Del Rio or something to come in and do some rewrites. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#224BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:54pm

Well, I am extremely excited to see this in a few weeks. It seems like a really fun night out even if it's far from perfect.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos