News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:36pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 4/23/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (12.5%), FAT HAM (12.1%), SUMMER, 1976 (7%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (6.9%), PICTURES FROM HOME (3.4%), NEW YORK, NEW YORK (2.9%), THE THANKSGIVING PLAY (2.8%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (1.7%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: BOB FOSSE'S DANCIN' (-16.6%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-14.5%), FUNNY GIRL (-7.1%), BAD CINDERELLA (-7%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-5.6%), PETER PAN GOES WRONG (-4.5%), CAMELOT (-4.1%), HADESTOWN (-3.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-3.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-2.8%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-2.7%), THE LION KING (-2.7%), & JULIET (-2.6%), LEOPOLDSTADT (-2%), PARADE (-2%), SHUCKED (-2%), WICKED (-1.6%), A DOLL'S HOUSE (-1.5%), PRIMA FACIE (-1.5%), LIFE OF PI (-1.4%), CHICAGO (-1.3%), SIX (-1%), ALADDIN (-1%), HAMILTON (-0.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

barcelona20
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:43pm

I guess people really love Josh Groban!

BETTY22
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:49pm

Some Like It Hot, Cinderella, Dancin, Kimberly and Shucked are in big trouble.

Can Tony nominations save any of the above? 

chrishuyen
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:56pm

Shucked's grosses are still looking pretty rough.  Summer 1976 has a surprisingly high average ticket price considering their gross as well (is this a subscription thing?).  A Beautiful Noise meanwhile has an okay capacity percentage but pretty good numbers so I guess it's mostly the people who aren't getting discount tickets that are going.

I really did not expect Prima Facie to do as well as it is, like yes it had the buzz from the Oliviers and everything, but so have other shows that have come over, and I didn't think Jodie Comer was a big enough name to garner this much interest.

I think there's a possibility of the Tonys helping Shucked, as it might add an air of "legitimacy" to the show, which people may not take as seriously.  Performances on the telecast for Some Like It Hot and Dancin' would probably help, and if Kimberly takes home Best Musical as expected, it'll probably get a nice bump from that.  I don't really think there's much that could help Cinderella at this point.

pablitonizer
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:58pm

BETTY22 said: "Some Like It Hot, Cinderella, Dancin, Kimberly and Shucked are in big trouble.

Can Tony nominations save any of the above?
"

I asked this same question last week about Life of Pi, Cinderella & Dancin' and users replied they're okay frown

Updated On: 4/25/23 at 01:58 PM

GoldenGiggery
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:58pm

-It's so strange to see the grosses without Phantom on it, that's going to take getting used to. 

-Despite a financial drop for many shows, it's good to see so many very full houses, including some meatier plays/newer shows. 

-Happy to see Fat Ham is on a strong upswing. Here's hoping awards season is kind to it, and that this continues to help its numbers. Fantastic show. Life Of Pi could use a similar boost. Amazing show visually, but surprised that the interest hasn't been as strong as it was on the West End. 

-The struggle-bus shows (SLIH, Dancin, Leopoldstadt, Bad Cinderella) continue to suffer. If SLIH doesn't garner any major wins for Ghee/Orchestrations/Choreo, they'll shut it down. If Dancin continues this drop, I except it to pack up by end of May; idk what they did on that stage, but it's not Fosse; it's ballet dancers doing a recital to his hits. Bad Cinderella....just put it out of its misery at this point, nothing will save it. What an embarrassing note to end your continuous Bway run with, Andy. And WOOF, Leopoldstadt either should've waited until February to start previews, or closed when it originally planned to; extending until July was an enormous miscalculation of interest. If this doesn't win Play and/or for Uranowitz, I definitely see them packing this up ASAP. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:01pm

Kimberly and SLIH have either savvy producers or deep pockets to hold out until nominations. I can’t see either shuttering before Labor Day

Shucked outgrossing Bad Cinderella is kind of hilarious in its own sad way.

Dancin’ will hold on at least until June - I can’t see it folding before then, especially if they plan on getting in a splashy Tonys number. I also see a “Revival of a Musical” nod coming their way.

I posted in another thread what my predictions for total nominations will be and I feel like the spread will be pretty even with SLIH coming out head and shoulders above everyone else

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

hache2
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:08pm

Agree SLIH, Dancin' and BC are in trouble. Leopoldstadt will probably struggle to make it to their July close.

KA small theater and cast so probably OK if they do well with the Tonys.

Shucked does not seem to be catching on despite them spending a ton on press but their producers claim to be very devoted to giving it time. I don't see it especially with Peter Pan Goes Wrong doing so well in the comedy genre.

Life of PI...not good if running costs are high with that complicated set.

GoldenGiggery
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:09pm

"Kimberly and SLIH have either savvy producers or deep pockets to hold out until nominations. I can’t see either shuttering before Labor Day"

True, Kimbo will be fine no doubt, I always find it amusing how many people on these boards think it's in trouble. It's going on tour soon, and since it's not eligible for a number of the outer awards, I have no doubt it will do quite well at the Tonys. It also needs the prestige for non-tri state audiences to have more interest in something that isn't a known property. 

"Shucked outgrossing Bad Cinderella is kind of hilarious in its own sad way."

I guess so? Shucked is actually a good show. The book is nothing special, but the performances are stellar, and the comedy is top notch. Bad Cinderella is a total mess (sans Grace and Carolee). Bway Audiences aren't as simple as is often joked about in these circles, and BC's numbers reflect that. 

Dancin’ will hold on at least until June - I can’t see it folding before then, especially if they plan on getting in a splashy Tonys number. I also see a “Revival of a Musical” nod coming their way.

Maybe until just after the Tony's, but not at the rate they're losing audiences. They might get a Revival nod, but there's not a chance of them beating Sweeney, Parade, or even Into The Woods. That would be a catastrophic upset. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:12pm

Kimberly Akimbo will take a more accelerated Strange Loop route: win Best Musical, see a 2-3 week bump in box office buoyed by locals, quickly decline the next few weeks, and announce closing for later in the summer. 

I loved this show, but I’m afraid it’s burnt out its audience in NYC. Hopefully word gets out when it goes on tour. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/25/23 at 02:12 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:14pm

quizking101 said: "Kimberly and SLIH have either savvy producers or deep pockets to hold out until nominations. I can’t see either shuttering before Labor Day

Shucked outgrossing Bad Cinderella is kind of hilarious in its own sad way.

I posted in another thread what my predictions for total nominations will be and I feel like the spread will be pretty even with SLIH coming out head and shoulders above everyone else

"

Dancin' is currently the show most likely to post a closing notice on May 2nd for a May 14th closure, the only way it won't is if it gets the best revival nomination, which at this point I would say the odds are only 30%. 

I'm very interested in how you think a show that opened to mixed reviews at best is walking away with as many nominations as to critically lauded revivals in Sweeny Todd and Parade?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:19pm

Bye Cinderella 

BossBroadway
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:26pm

Bad Cinderella's numbers are atrocious, but we should note the average ticket price went up to $74! That's (unfortunately) notable for this show. They just need to get butts in seats and aim for 75-80% capacity if they want to at least try and cover running costs.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:27pm

How I wish Steve Sondheim was alive to see these Sweeney Todd numbers.

Jarethan
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:35pm

Really find it interesting that FG still has the highest average ticket price, despite the sizable drop in attendance.  I expect that will pick up in a few weeks and do blockbuster business in the summer, as tourism increases and they start to advertise the firm closing date.

The only show from this season that sold out this week was Sweeney Todd…proof beyond a doubt that Groban is a big star on Broadway.

Updated On: 4/25/23 at 02:35 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:40pm

The prior week probably had a lot of tourists in town for school vacation week, hence some big drops. Aside from that, a couple of thoughts:

- These KIMBERLY grosses illustrate that this little show is very much not fine. There's no world in which a Broadway musical like this has a running cost of under $450K. (Probably closer to 550-600, but the creative team is likely on waivers now).

- We often say that a musical appealing to the traditional NY theater buyer –– DANCIN, in this case –– could get about 6-12 solid weeks before those buyers dry up and it tanks. Last week was its 8th week, and it dropped like a stone.

- Pleasantly surprised by PETER PAN. NPH is a big help building upon the existing "Wrong" brand, and his casting is a savvy move early in its run to boost WOM. All that said, I'm surprised that engagement is supposedly remaining "strictly limited," with a new Barrymore tenant to be announced as early as Friday...could it conceivably run it rep with the other "Wrong" play at NWS?

- NEW YORK NEW YORK is benefiting from major press coverage involving Lin-Manuel Miranda. The reviews probably won't help it, and like DANCIN there might be a ceiling to how long these numbers can last.

- It's been rumored on here that SOME LIKE IT HOT took out a loan already to ensure it can last til the Tonys. Its numbers are not quite as bad as some other shows.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:57pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Kimberly Akimbowill take a more acceleratedStrange Looproute: win Best Musical, see a 2-3 week bump in box office buoyed by locals, quickly decline the next few weeks, and announce closing for later in the summer.

I loved this show, but I’m afraid it’s burnt out its audience in NYC. Hopefully word gets out when it goes on tour.
"

You've been saying it's on the verge of closing for months now... At what point do you maybe wonder if you aren't as tuned into the financials of this show as you continuously confidently proclaim?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:59pm

Interestingly, “Some Like It Hot” pulled all their discount codes last week. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:00pm

pethian said: "How I wish Steve Sondheim was alive to see these Sweeney Todd numbers."

And, looking ahead, to see that Merrily is about to be a smash hit too! MERRILY, a smash hit. Who would have thunk. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:06pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE back over $1 million. I'd expect it to maintain that through the Tonys, even with few nominations likely. Their advance looks pretty solid. Interesting for them that their discount code is very limited. Matinees and Saturday evenings are excluded. And the code is only valid for rear orchestra and mezzanine.

I'd say Bad Cinderella and Dancin' will be the first two shows to post a closing notice after May 2.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:25pm

Depressing as the show may be, it is very encouraging to see the rock-solid numbers for Parade, week after week. Combine that with dazzling reviews and what’s sure to be a slew of Tony noms, and it comes as no surprise that an extension to Labor Day weekend will be announced soon.  

Oh look, a bibu!

MattieIce2018
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Pleasantly surprised byPETER PAN.NPH is a big help building upon the existing "Wrong" brand, and his casting is a savvy move early in its run to boost WOM. All that said, I'm surprised that engagement is supposedly remaining "strictly limited," with a new Barrymore tenant to be announced as early as Friday...could it conceivably run it rep with the other "Wrong" play at NWS?

The scenery for Pan is significantly different (and larger) than the original PTGW, including a turntable. The show also requires fly space (there are legs and borders framing the smaller sets which fly out when the set changes to Neverland) which I don't believe NWS has.

hearthemsing22
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:46pm

Hmm. Bad Cinderella only has tickets on sale through the end of June...do you think this means depending on what happens with the Tonys, they might close the run after?

JasonC3
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:46pm

I'm looking to see Akimbo again next week.  Checking every performance sadly reveals around 70% of the house unsold each day except Saturday.  The AKIMBO discount code expires 4/30, so they must be hoping on TKTS and Today's Tix or perhaps another code is in the offing.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/23
Posted: 4/25/23 at 3:50pm

MattieIce2018 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Pleasantly surprised byPETER PAN.NPH is a big help building upon the existing "Wrong" brand, and his casting is a savvy move early in its run to boost WOM. All that said, I'm surprised that engagement is supposedly remaining "strictly limited," with a new Barrymore tenant to be announced as early as Friday...could it conceivably run it rep with the other "Wrong" play at NWS?

The scenery for Pan is significantly different (and larger) than the original PTGW, including a turntable. The show also requires fly space (there are legs and borders framing the smaller sets which fly out when the set changes to Neverland) which I don't believe NWS has.
"

Agree there's no way that they could run it on the same set as the original. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they shuffle around some theatres to keep it running though. 

Right now that Spanish illusionist El Mago Pop is scheduled to come into the Barrymore for a couple weeks at the end of August, but I see no reason they couldn't put him in the Longacre, Jones, or another likely to be vacated Shubert House. Same goes for Harmony, although that might be a bit tougher because El Mago Pop can slot in between other tenants while Harmony can't. Moving El Mago Pop still buys them some time for an extension. 

Videos