News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:15pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/14/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: TINA - THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL (14.4%), POTUS: OR, BEHIND EVERY GREAT DUMBASS ARE SEVEN WOMEN TRYING TO KEEP HIM AL (12%), MR. SATURDAY NIGHT (6%), A STRANGE LOOP (4.4%), ALADDIN (2.2%), INTO THE WOODS (1.7%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.4%), CHICAGO (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: BEETLEJUICE (-8.7%), WICKED (-6%), SIX (-5.1%), THE KITE RUNNER (-5.1%), COME FROM AWAY (-5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-3.8%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-2.4%), FUNNY GIRL (-1.9%), HAMILTON (-1.1%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-1%), HADESTOWN (-0.9%), THE MUSIC MAN (-0.6%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

barcelona20
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:35pm

Into the Woods over $2M! Amazing!!

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:39pm

It’s showing up still as the week ending 8/7/22 when I click on the link. Is that just me?

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:39pm

musikman said: "It’s showing up still as the week ending 8/7/22 when I click on the link. Is that just me?"

Same.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jo
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:46pm

@MusicManBway has passed the $ 100 MILLION mark after 256 performances (including previews)!

As of Aug 7 : $97,361,520.99

For week ending Aug 14 : $2,784,927

TOTAL : $ 100, 146, 448! CONGRATULATIONS! 👏🥳

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:53pm

Jesus, those "Into the Woods" numbers are beautiful to see. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 1:09pm

I really wish Sondheim was here to enjoy the success of this revival. A critical AND financial hit. The Night Music and Sunday (2017) revivals were financial successes that recouped, but this is next level so far. 

Jordan Catalano
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 1:28pm

^ I’ve thought of that and can’t help but wonder if he were here if this revival would have even happened, in its current state. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 1:47pm

Jordan Catalano said: "^ I’ve thought of that and can’t help but wonder if he were here if this revival would have even happened, in its current state."

What do you mean by that?

Jordan Catalano
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 1:57pm

Of all his shows, “Into the Woods” is the one that (I feel) has gotten SO far away from what it should be and is again now, with this production. He never stopped tinkering with it and allowing all kinds of awful changes that just kept taking it further and further away from the perfect show it was in 1987. My point is, if he was here I don’t know for sure a “throwback” version without all the edits/additions etc. would have been allowed to happen. 

Rainah
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:04pm

Anyone else worried about Hadestown? They came back so successfully right after covid, but the grosses have gotten very soft. It's not in panic mode yet, but compared to where they were it's quite the decline. It's one of my favourite shows so I hope they can stabilize.

OhHiii
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:04pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Of all his shows, “Into the Woods” is the one that (I feel) has gotten SO far away from what it should be and is again now, with this production. He never stopped tinkering with it and allowing all kinds of awful changes that just kept taking it further and further away from the perfect show it was in 1987. My point is, if he was here I don’t know for sure a “throwback” version without all the edits/additions etc. would have been allowed to happen."

But he was directly involved with this production pre-shutdown, even so much as having a hand in casting (specifically, Julia Lester as Little Red). Do you mean in the transfer from Encores to Broadway, specifically? Because he certainly gave his blessing for Lear's production doing it as it was originally written prior to his death.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:09pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Of all his shows, “Into the Woods” is the one that (I feel) has gotten SO far away from what it should be and is again now, with this production. He never stopped tinkering with it and allowing all kinds of awful changes that just kept taking it further and further away from the perfect show it was in 1987. My point is, if he was here I don’t know for sure a “throwback” version without all the edits/additions etc. would have been allowed to happen."

Like the poster above said, it was my understanding that he was involved to some extent with the planning of the Encores production before his death. So I think he would have been very happy with it.

Jordan Catalano
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:09pm

I honestly didn’t know he had that input in this production. 

OhHiii
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:18pm

Rainah said: "Anyone else worried about Hadestown? They came back so successfully right after covid, but the grosses have gotten very soft. It's not in panic mode yet, but compared to where they were it's quite the decline. It's one of my favourite shows so I hope they can stabilize."

I wouldn't say they're from panic mode staring down the wasteland that is September/October, but shows with a more adult tilt tend to do better then the more family-friendly shows in the Fall whereas the opposite is typically true in the Summer. So we'll see.

I chalk some of Moulin Rouge's disappointing Summer grosses up to that. Families are just less likely to go to them. A prime example was Matilda/Kinky Boots sales trajectories. Matilda would do gangbusters in the Summer and Kinky Boots would have a stronger Fall. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 4:41pm

I’d be curious to know if Sondheim is on record talking about why he felt the need to tinker with ITW. Because it’s true that there have been a number of alterations to the text over the years, even aside from the ones with radically altered directorial interpretations.

In several other cases where Sondheim has made changes to a show later on, he has implemented those changes as mandatory in the officially-licensed versions (Merrily, Company, Assassins, Bounce/Road Show). Presumably it’s because he stood by those changes, and wanted them to be officially part of the text in their “final” form.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case with ITW, or with Sweeney Todd (which has a number of optional songs/verses). Which probably indicates that he wanted to try things out, but wasn’t necessarily DISsatisfied with the original versions enough to “ban” them. I wonder if he would even stand by the 2002 changes.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 8:48pm

Rainah said: "Anyone else worried about Hadestown? They came back so successfully right after covid, but the grosses have gotten very soft. It's not in panic mode yet, but compared to where they were it's quite the decline. It's one of my favourite shows so I hope they can stabilize."

I'm curious what their weekly costs are. It's a pretty small cast without any huge stars (even when Lilias joins, I'm sure she's not getting a MASSIVE paycheck), so I guess it depends on how much it costs to operate the set? While they've dropped prices and/or are selling a lot more tickets at discounted rates, they are still almost full every week. If it's still making some profits and still filling up, I don't think there would be incentive to shut it down.

Rainah
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 11:46am

My understanding is that Rachel learned a lesson with Comet (where the high costs doomed the show) and Hadestown is fairly lean for what it is. I believe that was also the reason for reducing the chorus when it transferred to Broadway - at the national theatre they had a chorus of 7 vs 5

Jarethan
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 11:52am

Disappointed that POTUS was unable to move to a smaller theatre and extend.  I am not sure how it will do in regional theatre because of the constant use of the C word.  There are a lot of prudes out there in the hinterlands.

I am hoping that it finds its way to Netflix, though i don't hold up much hope for it.  It is one of those rare shows (for me) where the passage of time has made me more fond of its silliness and terrific comic acting and staging.

nasty_khakis
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 12:01pm

Jarethan said: "Disappointed that POTUS was unable to move to a smaller theatre and extend. I am not sure how it will do in regional theatre because of the constant use of the C word. There are a lot of prudes out there in the hinterlands."

I don't think that will deter regionals much except in super conservative areas. I actually think it will do REALLY well since it's an age and ethnically diverse female cast. I walked out thinking that especially every college theatre program is going to do this in the next 5 years.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 1:12pm

jkcohen626 said: "Rainah said: "Anyone else worried about Hadestown? They came back so successfully right after covid, but the grosses have gotten very soft. It's not in panic mode yet, but compared to where they were it's quite the decline. It's one of my favourite shows so I hope they can stabilize."

I'm curious what their weekly costs are. It's a pretty small cast without any huge stars (even when Lilias joins, I'm sure she's not getting a MASSIVE paycheck), so I guess it depends on how much it costs to operate the set? While they've dropped prices and/or are selling a lot more tickets at discounted rates, they are still almost full every week. If it's still making some profits and still filling up, I don't think there would be incentive to shut it down.
"

I feel like the Kerr is a very sought after theater. So that's probably the only issue. Something better waiting in the wings. 

Andres LaFrazia
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 8:13pm

Into The Woods Breaks 2 Million, Beetlejuice In Trouble? Music Man Hits 10 Million

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjG6FvSvgYo

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 9:12pm

Andres LaFrazia said: "Into The Woods Breaks 2 Million, Beetlejuice In Trouble? Music Man Hits 10 Million

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjG6FvSvgYo

"

Music Man Has hit 100 Million not 10 Million.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 10:04pm

Rainah said: "My understanding is that Rachel learned a lesson with Comet (where the high costs doomed the show) and Hadestown is fairly lean for what it is. I believe that was also the reason for reducing the chorus when it transferred to Broadway - at the national theatre they had a chorus of 7 vs 5"

The workers chorus of 5 is perfect for Broadway -it doesn't need to be 7.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/14/22
Posted: 8/17/22 at 10:43pm

Robbie2 said: "Rainah said: "My understanding is that Rachel learned a lesson with Comet (where the high costs doomed the show) and Hadestown is fairly lean for what it is. I believe that was also the reason for reducing the chorus when it transferred to Broadway - at the national theatre they had a chorus of 7 vs 5"

The workers chorus of 5 is perfect for Broadway -it doesn't need to be 7.
"

The set also had to considerably shrink in scale to fit into the Kerr. If you’ve seen the bootleg on YouTube, the turntables were much bigger at the National. I don’t think 2 more ensemble members would even really fit on the Kerr stage.

Videos