News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Real Estate 2024-25- Page 2

Broadway Real Estate 2024-25

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#25Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 6:52pm

I thought they’re a contracted six month break before going back on tour. The cast only had a two week break between tour and Broadway rehearsals. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#26Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 7:19pm

Broadway Flash said: "And lots of theatre stans hate the great gatsby. I also think it’s nonsense to say it’s an easy sell. How many popular titles like Groundhog Day or Mrs Doubtfire have we seen flop on Broadway? Cabaret is a glamorous show and the producers feel like it can’t run on its title alone. They need stars. I think Jeremy and Eva are a huge draw for people."

We can agree to disagree about the star power thing. I think it’s about the intersection of the “name brand” and the glamour that comes with it. Groundhog Day and Doubtfire don’t scream “glamour” and “big Broadway” the way Gatsby does by name recognition alone. Simultaneously, Cabaret is first and foremost known to be a Broadway musical before anything else. It’s very famous one, don’t get me wrong — but the middle aged suburban family who is intrigued by that of name brand movie adaptations like the Doubtfires and Gatsby’s and BTTFs of the world are probably not going out of their way for more uniquely *Broadway* properties like Cabaret even if it is glamorous and may appease them — which is exactly why stunt casting and draws beyond that of the title alone do so much heavy lifting for the Cabarets’ and Merrily’s and Company’s and Into the Woods’ of Broadway.

If it wasn’t an easy sell by name recognition alone, the rush to Broadway from Papermill and feud with the other Gatsby wouldn’t exist the way it does. Chunsoo Shin probably wouldn’t have taken the gamble on going into such a barn of a theatre, nor would the Shuberts have offered it. I’m not saying I think it’ll recoup or go 2-3 years even, but … c’mon.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 07:19 PM

bigbelterbaby
#27Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/9/24 at 9:36am

Last season had 36 new productions, right now there are 20 announced for this season. With only a few theatres open. If it means shows are doing well critically/commercially and heading toward recoupment, we have to consider that a win. Even if it means less new shows. Also another reason we need more legitimate theatre spaces. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#28Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/9/24 at 9:39am

bigbelterbaby said: "Last season had 36 new productions, right now there are 20 announced for this season. With only a few theatres open. If it means shows are doing well critically/commercially and heading toward recoupment, we have to consider that a win. Even if it means less new shows. Also another reason we need more legitimate theatre spaces.”

Last I counted, there were 25 productions this season that have announced specific dates for first preview and/or opening night. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/9/24 at 09:39 AM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#29Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:35am

There are MANY plays that are coming to Broadway in the spring. And probably a few musicals as well. I think January we will see a good number of shows closing. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#30Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:54am

I wouldn’t be surprised if this season sees as many or even more new shows opening than last season. Whichever they might be, there will certainly be more shows closing throughout the season, opening up more theaters for new productions. And there’s no shortage of productions trying to come in!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#31Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/9/24 at 12:38pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "JSquared2 said: "Yes, ELF at the Marquis this holiday season is the rumor -- and Josh Gad just went live on IG to say that he'll have a big announcement tomorrow morning -- so it seems to be happening."

...has Josh Gad been rumored to be in ELF? I didn't expect they'd get anyone remotely notable for it, but he'dboth help sales for family audiences and add a level of legitimacy for the snobs.
"

Josh Gad's announcement was that he's written a memoir.

Where were you getting anything about his involvement with ELF?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:58pm

DEAD OUTLAW appears headed to Broadway in the Spring. Anyone know what theater it's looking at?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#33Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/11/24 at 6:07pm

ACL2006 said: "DEAD OUTLAW appears headed to Broadway in the Spring. Anyone know what theater it's looking at?"

Hearing the Barrymore after Our Town.

Oh look, a bibu!

Broadway Flash
#34Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/11/24 at 6:13pm

It’s the smallest show on the planet, it really feels like an off broadway show. And I never say that.  I always want things to come to broadway but I just felt like dead outlaw is a completely pointless waste of space. I’m holding out hope that TEETH will come to broadway and HERE WE ARE

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#35Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/11/24 at 6:43pm

Ah yes, the age-old "size matters" argument. Thankfully, there are a range of theatres, and for that matter, tastes. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#36Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/12/24 at 9:26am

The reviews for DEAD OUTLAW were very strong. Could just be a push for some Tony Awards. They would likely be better off in The Booth, but the Barrymore can work out, too.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/12/24 at 9:32am

If "Oh, Mary" and "A Band's Visit" can make it work, I think they'll be fine.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#38Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 12:03pm

With so many shows incoming, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's following The Wiz into the Marquis. I know that it's no one's favorite theater, but are there ANY rumors around what might take it?

chrishuyen
#39Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 12:09pm

Sauja said: "With so many shows incoming, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's following The Wiz into the Marquis. I know that it's no one's favorite theater, but are there ANY rumors around what might take it?"

The rumor that's been floating around is Elf for a holiday engagement

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#40Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 12:28pm

REDWOODS is taking the Nederlander starting January 25th.

theatergoer3
#41Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 12:33pm

Sauja said: "With so many shows incoming, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's following The Wiz into the Marquis. I know that it's no one's favorite theater, but are there ANY rumors around what might take it?"

Elf for the holidays

Stranger Things for the spring 

So with Redwood going to the Nederlander, that leaves 4 shows without a theater 

The Last Five Years

Good Night and Good Luck

Boop

Othello

Last Five announces on Monday with tickets.

Going to assume Booth or Circle unless we get a surprise close/limited run only announcement. 

Broadway Flash
#42Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 1:27pm

There’s also the Lyceum and Motive and the Cue needs a home in the spring too.  And Dead Outlaw.  And that play with the girl from Succession snook

amiyagi
#43Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/16/24 at 7:18pm

Broadway Flash said: "There’s also the Lyceum and Motive and the Cue needs a home in the spring too. And Dead Outlaw. And that play with the girl from Succession snook"

You mean The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I think Smash has been announced as well but no theatre.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#44Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/17/24 at 2:27pm

Boop to the Broadhurst in Spring takes the list on page 1 of this thread to 7 theaters definitely available at least by Spring. 

I’m rooting for at least one out-of-left-field show that no one is talking about to surprise us and come in.

Broadway Flash
#45Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/17/24 at 5:45pm

Which one?  Bug? 

theatergoer3
#46Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/21/24 at 12:16pm

If The Last Five Years takes the Hudson and Boop has the Broadhurst, that leaves (as of right now) the officially announced (Othello, Smash, Good NIght and Good Luck) with the Booth, Circle in The Square & Lyceum/Golden (pending extensions) 

Plus the rumored/not official - 

Motive & Cue

Dead Outlaw

First Shadow 

Dorian Grey 

Updated On: 7/21/24 at 12:16 PM

OuttaTowner
#47Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/21/24 at 1:52pm

The Marquis will also be available after The Wiz departs on 8/18. 

Broadway Flash
#48Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/21/24 at 2:29pm

I’m assuming the Barrymore will go to Othello.  The Jones is also open for the spring 

theatergoer3
#49Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 8/3/24 at 7:53am

Between here, Reddit and Theaterboard, there's been a flurry of new rumored theater tenants.

Putting them all here to see if any of them have merit because a lot of them overlap. 

Golden - Operation Mincemeat, Next to Normal, The Picture of Dorian Grey or Good Night & Good Luck

Booth - Next to Normal, Good Night and Good Luck, Purpose 

Jones - Othello 

Imperial - Smash 

Barrymore - Dead Outlaw

Music Box ? - The Motive and The Cue

Schoenfeld - Good Night & Good Luck 

Belasco or Lyceum - Gun & Powder

Circle in the Square - Just in Time 

Hayes - Little Bear Ridge Road

Marquis - Elf, Stranger Things: The First Shadow, Smash 

Updated On: 8/5/24 at 07:53 AM

Videos