News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews- Page 6

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#125ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:35pm

Wow! Curly hair? I almost wondered if they were part of the production because they mimicked the action on the stage.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#126ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:43pm

ljay889 said: "Well I was very excited to see this show tonight but my experience was completely ruined by two awful audience memeberswho ruined the enjoyment of the show for the people in rows A-C on the even side. I was in C114 and the male and female were in B on the aisle, mind you, this aisle is used heavily for various cast members to enter and depart the stage. The seemingly intoxicated couple arrived just a minute before the show began, the male finished his canned beverage which was tossed on the ground, and he began to recite the opening lines of the show with the actors.

Throughout the show the couple repeatedly spoke to each other, sang out loud, danced in their seats, held each other, and made the most distracting gestures that could be seen throughout the theater. The male texted several times, and finally an usher told him to stop texting. They both left their seats, at one point, to do god knows what, just missing the actors who needed this important aisle for the entrances and exits.

Then they come back, and my heart drops. They begin singing and dancing again, and lifting their sippy cups to the light. Finally, a major sigh of relief, the house manager or someone on the staff reprimanded them, and she sat in an empty seat on the opposite aisle to monitor them. The female gets up to leave again, and the male starts texting again, the house staff member reprimanded him again and the couple in front of them seemed to agree this was ridiculous. Then the male leaves as the female is still gone. Finally I can try to enjoy the show. Eventually the house staff member takes all of their belongings and I assume they were kicked out of the house. While I am thankful the staff member went to these extremes, it was a little too late. At this point, it was “The Ball”and I got to concentrate on the rest of the show but the majority of the show was ruined for me. Their behavior was so distracting and took me out of the action until they were removed from the theater. Other audience members kept looking at them during their shenanigans, I wasnt the only one distracted. Im sure the actors on stage were aware of it as well as this was only two rows in. There was a production member next to me taking notes and relaying messages on walky talky. His voice could barely be heard, unlike the couple. Maybe he signaled house staff to get involved. Anyway. The production and talent on stage was AMAZING, I just wish I got to enjoy it fully.
"

I would try finding a way to get in touch with the house manager since they seemed to be aware of the problem. That’s terrible that happened to you. 

greenifyme2
#127ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:53pm

ljay889 said: "Wow! Curly hair? I almost wondered if they were part of the production because they mimicked the action on the stage. "

Dm’d You 

lucas42
#128ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 11:41pm

If the show does well, hopefully they will decide to record a cast album.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#129ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/23/17 at 9:53am

They had the kids on at the parade, so I'm guessing the kids were off to rest.

And a while back, someone asked me about the rain. I was at the first preview, so I guess I didn't see the rain or feel the wind bc I was in the way back. 

greenifyme2
#130ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/23/17 at 3:54pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "They had the kids on at the parade, so I'm guessing the kids were off to rest.

And a while back, someone asked me about the rain. I was at the first preview, so I guess I didn't see the rain or feel the wind bc I was in the way back.
"

The rain was intense. If it was raining you definitely would have seen it!

PatrickDennis92
#131ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:17pm

So I seem to be in the minority on this thread at least, but I didn’t particularly enjoy this show. It wasn’t offensively bad or anything and I think it was well done, but I just found the show itself to be pretty boring. I don’t think this is a spoiler— Watching the actors mill around before the show with the goat and do their thing was honestly more interesting than most of the production. When I walked into the room the vibe was great, and seemed like we’d be getting some excellent theatre, but it just never came. For me at least. I found myself not caring about the leads and wondering about her parents back home etc. The lead actress has an amazing voice, but it still didn’t keep me interested in the show. I would say I thought it was well directed, even though I understand the criticism that it’s over directed. I think maybe it seems over directed because the meticulous and deliberate direction does so clearly overpower the wandering and vanilla material, in my opinion, that it doesn’t balance well. However, I think this is preferable in this case, where the material is so weak. Lastly, and I say this with sympathy because producing is hard, but I felt like I was surrounded by plants in the audience. People overly eager to applaud, beginning before it was natural after songs, and leaping to their feet when it was over, and clapping along during some big number near the end where the audience is supposed to be into it and very obviously is not, except for the few regulars in attendance, all around us. I found this unsettling. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much in the way of financial hope for this show, which I imagine will post closing in January. But I do think it’ll get some nominations. It just isn’t competitive financially at the present time.

smallvillefan16
#132ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:31pm

I can't stop watching the preview of the show. I absolutely love the actress in the red dress.  I am not familiar with the show, but would love to know who she is and what role she plays.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#133ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/25/17 at 9:55pm

smallvillefan16 said: "I can't stop watching the preview of the show. I absolutely love the actress in the red dress. I am not familiar with the show, but would love to know who she is and what role she plays."

That's Hailey Kilgore, she plays the lead, Ti Moune. 

smallvillefan16
#134ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/25/17 at 11:50pm

Thank you!

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#135ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/26/17 at 10:54am

Had the chance to see this and I am completely blown away. Circle in the Square is one of my favorite spaces and walking into the theater, I knew I was in for an experience.

I sat in row C, in the lower odd 200s - fantastic seats!

I really thought everything was so well done. I’ll admit that the only reason I wanted to see the show was because of Lea Salonga, but I am beyond thrilled to say that I was taken away by so much more.

There isn’t a weak link here. Every actor is enthralling and I want to see it many more times to watch everyone - particularly the gods. For me, Merle Dandridge is a standout.

While there’s a lot of season left and I’m in the minority here because of Katrina Lenk, but Hailey Kilgore for the Tony.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#136ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 10:40am

PatrickDennis92 said: "So I seem to be in the minority on this thread at least, but I didn’t particularly enjoy this show. It wasn’t offensively bad or anything and I think it was well done, but I just found the show itself to be pretty boring. I don’t think this is a spoiler— Watching the actors mill around before the show with the goat and do their thing was honestly more interesting than most of the production. When I walked into the room the vibe was great, and seemed like we’d be getting some excellent theatre, but it just never came. For me at least. I found myself not caring about the leads and wondering about her parents back home etc. The lead actress has an amazing voice, but it still didn’t keep me interested in the show. I would say I thought it was well directed, even though I understand the criticism that it’s over directed. I think maybe it seems over directed because the meticulous and deliberate direction does so clearly overpower the wandering and vanilla material, in my opinion, that it doesn’t balance well. However, I think this is preferable in this case, where the material is so weak. Lastly, and I say this with sympathy because producing is hard, but I felt like I was surrounded by plants in the audience. People overly eager to applaud, beginning before it was natural after songs, and leaping to their feet when it was over, and clapping along during some big number near the end where the audience is supposed to be into it and very obviously is not, except for the few regulars in attendance, all around us. I found this unsettling. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much in the way of financial hope for this show, which I imagine will post closing in January. But I do think it’ll get some nominations. It just isn’t competitive financially at the present time."

Setting aside the fact that I find it hard to believe that anyone with a beating heart and a functioning soul could possibly find this production "boring", I want to compliment you on your amazing psychic abilities-----that is, your stunning ability to reach into audience members' heads and find out that they are "plants" rather than just enthusiastic ticket buyers. Bravo to you also for knowing who the "few regulars in attendance" were., whatever the hell that means. Also, I want to applaud you for being able to see into the future to discover that the musical will close in January. For something that is not "competitive financially at the present time", it certainly has been selling out all sorts of performances. In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about. 

PatrickDennis92
#137ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 12:25pm

Lol ok.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#138ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 1:54pm

Saw the show in its original production in the early 90s, and loved it. Sadly, it opened early in the season, and  a latecomer such as WILL ROGERS FOLLIES swept up most of the major awards (doubt we'll ever see a revival of that turkey). Somehow missed the reunion concert some years ago, but was thrilled to see it revived now, and was not disappointed. Yes, La Chanze was amazing as the original Ti Moune, but this whole cast was terrific, with special kudos to Alex Newell (did not know role was played by a man, duh). A great show in a great production, with a beautiful score. Hard to imagine anyone being bored by it. Hope it gets the great critical reaction it deserves.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#139ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 3:15pm

Disappointing to hear in the promo clip that they lowered “Waiting for Life”. I must admit that Kilgore has not impressed me in any of the promo footage.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#140ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 7:03pm

Saw this over the weekend and it was just magnificent.  Beautiful show by a true ensemble cast.

Brilliant production that I hope to see a few more times in the coming months.

sylvesterbird Profile Photo
sylvesterbird
#141ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 8:23pm

I'm a little late to the discussion Blaxx, but I went in not knowing much about the show and found myself with similar misgivings as I was watching it. I love the score (it is also GORGEOUSLY orchestrated; a vast improvement over the original cast album in my opinion), the actors were phenomenal, and I found the staging and overall design really fun and interesting to watch. But as you said, the whole "girl throws life away for boy who treats her horribly" plot is problematic, and definitely kept me from getting completely emotionally involved. BUT THEN we got to Why We Tell the Story...(not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but I'll play it safe)

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

...and the lyrics,

So I hope that you will tell this tale tomorrow
It will help your heart remember and relive
It will help you feel the anger and the sorrow
And forgive

I'm not sure how this verse was staged in the original production, but in this production Ti Moune makes her entrance on that last line; with how everything is staged, that moment hit me like a punch in the gut. It kind of re-framed the whole show for me, in that the focus is not on the love story, or even in her sacrifice, but on Ti Moune's choice to keep herself open to those who have done terrible things to her. Her refusal to let past pain, both her personal pain and the historical pain in the island's history, dictate her response makes that moment one of immense strength, and one that arises purely out of her own personal choice. 

I think it also greatly helps that Powell makes a very young Daniel. It doesn't excuse his actions (or really, inaction), but it does soften the character a bit - instead of callousness, his treatment of Ti Moune reads more as the unthinking actions of a teen boy, who doesn't really understand the harm he is inflicting. Even at the end, his denial of Ti Moune comes across more with a sense of helplessness than malice. 

With all that said, I absolutely loved the show and went back to see it the next week (lucky with the lottery). I did not find Arden's direction distracting at all, and loved how much the designers did using very "old-fashioned" , manual stagecraft (pulley systems, the shadow puppet show, manually changing the set). It was all very much in the spirit of a community coming together. 

Side note: No children came out in the end the second time I saw it. That was Thanksgiving week, which might mean the kids are still in the show, but I actually found them unnecessary. Without them, the young girl tells the story back to the cast, and I loved the sense that she was now participating in this ritual with them.  

Updated On: 11/27/17 at 08:23 PM

PatrickDennis92
#142ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/27/17 at 8:36pm

Children... are expensive.

rjm516
#143ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:45am

I was at the first preview so I love hearing about the changes they're making - although I hope there aren't too many, because I was enthralled the entire time. I absolutely loved it. Mind you the only thing I ever knew about this show was Audra's rendition of "Come Down From That Tree" which wasn't even in this production! So I was blown away. The only thing I didn't love was the army of children who ran down at the end so I'd be happy if they cut them. It made it seem a little amateur. So unnecessary! 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#144ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:17am

The kids didn’t appear last week ( at least confirmed from Wed-Sat), so it’s safe to say they are gone for good.

bwayobsessed
#145ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 6:47pm

There were 50 lotto tickets tonight and 20 lotto loser tickets, literally everyone got a ticket.

yaoqian
#146ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:11pm

rjm516 said: "I was at the first preview so I love hearing about the changes they're making - although I hope there aren't too many, because I was enthralled the entire time. I absolutely loved it. Mind you the only thing I ever knew about this show was Audra's rendition of "Come Down From That Tree" which wasn't even in this production! So I was blown away. The only thing I didn't love was the army of children who ran down at the end so I'd be happy if they cut them. It made it seem a little amateur. So unnecessary!"

Yup, I went to the show on Friday and Saturday and the kids were gone. Glad they weren't there because I can imagine how they can ruin the experience a little... and cost a lot for the production at the same time. 

Also funny story, when I went to stage door, one of the male actors (so sorry can't remember who...) was talking about how many changes they are making, and when we asked him what they changed, he jokingly replied, "literally everything, I feel like they are changing just for the sake of changing", haha. He was like, "you'll probably come back a week later and be like, 'hmm, that wasn't there!' the entire show".

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#147ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:33pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Disappointing to hear in the promo clip that they lowered “Waiting for Life”. I must admit that Kilgore has not impressed me in any of the promo footage."

Kilgore is a gorgeous young triple threat "Star to be".

Why would you second guess the Director, the Composers, the Musical Director, etc. etc. etc. that the score is being presented in the best way possible? Because it is and the vocals of all the cast are beyond wonderful. What was so great about the original key anyway. Hailey's version of WAITING FOR LIFE has been a standout and showstopper each time I have seen the Show (3 times and counting). 

bwaylvsong
#148ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:42pm

^I completely agree. Also, I would bet that she sang the song in the original key during the audition process, and obviously did so well enough to get cast. My guess is that lowering the key was the music director's decision, likely because it simply fits her voice better and is less taxing for someone so young to sing eight times a week.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#149ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:03pm

Did they actually lower the key? It couldn't be more than just a step. If so, I'm happy they did. It sits perfectly in her voice.

Videos