News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews- Page 8

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#175ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 6:02pm

Agreed--he's making bold statements without much follow through (which coincidentally he calls out critics for doing). This is one big reach for me. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#176ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 6:09pm

LizzieCurry said: "Bumping for Brandon Victor Dixon's thoughtful take:

https://www.facebook.com/brandonvdixon/posts/10214279190431767
"

I can never understand the arguments that this show shouldn't run because it's "problematic." Frankly, that's exactly why it should run, imo. No one leaves the theater thinking "Wow, one day I want to be like Ti Moune and sacrifice myself for a man who doesn't really love me!" No—they leave thinking very similar thoughts to Mr. Dixon: "That was really messed up," and it sparks a dialogue.

I mean, I saw it a few weeks ago with a group from my school. All high school-aged kids, including three black girls all almost the same age as Kilgore. None of us took away the idea that Daniel/Ti Moune had some sort of great, Romeo and Juliet-esque love story. We saw the story of an overly optimistic girl who fell in love with a guy who took advantage of her. And maybe—maybe—they could have been together for real if it weren't for the race/class barriers that forced them into their roles. But they weren't. And sometimes that's just the horrible reality of things.

We didn't need it spelt out for us, nor did we think the show needed to go just because there's no great message at the end. It is what it is, and as long as people walk away from it knowing that it is extremely problematic, then I really do have trouble seeing the issue. 

(Of course, these are just my opinions. I would be happy to hear other sides of this discussion as I'm genuinely having some trouble seeing why people take such issue with this.) 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#177ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 6:30pm

Just self destructive SJW talk that makes all of us liberals who can think for ourselves look bad.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#178ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 6:41pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Just self destructive SJW talk that makes all of us liberals who can think for ourselves look bad."

ew

Updated On: 1/2/18 at 06:41 PM

GeorgeandDot
#179ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 7:18pm

SJWs are not good. I agree with about 95% of their beliefs, but they're bandwagon jumping, lynch mobs who have no real opinion outside of their social media accounts because all it is, is an act to get likes and retweets. They hardly ever take any real action aside from posting about how the way a musical or film didn't seem to align 100% with their fake beliefs.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#180ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 7:46pm

GeorgeandDot said: "SJWs are not good. I agree with about 95% of their beliefs, but they're bandwagon jumping, lynch mobs who have no real opinion outside of their social media accounts because all it is, is an act to get likes and retweets. They hardly ever take any real action aside from posting about how the way a musical or film didn't seem to align 100% with their fake beliefs."

Quadruple ew. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-google-chrome-extension-replaces-political-correctness-with-something-more-accurate_us_55c82605e4b0923c12bd4a91

GeorgeandDot
#181ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/2/18 at 8:29pm

Nice article. Don't really understand what it has to do with anything here.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#182ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 10:48am

Daniel isn't white. The actor playing Daniel in the current Broadway production (Isaac Powell) isn't white, nor is the actor who originated the role (Jerry Dixon). Yet BVD and several people on Twitter have referred to both the character and the actor as white, with no pushback. I also saw one Twitter user refer to Powell as "white passing," an extremely questionable term when used in reference to how one perceives another person's racial/ethnic heritage. I am all for genuine reactions to art and thoughtful examinations of what some find problematic, but it disturbs me when people twist the narrative to support their reading of something.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

hamiltonstradition
#183ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 11:36am

AC126748 said: "Daniel isn't white. The actor playing Daniel in the current Broadway production (Isaac Powell) isn't white, nor is the actor who originated the role (Jerry Dixon). Yet BVD and several people on Twitter have referred to both the character and the actor as white, with no pushback. I also saw one Twitter user refer to Powell as "white passing," an extremely questionable term when used in reference to how one perceives another person's racial/ethnic heritage. I am all for genuine reactions to art and thoughtful examinations of what some find problematic, but it disturbs me when people twist the narrative to support their reading of something.

"

As a mixed person myself, It bothers me so much, and this is just an example of how the mixed racial community is often overlooked or mis-identified. Even by people of Color. I was so happy that this show was able to portray mixed people and clearly identify them as mixed.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#184ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:20pm

There are some further interesting comments on both sides of the question on Instagram, Twitter and the aforementioned Facebook, including some additional responses from BVD on Instagram at least (my access level won't let me thoroughly check for any additional responses on the other platforms). Agree with him or not, to his credit he does seem to be trying to keep the discussion respectful, as originally claimed. He's also encouraging people to see the show for themselves and make up their own minds. A refreshing contrast in this age of "somebody said X is offensive and so I am never ever going to read/watch it for myself and anyone who does is horrible OMG".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BddfeNplYCQ/?taken-by=brandonvdixon

https://twitter.com/BrandonVDixon/status/948294066080534533

https://www.facebook.com/brandonvdixon/posts/10214279190431767

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#185ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:39pm

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
Updated On: 1/3/18 at 04:39 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#186ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:52pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I may be in the minority when i saw this but, i always ask myself why does everything have to be a race thing? "

oh boy

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#187ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:56pm

Yeah. After re-reading what i wrote... yikes.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

broadwayboy223
#188ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 5:05pm

I have been in OOTI before and while it wasn't an ideal situation (mostly white cast) I think the humanity of the show is what makes it special. Yes absolutely it's horrible what happens to Ti Moune and basically she is reduced to potentially being a mistress, but it's her death that brings about the eventual equality on the island. The storytellers are putting on the story of Ti Moune to show that. If you should take away anything from OOTI it should be the humanity and spirit of the morals and story. Just my opinion...

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#189ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 7:23pm

"in the context of the show he visually appears white..The visual is what carries the message. Not the true substance of his person. That's what racism and colorism are about. Surface." - from BVD's instagram in the comments of his post...does anyone else find that kinda....icky? 

Also should point out that I think news of this post got around to Isaac Powell, as he posted in his instagram story yesterday an image that had the phrase "but he looks white" written multiple times around a statement that said "people of color come in all shades," or something of that sort. I didn't think to get a screenshot of it, but clearly something had upset him. BVD is essentially saying "but he looks white," is the entire issue with the show, and that's terrible, imo. Treating "white-passing" members of the black community as if they don't belong has been a major issue for a long time, but BVD seems incredibly uninterested in that. 

Updated On: 1/3/18 at 07:23 PM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#190ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/3/18 at 8:06pm

leighmiserables said: ""in the context of the show he visually appears white..The visual is what carries the message. Not the true substance of his person. That's what racism and colorism are about. Surface." - from BVD's instagram in the comments of his post...does anyone else find that kinda....icky?

Also should point out that I think news of this post got around to Isaac Powell, as he posted in his instagram story yesterday an image that had the phrase "but he looks white" written multiple times around a statement that said "people of color come in all shades," or something of that sort. I didn't think to get a screenshot of it, but clearly something hadupset him. BVD is essentially saying "but he looks white," is the entire issue with the show, and that's terrible, imo. Treating "white-passing" members of the black community as if they don't belong has been a major issue for a long time, but BVD seems incredibly uninterested in that.
"

Yes! It is literally the **point of the entire show**

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#191ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 7:06am

Apparently last night somebody was filming in the first row and trying to talk to Hailey, does anyone know if that's true?

ellbellthomps
#192ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 8:01am

Yep, they were. They also swore and ate. She stopped the show because the ushers couldnt get the person out.

hamiltonstradition
#193ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 8:19am

ellbellthomps said: "Yep, they were. They also swore and ate.She stopped the show because the ushers couldnt get the person out."

Wow, sources? I would like to hear more about it!

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#194ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 8:25am

they had a show last night? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#195ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 10:23am

WldKingdomHM said: "they had a show last night?"

Why wouldn't they?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#196ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 11:40am

They only have a matinee on Wednesday. The incident in question happened at the matinee, apparently.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

pupscotch
#197ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 12:35pm

I was at the matinee and can confirm that Hailey did stop the show and call for stage management, who couldn’t make it down to remove the patrons, so the show continued anyway afterwards.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#198ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 11:22pm

Whoa! Now I'm curious --- how come stage management couldn't remove those patrons on the front row?!? Wouldn't this be a security issue for the actors?!? 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#199ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 11:41pm

The Latinos ate and talked through the Evita revival and no one removed them either  ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos