News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews- Page 9

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#200ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/4/18 at 11:59pm

blaxx said: "The Latinos ate and talked through the Evita revival and no one removed them either ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews"

What kind of reaction do you expect from this comment? Because it’s very ignorant in many ways 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#201ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/8/18 at 10:15pm

Saw this tonight. OMG, I can’t wait to be TWICE on this island. Everything about it feels so fresh and impactful, and the staging reminds me of my days in Ghana, kind of disorganized but also beautiful because of the disorganization. The cast seems to be enjoying every second of this, and perphas ironically it doesn’t feel artificial at all despite the more fantasy side of the story. Also arrive early, because you don’t want to miss the cute goat (I love animalsONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews ) and a chance to talk with the amazing cast.

Dancingthrulife2
#202ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/8/18 at 10:28pm

Also, does anyone feel this story is pretty much an adaptation of The Little Mermaid (not the Disney downgrade)?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#203ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/8/18 at 10:32pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Also, does anyone feel this story is pretty much an adaptation of The Little Mermaid (not the Disney downgrade)?"

It is. It’s based on Rosa Guy’s novel “My Love, My Love”. Her retelling of The Little Mermaid. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#204ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/22/18 at 11:49am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "arrive early, because you don’t want to miss the cute goat"

I love goats. Do your seats have to be in a particular area to see him?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#205ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/22/18 at 1:35pm

I recently saw this production again, this time with Tamyra Gray and Norm Lewis and I realized that I never wrote a review.

First of all, this set really is marvelous. It's used so well and serves the show beautifully. I love the pre-show with the Goat (which, to answer a poster above, you do not need to be in a certain spot to see) and Kenita Miller cuddling a chicken. I love the way in which some of the relationships between the characters in the show are established here. Clint Ramos' costumes are vibrant, creative, and wonderfully imaginative. The lighting is stunning and colorful and this show has some of the most effective stage pictures and stage magic that I have seen in a long time. Arden and his creatives have done remarkable work here.

The vocals in this production are killer. It felt like every song brought the house down. Starobin's orchestrations and the new vocal arrangements (I don't recall who did those off the top of my head) are far superior to the originals and inject the show with some electricity. Lea Salonga still has one of the sweetest voices ever and she sounds phenomenal, but never pulls attention from the other cast members. This really is an ensemble show. Hailey is beautiful and really makes you fall for Ti Moune. Phillip Boykin is amazing as always as is Kenita Miller who recieved audible sniffling during "Ti Moune." Tamyra Gray has a great voice and is a wonderful successor to Merle Dandridge, but she doesn't make Papa Ge as much of a standout role as when Merle was playing it. Norm as Agwe is an improvement for me. He has one of the best voices out there. The real standout of the evening, however was Alex Newell who gives a hilarious and warm performance as Asaka. He has recieved a standing ovation every single time I have seen the show and this time it lasted for about a minute. He's giving a real star turn and I think he should be heavily considered for the Tony this year.

Overall, this really is a phenomenal show with some phenomenal performances and some phenomenal direction.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#206ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 8:12am

I personally consider this to be weak material (very thin plot with cardboard thin characters) with a lush score - so I'm so, so impressed that Arden and team (as well as a few great voices) can turn this into a magical night at the theatre! I can't think of a better example of a show I've seen recently (if ever) that elevates the material far above its intrinsic value. I'm starting to question some of the assumptions I have about what makes for an enjoyable musical.

You know for a second watching this show I was thinking that so-called "SJWs" must find solace in this show - set in a non-white country, featuring a non-white cast, having boys play girls and girls play boys (well, not so literally but still). I found it a little frustrating to read back and see that OF COURSE someone in the twitter/facebookverse had to find something to complain about and trot out the word 'problematic' - which has pretty much lost all meaning now. I honestly believe if "The Color Purple" were revived right now again there would be world-wide protests that it is racist and sexist because it is directed by John Doyle.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#207ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 9:00am

qolbinau said: "I personally consider this to be weak material (very thin plot with cardboard thin characters) with a lush score - so I'm so, so impressed that Arden and team (as well as a few great voices) can turn this into a magical night at the theatre! I can't think of a better example of a show I've seen recently (if ever) that elevates the material far above its intrinsic value. I'm starting to question some of the assumptions I have about what makes for an enjoyable musical.

You know for a second watching this show I was thinking that so-called "SJWs" must find solace in this show - set in a non-white country, featuring a non-white cast, having boys play girls and girls play boys (well, not so literally but still). I found it a little frustrating to read back and see that OF COURSE someone in the twitter/facebookverse had to find something to complain about and trot out the word 'problematic' - which has pretty much lost all meaning now. I honestly believe if "The Color Purple" were revived right now again there would be world-wide protests that it is racist and sexist because it is directed by John Doyle.
"

This is a pretty ignorant and black-and-white statement. Something can be good and beautiful and still be problematic. How does someone having an issue with a show affect you?

Updated On: 1/23/18 at 09:00 AM

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#208ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 2:16pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Overall, this really is a phenomenal show with some phenomenal performances and some phenomenal direction."

I saw this production and LOVED IT!  I went in without any expectations and loved the magic of it all.  

All I have to say is that the audience for this can't see it because the seats are too expensive.  

GeorgeandDot
#209ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/23/18 at 3:07pm

I agree that the target audience can't afford to buy tickets aside from through the lottery or through standing room.

Also, yeah I agree that the plot is thin, but it's a fairytale/fable, so it doesn't really bother me. If you have a problem, you may have to take that up with Hans Christian Anderson.

thinton
#210ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/24/18 at 7:44pm

What time does the pre-show start?  I want to make sure I don't miss it.

AntV
#211ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/24/18 at 8:02pm

Last week the preshow started at X:55. I thought I saw people say the preshow starts as soon as the house opens. Is this just another thing they've cut from this production?

Though the young girl and chicken are sitting there as soon as the house opens, but they just sit there.

Dancingthrulife2
#212ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/24/18 at 10:54pm

Lot666 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "arrive early, because you don’t want to miss the cute goat"

I love goats. Do your seats have to be in a particular area to see him?

"

Anywhere in the front row except the two sides should be fine.

Dancingthrulife2
#213ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/24/18 at 11:00pm

I gave some thought to the plot the other day and thought the message (my interpretation) is kind of, um, peculiar? It shows you beautifully that love can conquer anything even death, yet it also blisteringly points out that the class stratification is an unfortunate exception. Does anyone also find this kind of troubling?

The controversy about Isaac Powell reminds me of this article about albino African Americans. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/12/07/457147952/people-of-color-with-albinism-ask-where-do-i-belong It's uncomfortable to think that just because one's skin is lighter it means other people can dismiss the culture and heritage he/she/they is carrying. 

Updated On: 1/24/18 at 11:00 PM

paiger99
#214ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/27/18 at 10:35pm

Looking for advice on where to sit.  It looks like the 200s are probably best.  I've seen comments that if you sit in the front row you are too close to the action and can miss certain aspects.  But also when looking at picture and view sites it looks like the pitch of this theater is not very steep so as I am a short person, will there be an issue with the person in front of me blocking my view?  Appreciate any recommendations.

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#215ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 1/28/18 at 1:04am

paiger99 said: "Looking for advice on where to sit. It looks like the 200s are probably best. I've seen comments that if you sit in the front row you are too close to the action and can miss certain aspects. But also when looking at picture and view sites it looks like the pitch of this theater is not very steep so as I am a short person, will there be an issue with the person in front of me blocking my view? Appreciate any recommendations."

OK, I have sat in every section except 400. I understand everyone says that there isn't a bad seat in the house I must agree. But I do have a favorite! The Even 200's! I was just in D 216 and just seemed to hit everything perfectly, but this is just my opinion. But rows C-F, to me, are perfect cause the are back far enough to take everything in and the seats are raked enough to not have heads in your way! 

Sit back and enjoy! What an experience this show is!!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#216ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/16/18 at 10:36am

Saw this on Tuesday, and I echo the praise throughout this thread. Kilgore, who I didn't love in the press footage, makes an incredible debut. It's a shame Norm Lewis won't be on the cast album, as his version of "Rain" is spectacular.

Does anyone else think Kenita Miller may be able to sneak in a Featured Actress nomination? She's a standout, and unlike the Gods she is in much of the show (even her maid character at the Ball was a delight). 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#217ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/16/18 at 10:40am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Does anyone else think Kenita Miller may be able to sneak in a Featured Actress nomination?"

THANK YOU! I've been feeling like I'm the only one who was totally bowled over by Miller's performance. I was drawn to her almost every time she was on stage. I would love to see her get recognized.

GeorgeandDot
#218ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/17/18 at 5:05pm

Any word when we might hear a bit of the cast album? It's coming out next Friday, but we tend to get some sort of early streaming somewhere before. I'm dying to hear it.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#219ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 12:27am

Sorry to be "that person," but does anyone have an update on the lottery for this? I'm visiting NYC this weekend, and I have exactly one opportunity to see this: the Saturday matinee. Including the more expensive "loser" tickets, about how many have they been offering, and about how many people have been showing up on weekends? Thanks!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#220ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 12:29am

I saw this tonight, Monday 2/19, and we tried the lotto and lost and they announced other seats for lotto losers, and we won, and then, after we had gotten our tickets, they sold standing room. I LOVED this production. Honestly gorgeous and thoughtful. The show itself? Eh. It's about light skin vs. dark skin, she loses and becomes  a tree. Not sure we need that. But I sat next to a father and his son, across from me was a mother and her very gay son, and across was a family with their 2 children, so happy to see that, but why aren't black/ethnic people coming out to see this show? 

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#221ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 7:48am

LuminousBeing said: "Sorry to be "that person," but does anyone have an update on the lottery for this? I'm visiting NYC this weekend, and I have exactly one opportunity to see this: the Saturday matinee. Including the more expensive "loser" tickets, about how many have they been offering, and about how many people have been showing up on weekends? Thanks!"

I went on a Friday night so I can’t soeak for the weekend, but when I got there, the girl taking lotto entries said the odds were “Incredible.”  I think they pulled about 40 names for the winners tickets and then she had a good amount of loser lotto tickets as well. So much so that I’m pretty sure anyone who had entered their name got in. My seats were in row E and were wonderful. Even at the loser price of $59.50, I have 0 complaints.

I’m fairly confident you would get tickets for the matinee. Worst case, the theater is just a few blocks away from the TKTS booth, and since the show isn’t selling well, it’s almost always there. You find out about an hour before showtime once all the name drawing is done, but, sadly, it seems like there are plenty of seats available. Which is a shame, as I thought the production was FANTASTIC. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#222ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 10:34am

We did lottery tonight and prob a hundred people were there. Everyone got seats. Some for 49.50, some for 59.50 and then it looked some people even got standing room. They did their best to get everyone in and pack the house.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#223ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 1:56pm

Thanks so much for the updates about lotto/SRO! I feel much better about my chances. I'm grateful that the producers are doing their best to help people who show up for the lottery see the show affordably.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#224ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 2/20/18 at 4:54pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Any word when we might hear a bit of the cast album? It's coming out next Friday, but we tend to get some sort of early streaming somewhere before. I'm dying to hear it."

I have been furiously googling this for the last few days to see if NPR or EW is doing a 'first listen.' I honestly can't remember the last time I was so excited about a cast recording! Friday can't come soon enough. It's gonna be so good. 

Videos